Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

the wedge? the splint?

Posted by dang dave on 1/12/00 at 00:00 (014664)

Nancy, I don't know which splint you have. Probably the one linked on this (Scott's) website somewhere. Someone in Mass. kindly offered to loan me theirs as it was effective in treating her husband's PF. But I know someone who is a buyer at a skiing shop who has had PF for years and is fairly skinny and fit and yet hasn't had any luck with the splint. She works on her feet much of the day being in retail. She's very dissatisfied with her doctor.

I should probably take up that kind offer of a loan of the splint or just save to buy the splint... but I am only hearing a success rate of less than 50 % just in my little world of contacts. But still after seeing marginal improvement due to my little wrapping technique I'd guess that splint would probably work if the angle is kept 90 degress or less. You say you use the wedge (to increase the upward tilt of feet.. to less than 90 degrees with leg...)?? Give it a try if you haven't. I imagine the wedge is just shoved in from the front under the toes???? (I tend to think that splint I saw on the web needs more strapps to hold the feet and ankle in place... maybe you could use an ace bandage to suppliment it??)

Re: the wedge? the splint?

Nancy S. on 1/13/00 at 00:00 (014673)

Dave, I think you should definitely try the loaned splint. You sound like a good candidate for it.
My splint is by Johnson & Johnson -- a bright blue sort of boot thing that wraps around my leg and foot, is open in the front, and attaches with three wide blue velcro straps. I got it from my pod. The wedge slips in between my foot and the splint's 'footbed.' It is shaped so that it raises the toe end of my foot, supposedly increasing the stretch. The stretch that I personally can't feel.
--Nancy

Re: the wedge? the splint?

Nancy S. on 1/13/00 at 00:00 (014673)

Dave, I think you should definitely try the loaned splint. You sound like a good candidate for it.
My splint is by Johnson & Johnson -- a bright blue sort of boot thing that wraps around my leg and foot, is open in the front, and attaches with three wide blue velcro straps. I got it from my pod. The wedge slips in between my foot and the splint's 'footbed.' It is shaped so that it raises the toe end of my foot, supposedly increasing the stretch. The stretch that I personally can't feel.
--Nancy