Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

yoga advice

Posted by Tali T on 1/07/00 at 00:00 (014451)

My yoga instructor recommends strengthening all the leg muscles through isometric exercise, doing forward bends to align the leg muscles correctly, and conducting deep-tissue massage of the hip, around the knee, and lower calf. That is, strength and correct alignment of the leg muscles should relieve strain on the arch naturally. Also, try to avoid walking on the outside of your foot because this will cause misalignment of the leg, strain on the knee, and prevent healing. I have been doing all these things and am feeling much better - the massage is painful at the time, but really works.

Re: yoga advice

Stuart b on 1/08/00 at 00:00 (014463)

I love doing yoga, but find I have to be so careful everytime I go back to it or I hurt my damn foot. I can do standing poses that keep both feet flat and easy on the floor but nothing that stretches them. I modify some of the poses so I do them on my knees - better than nothing I feel. Can you let me know more of the excersises recommended. My instructor tried working on my feet but I think it may have made things worse! Have a lovely time. Stuart.

annm on 1/10/00 at 00:00 (014524)

I just started yoga classes last week. I found that my feet cramped up terribly. I had a very hard time with exercises that you had to sit back on your feet. Any advice?? Should I not be doing this particular exercise. The class is through the YMCA. There is not time for individual attention.

Thanks

Stuart b on 1/08/00 at 00:00 (014463)

I love doing yoga, but find I have to be so careful everytime I go back to it or I hurt my damn foot. I can do standing poses that keep both feet flat and easy on the floor but nothing that stretches them. I modify some of the poses so I do them on my knees - better than nothing I feel. Can you let me know more of the excersises recommended. My instructor tried working on my feet but I think it may have made things worse! Have a lovely time. Stuart.

annm on 1/10/00 at 00:00 (014524)

I just started yoga classes last week. I found that my feet cramped up terribly. I had a very hard time with exercises that you had to sit back on your feet. Any advice?? Should I not be doing this particular exercise. The class is through the YMCA. There is not time for individual attention.

Thanks