Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Postscript to Alan

Posted by Nancy S. on 1/12/00 at 00:00 (014629)

Alan, please note that there is a short section on tts toward the end of the article. Probably nothing new for you there, but I did want to point out that Dr. Barrett discourages activites that aggravate the symptoms. He gives only 'ambulation' as an example, but I suspect his recommendation would extend to exercises that aggravate. How are you doing? Not getting too discouraged, I hope.
-- Nancy

Re: Postscript to Alan

alan k on 1/12/00 at 00:00 (014631)

Thanks Nancy. I was reading while you posted. I am always discouraged, aren't you? Discouragement is something I have to live with because it is a natural response to failing when you are trying.
I'd rather be discouraged than passive about this.

I have acupuncture today again, hope that works.

Work avoidance is my biggest problem though...

alan k

Re: Postscript to Alan -- I only meant . . .

Nancy S. on 1/12/00 at 00:00 (014632)

. . . that I hoped you weren't getting TOO discouraged, which I suppose could lead to passivity. You certainly show no signs of passivity in dealing with this thing, so perhaps it was a stupid thing for me to say.
Discouragement and encouragement come and go for me. Lately I have felt more encouraged than not, but daily life is still not easy by any means. Rather than discouragement I would term what I feel most these days is grief over being cut off from the work I dearly love, and fearing that it will be permanent. But I'm not assuming that. It's only a fear. So far.
-- Nancy

alan k on 1/12/00 at 00:00 (014634)

I'm sorry if it sounded strange-- I wasn't offended in the least, I was just saying that I am often discouraged and asking if you were too, since I know you are pretty active in trying things too.

I am supposed to be a writer but sometimes I can't seem to say things here in the right way. But don't take this the wrong way!

It's probably just a result of on-line communication.

cheers, alan k

Re: Postscript to Alan

alan k on 1/12/00 at 00:00 (014631)

Thanks Nancy. I was reading while you posted. I am always discouraged, aren't you? Discouragement is something I have to live with because it is a natural response to failing when you are trying.
I'd rather be discouraged than passive about this.

I have acupuncture today again, hope that works.

Work avoidance is my biggest problem though...

alan k

Nancy S. on 1/12/00 at 00:00 (014632)

. . . that I hoped you weren't getting TOO discouraged, which I suppose could lead to passivity. You certainly show no signs of passivity in dealing with this thing, so perhaps it was a stupid thing for me to say.
Discouragement and encouragement come and go for me. Lately I have felt more encouraged than not, but daily life is still not easy by any means. Rather than discouragement I would term what I feel most these days is grief over being cut off from the work I dearly love, and fearing that it will be permanent. But I'm not assuming that. It's only a fear. So far.
-- Nancy

alan k on 1/12/00 at 00:00 (014634)

I'm sorry if it sounded strange-- I wasn't offended in the least, I was just saying that I am often discouraged and asking if you were too, since I know you are pretty active in trying things too.

I am supposed to be a writer but sometimes I can't seem to say things here in the right way. But don't take this the wrong way!

It's probably just a result of on-line communication.

cheers, alan k