Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Custom orthotics from other than a Podiatrist?

Posted by john a on 1/10/00 at 00:00 (014540)

I was wondering if anyone has had custom orthotics prescribed/made by someone other than a podiatrist, and if so, were they helpful? Due to the poor track record of many podiatrists (including mine), I am hesitant to try another one.

Re: Custom orthotics from other than a Podiatrist?

wendyn on 1/10/00 at 00:00 (014545)

My most recent pair is from a Physio Therapy clinic. They are not perfect but are better than the Pod's. As a point of interest, Podiatrist examined feet and filled out form in less than 5 minutes - then feet were casted. Clinic spent an hour and a half measuring, examining, watching gait pattern, etc then making molds. Does it make a difference...I have no idea!! There are prosthetic/orthotic places out there - give it a try, you have nothing to lose but more money and more time, but good orthotics are probably a must have for many of us!

Nancy S. on 1/10/00 at 00:00 (014546)

John, I know someone with PF (she likes to run) who got custom orthotics made through a sports medicine person. They are full-length orthotics, unlike anything I'd seen before. I think they cost her about $150, and she says they've helped her a lot. I don't know what their measuring procedures were or anthing.
Nancy

Nancy S. on 1/10/00 at 00:00 (014561)

Wendy, yours spent almost five whole minutes before casting? Wow, I'm impressed -- mine spent about thirty seconds!

wendyn on 1/10/00 at 00:00 (014564)

5 minutes may have been an exaggeration...I was being very generous.

wendyn on 1/10/00 at 00:00 (014545)

My most recent pair is from a Physio Therapy clinic. They are not perfect but are better than the Pod's. As a point of interest, Podiatrist examined feet and filled out form in less than 5 minutes - then feet were casted. Clinic spent an hour and a half measuring, examining, watching gait pattern, etc then making molds. Does it make a difference...I have no idea!! There are prosthetic/orthotic places out there - give it a try, you have nothing to lose but more money and more time, but good orthotics are probably a must have for many of us!

Nancy S. on 1/10/00 at 00:00 (014546)

John, I know someone with PF (she likes to run) who got custom orthotics made through a sports medicine person. They are full-length orthotics, unlike anything I'd seen before. I think they cost her about $150, and she says they've helped her a lot. I don't know what their measuring procedures were or anthing.
Nancy

Nancy S. on 1/10/00 at 00:00 (014561)

Wendy, yours spent almost five whole minutes before casting? Wow, I'm impressed -- mine spent about thirty seconds!

wendyn on 1/10/00 at 00:00 (014564)

5 minutes may have been an exaggeration...I was being very generous.