Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

strange pod visit, I got shot, and visit to acupuncture today: important question

Posted by alan k on 1/10/00 at 00:00 (014555)

I had podiatrist and acupuncture today.

The podiatrist reproduced tinnel's sign again, and when I asked him about his previous claim of 95% success rate of surgery for tts, he changed it to %70.
I know that makes him look dumb before I ask a question where I don't want you to think of him that way.

He said exersize, walking, exercycling, even if it produces tingling, is of no significance to tts. We talked for time and he seemed to know a lot, and had three residencies in foot and ankle surgery. etc. I don't understand why a mechanical problem with the entrapment would not be made worse by exersize. He acknowledged that the increased blood flow when cycling would increase the compaction, thus giving me the tingling. So I said then the exersize irritates it, and doesn't that make it worse, and he said it doesn't make a difference. More pain, but doesn't effect the course of the condition. This makes no sense, but I would love to believe it because I want so much to exersize, or return to yoga even. Can anyone make heads or tails of this? In answering, and despite my frequent dissing of doctors, try to figure out why he might be right.
If anyone could ask their doctor about this that would be great.

I got a shot in one foot, the worse one. It was vitamin B-12 with no cortizone. I had never heard of B-12 in the tarsal tunnel, but at this point I say what the heck. The needle went in painless. It seemed a trifle, and I felt silly somehow for resisting the cortizone. In two weeks I go back for another, and I will definitely get the cortizone.

Went to acupuncture as well. The needler had no idea about tarsal tunnel so I explained. The needles were a little prickly, went in on the top of my legs and one near the ankle. On one side (the side that didn't get the shot which had novacaine in it), I felt a distinct irritation going under the ball under the big toe and right smack dab in the big toe (no needles were in the foot). This is the strongest path by which my tinnel's sign goes (but not ordinarily painful), so I think she got the right channel of cosmic lunar ray forces. We'll see.

I really want to go back to exersize, and even yoga again, which was my rigorous daily practice at the time I came down with this. Any ponderings over the sense of his statements is greatly appreciated, but also foot stomping opposition if you are absolutely sure. Of course, don't really stomp your feet.
Unless he is right, then you can stomp your feet.

alan k

Re: strange pod visit, I got shot, and visit to acupuncture today: important question

Nancy S. on 1/10/00 at 00:00 (014557)

Alan, the only thing I can compare in my own experience is that I had carpal tunnel syndrome about 10 years ago. Anything I did that made the pain worse seemed to make the condition deteriorate. Eventually the only thing that helped me was getting plastic splints made especially for my hands and arms. I wore them for three months day and night and removed them only to shower.
In reading the message board archives, I've noticed that some people who have had PT (for PF, tho) found it painful but then it helped; others had to pull back from it.
In general, your doctor's statement does not make sense to me, I'm sorry to say, and I did ponder it. I don't see how the tingling and pain could not be aggravating the condition. You might call him in a few days and really bug him with questions about that statement (he may pull a switcheroo like with the success rate of TTS surgery). I wish you could get another reputable doctor's opinion on that statement. The surgery success rate change is suspicious, I must say. And very interesting . . .
My own opinion is that you should not do what causes you more pain (therefore, I am not stomping my feet!). I will be interested in others' opinions here.
I know the inability to exercise must be frustrating. I just went today and signed up for a swimming membership. Can you not do that? If swimming wouldn't aggravate your condition, it seems it would be better than nothing even if it's not your first choice of activity.
The acupuncture visit sounds like it went well and might hold some promise.
Nancy

Re: strange pod visit, I got shot, and visit to acupuncture today: important question

wendyn on 1/10/00 at 00:00 (014566)

I will try to be brief...am still babying my wrists after their nasty weekend revolt.

No matter where I research, rest is recommended along with a change in activity (reduction). If activity increases your pain and symptoms, this cannot be good for you, and I 100% guarantee that you cannot 'push through' this pain. I have tried, and failed miserably. The only thing that really helps is lots of rest. I have spent the better part of 3 days on the couch trying to get my pain under control..it has not been this bad since August.

You may want to avoid trying the cortisone right at this time, otherwise you may never know if the acupuncture works. That's the danger of trying too many things at once. Either that or maybe stop the acupuncture and try the shot...at least then you'll isolate what's helping/hurting.

As an after note, 75% success rate for surgery is more in keeping with everything I am finding, and even then - it depends on what's causing the TTS.

I still think you should get another opinion, first your doctor insisted it wasn't TTS until you were able to show him it was, then he changes his surgery stats...I bet that if you ask him next week if activity is good - he may change his mind (maybe after he goes home and looks it up?)

alan k on 1/10/00 at 00:00 (014569)

You are both right (and me too), it doesn't make sense. I don't understand how anyone can think it makes sense, or not understand how a layperson would think it makes no sense, and then know how to make a convincing explanation.

I'm still hoping someone might explain it to me, so that I can believe what I want to believe.

alan k

Marti C on 1/10/00 at 00:00 (014577)

alan,
Im with you, I would like to believe that when Im exercising ,the increase in tingling and numbing is doing no harm.My body tells me different, when by the end of the day I feel like a thousand spiders are crawling down my legs and into my feet.Please keep us posted on any additonal info. Iam at a loss what to do about exercise also.What doesnt hurt the the pf aggreviates the tts. Thanks,
Marti

Beth D. on 1/11/00 at 00:00 (014586)

Dave,

My initial podiatrist(diagnosed me with tt and pf) said the same thing to me-step aerobics were ok...the foot wouldn't be injured anymore. I listened to him and did my usual stuff for about 3 weeks. My feet were numb and burned almost all night. Eventually I went for a second opinion to a sports medicine doctor. He told me to stop doing what I was doing when the tingling started. At that time driving at all caused my right foot to start tingling. I finally started resting a lot-but did swimming, biking, and weights to keep the blood flowing. I've definitely gotten better by stopping when my feet start hurting.

I can drive now without problems and can walk a bit in my Birks-but not too fast! My advice baseed on my experience is to not do anything that hurts or tingles!

Beth

alan k on 1/11/00 at 00:00 (014587)

Thanks,

Have you cured the tts? I assume not since you are posting. I really want to cure this, and to exersize. I guess want everything just the way I like it.

What have you done to treat tts and what therapy has helped the most with your tts?

alan k

Nancy S. on 1/10/00 at 00:00 (014557)

Alan, the only thing I can compare in my own experience is that I had carpal tunnel syndrome about 10 years ago. Anything I did that made the pain worse seemed to make the condition deteriorate. Eventually the only thing that helped me was getting plastic splints made especially for my hands and arms. I wore them for three months day and night and removed them only to shower.
In reading the message board archives, I've noticed that some people who have had PT (for PF, tho) found it painful but then it helped; others had to pull back from it.
In general, your doctor's statement does not make sense to me, I'm sorry to say, and I did ponder it. I don't see how the tingling and pain could not be aggravating the condition. You might call him in a few days and really bug him with questions about that statement (he may pull a switcheroo like with the success rate of TTS surgery). I wish you could get another reputable doctor's opinion on that statement. The surgery success rate change is suspicious, I must say. And very interesting . . .
My own opinion is that you should not do what causes you more pain (therefore, I am not stomping my feet!). I will be interested in others' opinions here.
I know the inability to exercise must be frustrating. I just went today and signed up for a swimming membership. Can you not do that? If swimming wouldn't aggravate your condition, it seems it would be better than nothing even if it's not your first choice of activity.
The acupuncture visit sounds like it went well and might hold some promise.
Nancy

wendyn on 1/10/00 at 00:00 (014566)

I will try to be brief...am still babying my wrists after their nasty weekend revolt.

No matter where I research, rest is recommended along with a change in activity (reduction). If activity increases your pain and symptoms, this cannot be good for you, and I 100% guarantee that you cannot 'push through' this pain. I have tried, and failed miserably. The only thing that really helps is lots of rest. I have spent the better part of 3 days on the couch trying to get my pain under control..it has not been this bad since August.

You may want to avoid trying the cortisone right at this time, otherwise you may never know if the acupuncture works. That's the danger of trying too many things at once. Either that or maybe stop the acupuncture and try the shot...at least then you'll isolate what's helping/hurting.

As an after note, 75% success rate for surgery is more in keeping with everything I am finding, and even then - it depends on what's causing the TTS.

I still think you should get another opinion, first your doctor insisted it wasn't TTS until you were able to show him it was, then he changes his surgery stats...I bet that if you ask him next week if activity is good - he may change his mind (maybe after he goes home and looks it up?)

alan k on 1/10/00 at 00:00 (014569)

You are both right (and me too), it doesn't make sense. I don't understand how anyone can think it makes sense, or not understand how a layperson would think it makes no sense, and then know how to make a convincing explanation.

I'm still hoping someone might explain it to me, so that I can believe what I want to believe.

alan k

Marti C on 1/10/00 at 00:00 (014577)

alan,
Im with you, I would like to believe that when Im exercising ,the increase in tingling and numbing is doing no harm.My body tells me different, when by the end of the day I feel like a thousand spiders are crawling down my legs and into my feet.Please keep us posted on any additonal info. Iam at a loss what to do about exercise also.What doesnt hurt the the pf aggreviates the tts. Thanks,
Marti

Beth D. on 1/11/00 at 00:00 (014586)

Dave,

My initial podiatrist(diagnosed me with tt and pf) said the same thing to me-step aerobics were ok...the foot wouldn't be injured anymore. I listened to him and did my usual stuff for about 3 weeks. My feet were numb and burned almost all night. Eventually I went for a second opinion to a sports medicine doctor. He told me to stop doing what I was doing when the tingling started. At that time driving at all caused my right foot to start tingling. I finally started resting a lot-but did swimming, biking, and weights to keep the blood flowing. I've definitely gotten better by stopping when my feet start hurting.

I can drive now without problems and can walk a bit in my Birks-but not too fast! My advice baseed on my experience is to not do anything that hurts or tingles!

Beth

alan k on 1/11/00 at 00:00 (014587)

Thanks,

Have you cured the tts? I assume not since you are posting. I really want to cure this, and to exersize. I guess want everything just the way I like it.

What have you done to treat tts and what therapy has helped the most with your tts?

alan k