Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: John and Alan, give yourselves the needed foot rest

Posted by Robin B. on 1/04/00 at 00:00 (014383)

You're both right -- aside from the pain, one of the worst things about PF is how you can't do anything. People twice your age can do four times more than you -- and it's ultra depressing to say the least.

But please, both of you -- give yourself the continued rest and time off your feet that your feet demand. It doesn't get better standing on your feet wrapping presents or walking the mall with your wife or helping your kid sell Girl Scout cookies door to door. At least for this small period of your life, you will have to forfeit some of those enjoyments and responsibilities.

I'm 50 -- so there are indeed people on this board who probably think I'm ooooold. But believe me, I used to walk 4 to 5 miles a day and wear a size 10. I stopped walking for around 20 months thanks to PF. One week I actually calculated the amount of time I spent on my feet per day. Counting everything (taking a shower, making dinner, buy groceries, walking to the car) it turned out to be less than 2 hours a day. Every other hour was either asleep in bed or -- the world famous position for PF sufferers -- on my butt.

I get a kick out of people on this board complaining vociferously about the weight gain. I would LOVE to lose some of the weight I have gained, and I am indeed trying -- but I'm not obsessing about it. When you're in 24 hour chronic pain with your feet, you get to the point where the No. 1 all-time concern is relieving the pain, not losing the weight.

I have been fortunate. I have been able to walk about 1 mile a day for the past 9 or 10 days, which is like a miracle to me. Today, I walked 2 miles (separately, not together) and it was a milestone. I may never get beyond that. I have given away my size 10's and bought some larger clothes. But I still pamper and baby my feet. I still lightly massage. I still ice them down after walking. I still try excessively hard to to re-injure or re-damage.

In the midst of my worst pain, I remember thinking how much I resented the PF itself. Even though I always tried to focus on living life and enjoying what I COULD do rather than focusing on what I couldn't do -- nevertheless, I made all my daily decisions based on my feet. If I had to grocery shop on Saturday, then I couldn't vacuum that day or wash the kitchen floor. If I went to the library or a bookstore, I would have to limit myself to 20 minutes, 30 tops -- then nothing else strenuous for the rest of the day. It was the pits. I suspect, it still is.

PF is also terribly hard because, in truth, it's not a particularly serious condition. It's not cancer or leukemia. It's not blindness or deafness. It's not lethal or life-threatening. In fact, lots of people recover from it within a couple of months. (Except for us hard cores.) So it is impossible for people outside the circle of chronic pain to understand what you're going through. It's a silly little condition that's not serious, not lethal, not cancerous, not life-threatening -- but it can stop your life dead in its tracks for years on end, empty your wallet, keep you from activities you love, help you to lose friends and annoy your family.

All I can tell you is that last year at this time, my pain was 24-hours a day, sitting, standing or lying down, and I was struggling just to get through an average day. It's no day at the beach a year later -- but it IS about 50-60% improved over last year. I attribute some of the success to my non-stop accommodation of the condition -- pampering and babying my feet as much as necessary, as much as I could. Be kind to yourself, guys -- stay off those feet if you can while you progress in your own treatment.

john a on 1/05/00 at 00:00 (014398)

Man, with eloquent descriptions like this, of the havoc PF wrecks on the lives of its sufferers, how can we NOT be getting more media coverage?! Someone should collect these tales of woe and send them off to all the health departments of all the major news networks.

alan k on 1/06/00 at 00:00 (014413)

Thanks for your generous response. It was helpful somehow to see you thought and feeling processes, which were identical to mine, and probably a lot of other people here. I wonder why it is comforting to see that others feel the same?

About rest-- I don't know how I got lumped in with John the present-wrapping bandit. I am a terrible loafer, and spend less time on my feet than probably almost anyone here. Maybe there was my one week of foot exersizes and exercycling. I have discontinued that after one week of vainly testing out the limits of other pf/tts sufferers' experience, and found that I too have to rest my feet continuously.

Birkenstocks and rest are the only things that have definitely helped, but I am still looking for a cure.

alan k
Rest and Birks

john a on 1/05/00 at 00:00 (014398)

Man, with eloquent descriptions like this, of the havoc PF wrecks on the lives of its sufferers, how can we NOT be getting more media coverage?! Someone should collect these tales of woe and send them off to all the health departments of all the major news networks.

alan k on 1/06/00 at 00:00 (014413)

Thanks for your generous response. It was helpful somehow to see you thought and feeling processes, which were identical to mine, and probably a lot of other people here. I wonder why it is comforting to see that others feel the same?

About rest-- I don't know how I got lumped in with John the present-wrapping bandit. I am a terrible loafer, and spend less time on my feet than probably almost anyone here. Maybe there was my one week of foot exersizes and exercycling. I have discontinued that after one week of vainly testing out the limits of other pf/tts sufferers' experience, and found that I too have to rest my feet continuously.

Birkenstocks and rest are the only things that have definitely helped, but I am still looking for a cure.

alan k
Rest and Birks