Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

curious about what tarsal tunnel ,nerve entrapment,etc

Posted by caryne on 1/05/00 at 00:00 (014405)

Basically I'm doing much better now and I'm in orthodics but podiatrist says I have a mass on my heel and the nerve that goes under the heel is what causes my pain sometimes because the mass puts pressure on it...is that the same as this nerve entrapment or tt I've been reading about in the latest posts? When I try to go off my vioxx the pain comes roaring back...I had been hoping that I was actually getting better. Just curious

Re: curious about what tarsal tunnel ,nerve entrapment,etc

john h on 1/06/00 at 00:00 (014415)

i think TTS is generally construed to mean a nerve is entrapped in the tarsal tunnel area of the ankle. There is a major nerve that runs under the inside area of the foot just forward of the heel and perhaps under the heel known as the 'Baxter Nerve'. Some PF procedures (i had one) remove a small wedge of fascia over this nerve ro reduce compression and pain. This is the PF Release procedure developed by Dr Baxter a well know orthopedic surgeon in Houston. Certainly any mass over a nerve could cause pain. I would want to know (1) what is and why the mass? (2) A 2nd opinion

Mary J. on 1/09/00 at 00:00 (014507)

John, How is this Baxter nerve trapped by the facia diagnosed? I have had PF (maybe) in my left foot for almost 4 years with no help from anything except rest, the pf board and mail order orthotics. Custom orthotics did not help as much as a simple plastic orthotic with no arch support and just a bump (over the fascia) just before the ball of the foot. I don't believe I have TTS because I have none of the usual symptoms. I have very little pain in the morning, and stretching does not help. It hurts. But I have heel, fascia and back leg pain anytime I stand or walk. I also had a negative MRI and bone scan. Did the Baxter surgery work for you? I hope so. It's so nice to hear when someone with PF (or heel pain) is better.

alan k on 1/10/00 at 00:00 (014518)

I am confused about your statement that you don't believe you have tts because of none of the usual symptoms. You say you don't have pain in the morning, but that is not a tts symptom, but a pf one. Often tts is distinguished from pf, or it begins to be suspected, because of no morning pain, pain from standing in one place, and pain that builds up over use during day, rather than getting 'cold' after sitting or sleeping, like pf.

Do you have numbness, tingling?

alan k

Mary J. on 1/10/00 at 00:00 (014519)

I have no tingling or numbness. There is no reaction from tapping on the nerve. I do have pain in the whole Achilles region which started when I took PT. That's why I became interested in the symtoms of Baxter nerve problem.

alan k on 1/10/00 at 00:00 (014522)

Maybe you should post again on the baxter nerve, since your message is way back here now.

Sounds like you have Achilles tendonitis, which could complicate pf.

alan k

john h on 1/06/00 at 00:00 (014415)

i think TTS is generally construed to mean a nerve is entrapped in the tarsal tunnel area of the ankle. There is a major nerve that runs under the inside area of the foot just forward of the heel and perhaps under the heel known as the 'Baxter Nerve'. Some PF procedures (i had one) remove a small wedge of fascia over this nerve ro reduce compression and pain. This is the PF Release procedure developed by Dr Baxter a well know orthopedic surgeon in Houston. Certainly any mass over a nerve could cause pain. I would want to know (1) what is and why the mass? (2) A 2nd opinion

Mary J. on 1/09/00 at 00:00 (014507)

John, How is this Baxter nerve trapped by the facia diagnosed? I have had PF (maybe) in my left foot for almost 4 years with no help from anything except rest, the pf board and mail order orthotics. Custom orthotics did not help as much as a simple plastic orthotic with no arch support and just a bump (over the fascia) just before the ball of the foot. I don't believe I have TTS because I have none of the usual symptoms. I have very little pain in the morning, and stretching does not help. It hurts. But I have heel, fascia and back leg pain anytime I stand or walk. I also had a negative MRI and bone scan. Did the Baxter surgery work for you? I hope so. It's so nice to hear when someone with PF (or heel pain) is better.

alan k on 1/10/00 at 00:00 (014518)

I am confused about your statement that you don't believe you have tts because of none of the usual symptoms. You say you don't have pain in the morning, but that is not a tts symptom, but a pf one. Often tts is distinguished from pf, or it begins to be suspected, because of no morning pain, pain from standing in one place, and pain that builds up over use during day, rather than getting 'cold' after sitting or sleeping, like pf.

Do you have numbness, tingling?

alan k

Mary J. on 1/10/00 at 00:00 (014519)

I have no tingling or numbness. There is no reaction from tapping on the nerve. I do have pain in the whole Achilles region which started when I took PT. That's why I became interested in the symtoms of Baxter nerve problem.

alan k on 1/10/00 at 00:00 (014522)

Maybe you should post again on the baxter nerve, since your message is way back here now.

Sounds like you have Achilles tendonitis, which could complicate pf.

alan k