Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My Update

Posted by Dawn F on 1/03/00 at 00:00 (014336)

Hello everyone and Happy New Year!!!

I have only posted here once, but I have read many, many messaged in the archives. I thank you all soooo much for posting what worked and what didn't. I am doing the same now.

I have experienced definate relief with the following practices:

1. stretcing the calves before getting out of bed.
2. streching the calves whenever possible during the day.
3. wearing shoes with arch support whenever I am standing (never walk barefoot!!!! It is the mistake I made for months. I thought my foot would be better off if I kept it bare - in its 'natural' state. MISTAKE! I have simple walking shoes what have the American Podiatrists (whatever they are) approval.
4. working out the muscles of my foot by 'tracing' the leters of the alphabet without a shoe on. This really makes my foot happy! I had bad foot cramps the first few times I tried it, but I decided to keep it up for a while and soon the cramps stopped and my foot feels great after its 'alphabet workout.'
5. 1000 mg of vitamin C daily to encourage collagen development.

I plan to work in other treatments as time goes on. I desperately need to develope a new exercise routine. I am an avid runner and no other exercise has ever captured my heart like running has. However, I have been unable to run for 6 months now (sob!) and have the extra pounds to show for it. The weight gain will only exacerbate the PF as you know.

So thanks to all of you who continue to post your success and lack of success too. I really appreciate this forum where we can help one another. The posts of so many of you have taught me steps i can take to walk relatively pain-free again. With this has come hope that I might be able to beat this thing.

Re: My Update

Elise M. on 1/03/00 at 00:00 (014339)

Dear Dawn,
I too, used to run daily and miss it terribly. I've been advised to take up water running to avoid anymore injury to the fascia. It's not the same as land running, but you do get your cardio workout. I have put on 25 pounds since this thing set in and it is frustrating. Not only do I not feel good, I don't look good anymore. BUT, I keep reminding myself that this is only for a season. I am back to working out daily with losing weight a NUMBER ONE PRIORITY. As far as arch supports, I found they only make my feet worse. I recently bought a New Balance running shoe #877 which makes all the difference in the world. They have become my most prized possession because they allow me to walk all day without limping. Even if I've chosen to wear another shoe (all my shoes are now sneakers) and my feet start to ache, I can put on the 877's and it diminishes the pain. Good luck to you, keep in touch...El

dawn on 1/03/00 at 00:00 (014351)

hop on the old excerise bike and do 40 min to an hour. that is what i do.

Elise M. on 1/03/00 at 00:00 (014339)

Dear Dawn,
I too, used to run daily and miss it terribly. I've been advised to take up water running to avoid anymore injury to the fascia. It's not the same as land running, but you do get your cardio workout. I have put on 25 pounds since this thing set in and it is frustrating. Not only do I not feel good, I don't look good anymore. BUT, I keep reminding myself that this is only for a season. I am back to working out daily with losing weight a NUMBER ONE PRIORITY. As far as arch supports, I found they only make my feet worse. I recently bought a New Balance running shoe #877 which makes all the difference in the world. They have become my most prized possession because they allow me to walk all day without limping. Even if I've chosen to wear another shoe (all my shoes are now sneakers) and my feet start to ache, I can put on the 877's and it diminishes the pain. Good luck to you, keep in touch...El

dawn on 1/03/00 at 00:00 (014351)

hop on the old excerise bike and do 40 min to an hour. that is what i do.