Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ossatron? Anyone done this in Canada?

Posted by Brad on 1/07/00 at 00:00 (014431)

Okay I've had PF on my Left for about 6 mo's now. Strech my 24' calves a lot w/ not much success. Off Feldene now, but using Ibuprofen low dosages.
Has anyone done the Ossatron shock thing to remove the spurs from their heels?? In Canada?
My Podiatrist said its my irritation of the Plantar Fascia that causes me pain, not the spur. I'm not buying it because why does my pain get better when I walk on my left ball (front?) without touching my heel to the ground for a couple days. This technique would seem to make the pain worse if it was strictly 'irritated plantar fascia', but on me it doesn't seem to. ???

Any ideas would be appreciated.
e-mail if you like.
Brad in Reno

Re: Ossatron? Anyone done this in Canada?

john a on 1/07/00 at 00:00 (014435)

It is my understanding that the Ossotron uses 'shock waves' to traumatize the painful area so as to induce healing. I don't think it would actually remove the heel spur. Perhaps it 'pulverizes' it somewhat, but I am not sure. I think it is also true that no one can say definitively exactly HOW the ossatron achieve its effects, it being somewhat of a mystery cure (but please show me I'm wrong on this if anyone has the info!). But the benefits appear to be real as at least half a dozen people on this board will attest to.

As for your somewhat controversial idea that the spur itself can be the cause of the pain IN AT LEAST SOME CASES, rather than 'merely' the effect of plantar fascial stress, I tend to agree with you, particularly in my own case. Yes, there are plenty of people with spurs and no pain, and people with pain and no spur, but there are also lots of people with no spurs and no pain, and pain _and_ spurs.

Jennh on 1/09/00 at 00:00 (014496)

I know that Mr Canada had the Ossatron done. I think he has 24' calves too. You might want to check with him.

john a on 1/07/00 at 00:00 (014435)

It is my understanding that the Ossotron uses 'shock waves' to traumatize the painful area so as to induce healing. I don't think it would actually remove the heel spur. Perhaps it 'pulverizes' it somewhat, but I am not sure. I think it is also true that no one can say definitively exactly HOW the ossatron achieve its effects, it being somewhat of a mystery cure (but please show me I'm wrong on this if anyone has the info!). But the benefits appear to be real as at least half a dozen people on this board will attest to.

As for your somewhat controversial idea that the spur itself can be the cause of the pain IN AT LEAST SOME CASES, rather than 'merely' the effect of plantar fascial stress, I tend to agree with you, particularly in my own case. Yes, there are plenty of people with spurs and no pain, and people with pain and no spur, but there are also lots of people with no spurs and no pain, and pain _and_ spurs.

Jennh on 1/09/00 at 00:00 (014496)

I know that Mr Canada had the Ossatron done. I think he has 24' calves too. You might want to check with him.