Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Janet and ossatron experts

Posted by alan k on 1/10/00 at 00:00 (014529)

Janet,

I've read your posting history, which seems mixed up with several other Janets, and see some similarities with my condition (except I have mild tingling in both feet and tinnel's sign in one foot-- the one that has LESS pain, it so happens).

I am curious because you just had ossatron but you don't have classic PF indications. With negative on MRI, ultrasound, and nerve conduction, why were you given ossatron? Can ossatron help with nerve entrapment? What is the state of your belief and doctors' belief about your condition at the moment? Has the nerve entrapment theory gone away in your case?

I wonder if I might be an ossatron candidate, and I wonder how I might reach a resolution on a dignosis like it seems you have.

alan k

Re: To Janet and ossatron experts

janet on 1/10/00 at 00:00 (014530)

Hi Alan,

Yes, I am certainly atypical for PF--always have been. My pain started mid-arch bilaterally 5 years ago. It wasn't until about 1.5 years ago that I developed heel pain/burning, also bilaterally. Additionally, I have pain in the balls of my feet and along the outside plantar aspect of my feet. When I'm on my feet alot the pain is generalized on the bottoms of my feet. As you have probably read I've done it all short of surgery and I use a scooter to help me with long hauls at work and play.

Recommended treatment courses and diagnoses for me depends on which doctor I speak with. Ha-ha, I know you've been there. My orthopod in the States (I'm through with podiatrists) thinks I have nerve entrapment of Baxter's nerve and recommends that I see Baxter or someone of his caliber for a surgery consult. I did see another orthopod who did a fellowship with Baxter. He recommended heel decompression surgery although he couldn't positively diagnose me with nerve entrappment. Dr. Galea said that I have fibrosis in both heels, which doesn't always show up on tests. There definitely are some bumps in my heels at the insertion point of the PF in the calcaneous. Its possible that these bumps are compressing Baxter's nerve. Galea said the Ossatron should break that stuff up and hopefully resolve the heel pain. He adamantly opposes surgery and I'm inclined to side with him for now.

I think that the generalized foot pain that I experience is secondary to my heel pain, which totally screws up my gait. I hope that when the fibrosis is broken up it will resolve a lot of the other pain too. I think my mid arch pain may be tendonitis of the flexor halicus tendon or the flexor digitorum where it branches into the toe tendons. If that pain still persists I'm going to ask Galea for recommendations. Maybe he can zap the area with the Ossatron.

If you can get to Toronto I recommend seeing Dr. Galea. He's a straight shooter, he listens, and he's very familiar with overuse injuries that afflict athletic/active people. I don't know where you live but FYI, Galea goes to Houston, TX once a month to do a clinic at the UofT for the track team. Maybe he could see you down there.

Last note: I am not a typical Ossatron candidate (PF measures 2.5 and 3.2). Dr. Galea turned me down for Ossatron last Sept. recommending ART instead. When that didn't work he recommended the big O. I hope and PRAY it works. I'll keep you posted. Hope I answered your questions.

johnw on 1/10/00 at 00:00 (014544)

Nerve entrapment is absolutely contraindicated for the ossatron. Sorry

alan k on 1/10/00 at 00:00 (014554)

Thanks. My pain symptoms match yours exactly, although I have a positive tinnel's sign. I am interested in ossatron if my acupuncture doesn't help.

alan k

janet on 1/11/00 at 00:00 (014605)

Why?

janet on 1/11/00 at 00:00 (014606)

Hi Alan,

I forgot to mention that I think my forefoot pain might be from metatarsalgia. I'm thin and my metatarsal heads are not well padded with fat. If I can ever get rid of the heel pain I'm giong to try metatarsal bars on my shoes or metatarsal pads inside of them.

alan k on 1/11/00 at 00:00 (014613)

I think he means you wouldn't shockwave an entrapped, irritated nerve. Or I guess so.

alan k

janet on 1/10/00 at 00:00 (014530)

Hi Alan,

Yes, I am certainly atypical for PF--always have been. My pain started mid-arch bilaterally 5 years ago. It wasn't until about 1.5 years ago that I developed heel pain/burning, also bilaterally. Additionally, I have pain in the balls of my feet and along the outside plantar aspect of my feet. When I'm on my feet alot the pain is generalized on the bottoms of my feet. As you have probably read I've done it all short of surgery and I use a scooter to help me with long hauls at work and play.

Recommended treatment courses and diagnoses for me depends on which doctor I speak with. Ha-ha, I know you've been there. My orthopod in the States (I'm through with podiatrists) thinks I have nerve entrapment of Baxter's nerve and recommends that I see Baxter or someone of his caliber for a surgery consult. I did see another orthopod who did a fellowship with Baxter. He recommended heel decompression surgery although he couldn't positively diagnose me with nerve entrappment. Dr. Galea said that I have fibrosis in both heels, which doesn't always show up on tests. There definitely are some bumps in my heels at the insertion point of the PF in the calcaneous. Its possible that these bumps are compressing Baxter's nerve. Galea said the Ossatron should break that stuff up and hopefully resolve the heel pain. He adamantly opposes surgery and I'm inclined to side with him for now.

I think that the generalized foot pain that I experience is secondary to my heel pain, which totally screws up my gait. I hope that when the fibrosis is broken up it will resolve a lot of the other pain too. I think my mid arch pain may be tendonitis of the flexor halicus tendon or the flexor digitorum where it branches into the toe tendons. If that pain still persists I'm going to ask Galea for recommendations. Maybe he can zap the area with the Ossatron.

If you can get to Toronto I recommend seeing Dr. Galea. He's a straight shooter, he listens, and he's very familiar with overuse injuries that afflict athletic/active people. I don't know where you live but FYI, Galea goes to Houston, TX once a month to do a clinic at the UofT for the track team. Maybe he could see you down there.

Last note: I am not a typical Ossatron candidate (PF measures 2.5 and 3.2). Dr. Galea turned me down for Ossatron last Sept. recommending ART instead. When that didn't work he recommended the big O. I hope and PRAY it works. I'll keep you posted. Hope I answered your questions.

johnw on 1/10/00 at 00:00 (014544)

Nerve entrapment is absolutely contraindicated for the ossatron. Sorry

alan k on 1/10/00 at 00:00 (014554)

Thanks. My pain symptoms match yours exactly, although I have a positive tinnel's sign. I am interested in ossatron if my acupuncture doesn't help.

alan k

janet on 1/11/00 at 00:00 (014605)

Why?

janet on 1/11/00 at 00:00 (014606)

Hi Alan,

I forgot to mention that I think my forefoot pain might be from metatarsalgia. I'm thin and my metatarsal heads are not well padded with fat. If I can ever get rid of the heel pain I'm giong to try metatarsal bars on my shoes or metatarsal pads inside of them.

alan k on 1/11/00 at 00:00 (014613)

I think he means you wouldn't shockwave an entrapped, irritated nerve. Or I guess so.

alan k