Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

question re: tarsal tunnel syndrome

Posted by rekha.s on 1/11/00 at 00:00 (014580)

hi guys. I have a ques re tts. I have been in a cast for 3 1/2 weeks now and have been experiencing tingling in the uncasted foot (due to the pressure I have been placing on it). I also have some zinging feeling on top of the foot near large toe &one next to it. I asked the pod to check it out, and she tapped the hammer thing (to check for reflex), she tapped it pretty hard in ankle area. No sign of shooting pain or electric shock. She said if I had TTS, then I would have that sensation.

Is tingling just due to pressure placed on the other foot? or is it beginning signs of TTS? I am getting worried, so I have been crawling around the house, only now my knees are sore. Can't win with this thing!!!! Any ideas? should I get a 2nd opinion?

Re: question re: tarsal tunnel syndrome

alan k on 1/11/00 at 00:00 (014588)

This is a complicated question to answer, and no doubt wendyn will weigh in soon.

The lack of a tinnel's response, or even the lack of tingling or numbness, may not rule out tts completely. It does mean at least that either you do not have it or nerve damage is miniscule. You should, if you can afford it, try to find someone who is interested in this tingling and concerned, since early stage nerve entrapment means no permanent nerve damage if treated successfully.

It is important in tapping to get all around the ankle. Tapping in one spot is not good enough (my first pod simply pressed his finger on one spot, very lightly, and then that was the extent of his curiosity and concern). You can do a good tap yourself with two fingers tight together, and just rove down the tunnel and under the ankle. My zing-spot is between ankle and heel corner, or a tad forward of that.

The good news I can say to you is this: The top of the foot, if I understand your description of tingling area correctly, is not served in any way by the tibial nerve which passes through the tarsal tunnel region. TTS by itself would not cause tingling in the area you describe, though if it was the bottom of the foot going up to big toe then that would be a strong indicator.

Vitamin B-6 is the nerve vitamin, and sometimes nerve pain is caused by B-12 deficiency. Anyone with nerve concerns should take these as supplements, although over dosages can cause nerve problems as well.

I recommend self message for your tingling foot. Grasp your calf as though wringing out laundry, and do anything else that feels good. Gently kneed the outside flank of the shin, which is where the top of foot nerve passes I think (going on memory here). Do ankle rolls to loosen up the ankles.

Sounds like the correlation you have observed may mean something, so get someone to take an interest in it. The fact that I have never heard of your symptoms before may be a sign that they are not part of a chronic syndrome like tts, but that is a totally uninformed wild guess.

I have been crawling in the mornings before warming up the feet, something I recommend, but I have recently decided to stop it because I am sick of it.

I not going to kneel before my foot pain anymore.

alan k

wendyn on 1/11/00 at 00:00 (014593)

Wow Alan, you have become quite the TTS expert in a short period of time...I know...everyone's aspiration to become on expert on a rare foot disorder....

I must agree with everything you said, I did not have anyone produce a positive sign until 6 months after symptoms started - only after they got pretty bad. Now I can press on sports on my inner calf - several inches above the inner ankle, and I can produce numbness. Not really shocks - but it does something.

I was laying on the couch last night and had my legs draped across my husbands lap - he had his arm lightly resting on my lower leg and I had to ask him to move it because my foot was going numb.

alan k on 1/11/00 at 00:00 (014594)

What were you doing that made your feet worse the last three days?

Was it more activity? Still hankering for a way out.

alan k

john h on 1/11/00 at 00:00 (014602)

i contine to think that TTS is rare and is probably not the problem for many of us on the board. I have had the TTS surgery on one foot and will not have it on the other foot as i do not think that is the problem. TTS is most difficult to pinpoint as the pain generator. Electrical studies can be be misleading.

wendyn on 1/11/00 at 00:00 (014603)

My pain started to get worse just after New Years. The only thing I can think of is an extra vigorous work out in the pool last Monday (sad to think I can hurt myself in the pool). That and I was wearing my newer Birks more than before (I do not find this footbed as soft as the other one). I have really no idea what set things off...but the pain was bad in my wrists too, and I had not been typing more than normal.

alan k on 1/11/00 at 00:00 (014588)

This is a complicated question to answer, and no doubt wendyn will weigh in soon.

The lack of a tinnel's response, or even the lack of tingling or numbness, may not rule out tts completely. It does mean at least that either you do not have it or nerve damage is miniscule. You should, if you can afford it, try to find someone who is interested in this tingling and concerned, since early stage nerve entrapment means no permanent nerve damage if treated successfully.

It is important in tapping to get all around the ankle. Tapping in one spot is not good enough (my first pod simply pressed his finger on one spot, very lightly, and then that was the extent of his curiosity and concern). You can do a good tap yourself with two fingers tight together, and just rove down the tunnel and under the ankle. My zing-spot is between ankle and heel corner, or a tad forward of that.

The good news I can say to you is this: The top of the foot, if I understand your description of tingling area correctly, is not served in any way by the tibial nerve which passes through the tarsal tunnel region. TTS by itself would not cause tingling in the area you describe, though if it was the bottom of the foot going up to big toe then that would be a strong indicator.

Vitamin B-6 is the nerve vitamin, and sometimes nerve pain is caused by B-12 deficiency. Anyone with nerve concerns should take these as supplements, although over dosages can cause nerve problems as well.

I recommend self message for your tingling foot. Grasp your calf as though wringing out laundry, and do anything else that feels good. Gently kneed the outside flank of the shin, which is where the top of foot nerve passes I think (going on memory here). Do ankle rolls to loosen up the ankles.

Sounds like the correlation you have observed may mean something, so get someone to take an interest in it. The fact that I have never heard of your symptoms before may be a sign that they are not part of a chronic syndrome like tts, but that is a totally uninformed wild guess.

I have been crawling in the mornings before warming up the feet, something I recommend, but I have recently decided to stop it because I am sick of it.

I not going to kneel before my foot pain anymore.

alan k

wendyn on 1/11/00 at 00:00 (014593)

Wow Alan, you have become quite the TTS expert in a short period of time...I know...everyone's aspiration to become on expert on a rare foot disorder....

I must agree with everything you said, I did not have anyone produce a positive sign until 6 months after symptoms started - only after they got pretty bad. Now I can press on sports on my inner calf - several inches above the inner ankle, and I can produce numbness. Not really shocks - but it does something.

I was laying on the couch last night and had my legs draped across my husbands lap - he had his arm lightly resting on my lower leg and I had to ask him to move it because my foot was going numb.

alan k on 1/11/00 at 00:00 (014594)

What were you doing that made your feet worse the last three days?

Was it more activity? Still hankering for a way out.

alan k

john h on 1/11/00 at 00:00 (014602)

i contine to think that TTS is rare and is probably not the problem for many of us on the board. I have had the TTS surgery on one foot and will not have it on the other foot as i do not think that is the problem. TTS is most difficult to pinpoint as the pain generator. Electrical studies can be be misleading.

wendyn on 1/11/00 at 00:00 (014603)

My pain started to get worse just after New Years. The only thing I can think of is an extra vigorous work out in the pool last Monday (sad to think I can hurt myself in the pool). That and I was wearing my newer Birks more than before (I do not find this footbed as soft as the other one). I have really no idea what set things off...but the pain was bad in my wrists too, and I had not been typing more than normal.