Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

plantar fasciitis

Posted by Bill F. on 1/03/00 at 00:00 (014352)

Has anyone out there ever hear of a procedure called 'ultrasound guided injection'. If you have would appreciate hearing from you and thanks. Bill at BFeld29666@aol.com

Re: plantar fasciitis

Dan W on 12/20/99 at 00:00 (013973)

Dear Alison, you need to rest now, and maybe for along time to come. Do take advice from long term sufferers, and dont overdue it. You are young yet and probably will recover at some point, but it will take many months resting with foot elevated. Hot bath soaks in epsom salts are beneficial along with stretching, anti-inflamatories, ice and a great deal of patience. The pain is telling you to listen. Runnig is now the least important and could lead to further disability. Dont get depressed, hang in there, there are other ways of exercising, dont push it.

Alison on 12/20/99 at 00:00 (013975)

Thank you for responding so quickly. I am going to try and rest it as much as possible. What form of exercising would you suggest? How long have you been suffering? Thank you again for responding.

John V on 12/20/99 at 00:00 (013977)

Do not try to run through it. i made that mistake and have paid for it. Get your aerobic exercise some other way--I recommend biking. Even when your foot (feet?) start to feel better, take it slow--its very easy to reinjure yourself and become a truly chronic case. My own opinion is that your efforts should be directed at finding out why you have incurred the injury. With someone who is young, in shape, and didn't do the sudden over exertion thing, I think you need to look at stride or gait irregularities or something mechanical in your running. Contrary to the experience of some posting on this board, I think a custom orthotic has helped me a lot. Good luck

Nancy S. on 12/20/99 at 00:00 (013983)

Dear Alison,
You are young and I suspect should be able to look forward to returning to running at some point. But read everything on this site -- Scott's 25 pages and the many messages on this message board, also the archived messages -- there is a wealth of information here, far more than any one doctor can give you. All of us have had to give up, at least for some time, favorite activities that involve our feet (I am having to basically give up my work as an antiques dealer, which I dearly love, for the foreseeable future). It is a hard wall of reality to hit, but it's the only way to heal -- all your attention must go to paying attention to the pain you feel, avoiding activities that bring it on, and learning techniques (such as stretching and icing and many others mentioned on this board) to help yourself heal. Don't despair -- it's a process, with bad and not-so-bad days and sometimes good days, which hopefully with good treatment and self-care will increase with time. I have had this for 8 months, and was seeing a podiatrist who did not teach me nearly enough about taking care of my foot. I've fired him -- after getting good advice from people here -- and am taking much better care of my foot now, and am trying an osteopath in January. I am trying to rest my foot seriously now, but I am feeling the lack of activity I've had in my work before this struck, and no activity doesn't help one's outlook either. I'm planning to try swimming, which many people here have recommended. Others bike (as mentioned above), others do floor exercises that don't put weight on the foot. Don't worry -- I think many people who post here, such as myself, are older than you and thus have a harder time healing. I also think many people heal and never come to this site; most of us here have more-difficult-than-average cases, due to age or not getting treatment for too long a time or having other health complications. Best of luck to you, and keep us posted on how you're doing. Read everything here, and keep asking questions if you have them, as you'll see we all do continuously! By the way, I don't mean to imply that all podiatrists are rotten just because mine was. A lot of people seem to be helped by physical therapists, which it sounds like you haven't tried yet. Also acupuncture, and others. Just be sure to educate yourself about this condition so you can ask good questions and have reasonable expectations when you see a doctor.
Nancy S.

Hankc on 12/21/99 at 00:00 (013988)

Alison,
I've had PF for 14 months now and am currently in an aircast (i.e.
a walking cast like yours). I've only recently tried this approach
and am definitely seeing some improvement. I also love to run and
competed quite a bit in triathlons. As many other folks have stated
on this board, PF can cause some big emotional hits if you have to
relinquish a activities you love. However, you must learn to adapt
and to be patient. You will win the battle with PF. You're quite
young; I'm 43 so don't heal as quickly. As far as athletics is
cocnerned I've decided to train for a 2 mile ocean swim next summer.
It's a race hosted by the marines at camp Lejeune in NC. Biking
(at least spin cycling) aggravates my PF thus I've opted for swimming. As I'm not exactly an olympic caliber swimmer this upcoming
race will definitely be a challenge. My goal is to complete it not
win it. Keep your options open and adapt - you'll overcome this
injury and be the wiser for it.
best, Hank

AnnetteG on 12/21/99 at 00:00 (013989)

Hi Alison,
I have stopped running for a bout a month now, I have been running for years and just recently (around a year and a half ago) started adding on the milage and have been running marathons, since then, this pf happened and I have been running in pain ever since. I miss running terribly, Ihave been running since high school and 24 years later I am lost. But I guess that I am getting used to it(I never thought that I would say this) but I have gotten into other forms of exersize, I hav been into weight training for a few years so now I am really shaping up, I thought that I was going to blow up like a baloon but I havent,along with the weight training, I am swimming, working the stair machine(but only up to 30 minutes, this may even be too much) biking and other various machines at the gym,
in a way this is good, because I was becoming a bit obsessive about the running, and have always wanted to try diferent things, so now I am forced to, hopfully I will be a better triathilete when all of this is through.
take care,
Annette

Alison on 12/21/99 at 00:00 (013998)

Thank you all so much for responding so quickly. You've made me feel so much better. I hope you keep me posted with your treatment and I will let you know how I am doing. I am going to follow your advice. You all know how frustrating this can be. I cannot thank you enough.

BillC on 1/04/00 at 00:00 (014357)

I saw a news article on TV about this procedure. It is supposed to give the Dr. a better target at your PF inflamation. Rather than pressing on your foot and shooting where it hurts the most. I think mass or shadows show up where the PF problem is.

Dan W on 12/20/99 at 00:00 (013973)

Dear Alison, you need to rest now, and maybe for along time to come. Do take advice from long term sufferers, and dont overdue it. You are young yet and probably will recover at some point, but it will take many months resting with foot elevated. Hot bath soaks in epsom salts are beneficial along with stretching, anti-inflamatories, ice and a great deal of patience. The pain is telling you to listen. Runnig is now the least important and could lead to further disability. Dont get depressed, hang in there, there are other ways of exercising, dont push it.

Alison on 12/20/99 at 00:00 (013975)

Thank you for responding so quickly. I am going to try and rest it as much as possible. What form of exercising would you suggest? How long have you been suffering? Thank you again for responding.

John V on 12/20/99 at 00:00 (013977)

Do not try to run through it. i made that mistake and have paid for it. Get your aerobic exercise some other way--I recommend biking. Even when your foot (feet?) start to feel better, take it slow--its very easy to reinjure yourself and become a truly chronic case. My own opinion is that your efforts should be directed at finding out why you have incurred the injury. With someone who is young, in shape, and didn't do the sudden over exertion thing, I think you need to look at stride or gait irregularities or something mechanical in your running. Contrary to the experience of some posting on this board, I think a custom orthotic has helped me a lot. Good luck

Nancy S. on 12/20/99 at 00:00 (013983)

Dear Alison,
You are young and I suspect should be able to look forward to returning to running at some point. But read everything on this site -- Scott's 25 pages and the many messages on this message board, also the archived messages -- there is a wealth of information here, far more than any one doctor can give you. All of us have had to give up, at least for some time, favorite activities that involve our feet (I am having to basically give up my work as an antiques dealer, which I dearly love, for the foreseeable future). It is a hard wall of reality to hit, but it's the only way to heal -- all your attention must go to paying attention to the pain you feel, avoiding activities that bring it on, and learning techniques (such as stretching and icing and many others mentioned on this board) to help yourself heal. Don't despair -- it's a process, with bad and not-so-bad days and sometimes good days, which hopefully with good treatment and self-care will increase with time. I have had this for 8 months, and was seeing a podiatrist who did not teach me nearly enough about taking care of my foot. I've fired him -- after getting good advice from people here -- and am taking much better care of my foot now, and am trying an osteopath in January. I am trying to rest my foot seriously now, but I am feeling the lack of activity I've had in my work before this struck, and no activity doesn't help one's outlook either. I'm planning to try swimming, which many people here have recommended. Others bike (as mentioned above), others do floor exercises that don't put weight on the foot. Don't worry -- I think many people who post here, such as myself, are older than you and thus have a harder time healing. I also think many people heal and never come to this site; most of us here have more-difficult-than-average cases, due to age or not getting treatment for too long a time or having other health complications. Best of luck to you, and keep us posted on how you're doing. Read everything here, and keep asking questions if you have them, as you'll see we all do continuously! By the way, I don't mean to imply that all podiatrists are rotten just because mine was. A lot of people seem to be helped by physical therapists, which it sounds like you haven't tried yet. Also acupuncture, and others. Just be sure to educate yourself about this condition so you can ask good questions and have reasonable expectations when you see a doctor.
Nancy S.

Hankc on 12/21/99 at 00:00 (013988)

Alison,
I've had PF for 14 months now and am currently in an aircast (i.e.
a walking cast like yours). I've only recently tried this approach
and am definitely seeing some improvement. I also love to run and
competed quite a bit in triathlons. As many other folks have stated
on this board, PF can cause some big emotional hits if you have to
relinquish a activities you love. However, you must learn to adapt
and to be patient. You will win the battle with PF. You're quite
young; I'm 43 so don't heal as quickly. As far as athletics is
cocnerned I've decided to train for a 2 mile ocean swim next summer.
It's a race hosted by the marines at camp Lejeune in NC. Biking
(at least spin cycling) aggravates my PF thus I've opted for swimming. As I'm not exactly an olympic caliber swimmer this upcoming
race will definitely be a challenge. My goal is to complete it not
win it. Keep your options open and adapt - you'll overcome this
injury and be the wiser for it.
best, Hank

AnnetteG on 12/21/99 at 00:00 (013989)

Hi Alison,
I have stopped running for a bout a month now, I have been running for years and just recently (around a year and a half ago) started adding on the milage and have been running marathons, since then, this pf happened and I have been running in pain ever since. I miss running terribly, Ihave been running since high school and 24 years later I am lost. But I guess that I am getting used to it(I never thought that I would say this) but I have gotten into other forms of exersize, I hav been into weight training for a few years so now I am really shaping up, I thought that I was going to blow up like a baloon but I havent,along with the weight training, I am swimming, working the stair machine(but only up to 30 minutes, this may even be too much) biking and other various machines at the gym,
in a way this is good, because I was becoming a bit obsessive about the running, and have always wanted to try diferent things, so now I am forced to, hopfully I will be a better triathilete when all of this is through.
take care,
Annette

Alison on 12/21/99 at 00:00 (013998)

Thank you all so much for responding so quickly. You've made me feel so much better. I hope you keep me posted with your treatment and I will let you know how I am doing. I am going to follow your advice. You all know how frustrating this can be. I cannot thank you enough.

BillC on 1/04/00 at 00:00 (014357)

I saw a news article on TV about this procedure. It is supposed to give the Dr. a better target at your PF inflamation. Rather than pressing on your foot and shooting where it hurts the most. I think mass or shadows show up where the PF problem is.