Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How do you know what kind of arches your feet have

Posted by Nancy S. on 1/09/00 at 00:00 (014511)

No one has ever told me whether I have high arches, mediocre arches, or pitifully low arches. Can one find this out by examining one's own feet? What criteria do I use, if so?
A little off the subject, but my brother has incredibly high arches and years ago had a terrible time with foot pain for a year or two. He saw doctor after doctor. Finally ended up at an ortho surgeon's office, and the doc's eyes bugged out when he saw my brother's feet; he said, 'Why, those feet don't even look human!' Then he said, 'You know, you're going to have a lot of trouble with those feet when you get older.' My brother replied, 'I'm having a lot of trouble with them NOW!' Doctor wanted to do surgery, but my brother moved to Moab, Utah, instead, and his feet were cured.
-- Nancy S.

Re: How do you know what kind of arches your feet have

dang dave on 1/09/00 at 00:00 (014516)

It's not cut and dried. But if your brother has extremely high arches you probably do too. I have moderately high ones, but not extreme. I think it tends to run with 'ecktomorphic' types, or average types more than heavyset types. There is nothing wrong with high arches until you carry too much weight, or stress them too much. In my case long work hours with cheap shoes in my past, and now above average weight for a used-to-be skinny guy. Also, taking up 'trail running' and backpacking in my middle years too helps to bring back p.f. I think with age the arch tends of collapse if not strenghtened with arch support ... and preferrable moderate good exercise. I think my latest spasm of pain for the last 6 monthes was due to spending so much time on my butt on line, eating a lot, and then trying to go run like a 19 year old.

Also, note I've gained a half size on my shoe size another indicator of collapsing feet... and is fairly normal with age I hear.
My landlord's a size 11 or something where she used to have petite feet 4 or something when she was young and she's now retired from farming, where she spent 10-14 hours a day on her feet milking and careing for dairy cows.

take care of your feet and keep 'em in shape. again I say stretching and strengthening the calves, massageing the feet and enjoying ice cold and warm hot bathing of the feet at least once a day and if that fails try to get a cortisone shot once or twice. That's worked so far for me... and buying a good boot or shoe, like my German made Lowa's also with a custom injected insert by smartfeet.

I think more of the people on this page need to really consider more exercise of the leg muscles (calves esp.) so to strengthen muscles to take pressure off bottom of foot.

Re: How do you know what kind of arches your feet have

dang dave on 1/09/00 at 00:00 (014516)

It's not cut and dried. But if your brother has extremely high arches you probably do too. I have moderately high ones, but not extreme. I think it tends to run with 'ecktomorphic' types, or average types more than heavyset types. There is nothing wrong with high arches until you carry too much weight, or stress them too much. In my case long work hours with cheap shoes in my past, and now above average weight for a used-to-be skinny guy. Also, taking up 'trail running' and backpacking in my middle years too helps to bring back p.f. I think with age the arch tends of collapse if not strenghtened with arch support ... and preferrable moderate good exercise. I think my latest spasm of pain for the last 6 monthes was due to spending so much time on my butt on line, eating a lot, and then trying to go run like a 19 year old.

Also, note I've gained a half size on my shoe size another indicator of collapsing feet... and is fairly normal with age I hear.
My landlord's a size 11 or something where she used to have petite feet 4 or something when she was young and she's now retired from farming, where she spent 10-14 hours a day on her feet milking and careing for dairy cows.

take care of your feet and keep 'em in shape. again I say stretching and strengthening the calves, massageing the feet and enjoying ice cold and warm hot bathing of the feet at least once a day and if that fails try to get a cortisone shot once or twice. That's worked so far for me... and buying a good boot or shoe, like my German made Lowa's also with a custom injected insert by smartfeet.

I think more of the people on this page need to really consider more exercise of the leg muscles (calves esp.) so to strengthen muscles to take pressure off bottom of foot.