Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cortisone shot, and why did it work for me but not others?

Posted by dang dave on 1/10/00 at 00:00 (014552)

As I mentioned before the only good thing I got out of a doctor's office was a cortisone shot in my heel that turned the corner for my healing. Why did such a mild antiswelling medicine work?? I got almost instant relief even though the nurse practitioner didn't want to give it to me as he thought it wouldn't work. My prescription was the best!!

Also, on the subject of inserts, my Superfeet Kork custom 3 quarter length molded one (not 'smartfeet' as I said earlier) seems to have helped a lot too. It isn't called an orthotic as some doctor would sue but it looks even better than the orthotics I've seen and is about 50 % cheaper. Almost healed and almost running. After two days of two mile runs each I felt just a twinge of pain so backed off and rested and walk a mile and half a day....with ice and stretching I am now pain free. Compared to when just before I got the cortisone shot, just a day before Christmas eve, I am a new person.

I am afraid their is still a bias against relaxation of pain in the medical community. They'd seem to want us to suffer up until we beg for very expensive surgery. That's my impression from reading this board.

Re: Cortisone shot, and why did it work for me but not others?

caryne on 1/10/00 at 00:00 (014558)

I too had cortisone shots and they seemed to help and then whammy about five weeks later and I've been in pain since. Good luck and I hope yours doesn't come back...I think the fact that I started walking after the 2nd cortisone shot contributed to the terrible relapse.

lynn b on 1/10/00 at 00:00 (014570)

I had two shots in my right heel and one in my left heel from two different drs and I knew immediately neither worked. In fact they got worse. Good luck.

caryne on 1/10/00 at 00:00 (014558)

I too had cortisone shots and they seemed to help and then whammy about five weeks later and I've been in pain since. Good luck and I hope yours doesn't come back...I think the fact that I started walking after the 2nd cortisone shot contributed to the terrible relapse.

lynn b on 1/10/00 at 00:00 (014570)

I had two shots in my right heel and one in my left heel from two different drs and I knew immediately neither worked. In fact they got worse. Good luck.