Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

swimming is good exercise for plantar fasciitis

Posted by dang dave on 1/11/00 at 00:00 (014584)

Nancy,

I wish I had swimming facilities nearby. The Runner's World web site also recommends swimming and bicycling as alternative exercises for foot ailments to offset atrophy for those needing to rest their feet for healing... that's all of us pf sufferers.

I felt a few twinges of pain after taking a mile and half walk with my dog because I was wearing boots a little too stiff than my usualls and the non custom Superfeet inserts. It's amazing the difference between my custom inserts and just off the shelf inserts. And for me too stiff of soles transmitts shock to my heals which is why I disagree with the real stiff hiking boot solution others have suggested. A flexible trail running shoe seems the best for me. But maybe the totally stiff Cloggs are the best for many.

In swimming you will still be flexing your plantar fascia but without the shock of foot hitting concrete or hard earth. Keep in shape.

It sounds like you have a really serious case. However I was limping severely before my cortisone shot. Now I am of normal stride. I guess I am the lucky one. But I think the cortisone's effect is worn off and credit is now due to my stretching in the morning, not working too hard (3 days a week, 7 hours on my feet per work day), and getting regular exercise on my outdoor loop of about 2 miles of cross country type hiking and jogging with alternating rest days.

And oh yes, another solution: not spending too much time on the computer and getting a good night's sleep!!! ;-)

Re: swimming is good exercise for plantar fasciitis

Nancy S. on 1/11/00 at 00:00 (014595)

Dave -- Yeah, spending too much time online and not getting enough sleep is becoming a problem! I'm definitely not moving around enough, from resting my foot. I'm hoping the swimming will be good in myriad ways, including getting my blood going and making me want to sleep halfway normally. You sound like you're doing really well, and I think that's great -- whatever it takes! My case really isn't as bad as it was -- I have it in only one foot, and since finding this site my pain has drastically reduced, which I attribute to Birkenstocks, stretching, rest, and possibly the yeast-killing diet I've been on for two weeks. Thanks for the swimming encouragement. I need it, because inertia has set in and going anywhere to do anything is seeming like a real ordeal.
--Nancy

Re: swimming is good exercise for plantar fasciitis

Nancy S. on 1/11/00 at 00:00 (014595)

Dave -- Yeah, spending too much time online and not getting enough sleep is becoming a problem! I'm definitely not moving around enough, from resting my foot. I'm hoping the swimming will be good in myriad ways, including getting my blood going and making me want to sleep halfway normally. You sound like you're doing really well, and I think that's great -- whatever it takes! My case really isn't as bad as it was -- I have it in only one foot, and since finding this site my pain has drastically reduced, which I attribute to Birkenstocks, stretching, rest, and possibly the yeast-killing diet I've been on for two weeks. Thanks for the swimming encouragement. I need it, because inertia has set in and going anywhere to do anything is seeming like a real ordeal.
--Nancy