Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Information is self-help!

Posted by Becky R. on 1/13/00 at 00:00 (014667)

I just had to comment - the article I just read was great (from a previous post) and all the other articles I've read are too. The information on this website is wonderful and much more informative than what you will EVER get at any physicians office. I just went last week and it seems like I'm giving him all the answers and information instead of the reverse. I am a nurse and I have always known how important education is to the patient BUT I ALSO tried to provide that for my own patients. I have been to 3 different doctors and none of them offered me the help this website has. IT is a shame to think of all the people who will never hear about stetching, diets, Birkenstocks, etc. I'm sure this is true of any ailment, not just plantar fasciitis. It opens your eyes to the real condition of health care. (Not that I didn't already know).

Re: Information is self-help!

Elise M. on 1/13/00 at 00:00 (014670)

Dear Becky,
I am a nurse also and I share your frustrations with the health care in this country. My PCP is tending to my feet. While she makes recommendations for treatments, I'm one step ahead of her having already tried it or been able to give feedback about others who have.
I've also sung her the praises of this website. On more than one occasion I've educated her in some aspects of this PF. Thank God I have a great relationship with this Doc and she doesn't mind learning new things. One of my favorite areas in my career was pre-op teaching. I knew from experience how well the educated patient did as opposed to the uneducated patient when it came to self care. The public deserves to have the care they used to get years ago when a backrub wasn't an imposition and nurses had time to give them. In order to do that we have to give them back the work force that's out there just waiting to be employed again, the L.P.N.s. Everyone in nursing from the Nurse Manager to the CNA has a role in providing good care for the patient. As an LPN, I was the RN's eyes and ears on the floor. I was the 'blue collar' nurse, the worker. That is a position I loved and still love to this day. We are remanded to caring for the nursing home residents when we have so much more to offer to a much more diverse population. I worked 8 years in the ICU and we were equals. I now have my EMT and have passed the Firefighters exam in hopes of changing careers. With this PF, who knows. Sorry to go off on such a tangent. It just galls me the state of affairs that medicine/nursing has deteriorated into. Be well. El.

Re: Information is self-help!

Elise M. on 1/13/00 at 00:00 (014670)

Dear Becky,
I am a nurse also and I share your frustrations with the health care in this country. My PCP is tending to my feet. While she makes recommendations for treatments, I'm one step ahead of her having already tried it or been able to give feedback about others who have.
I've also sung her the praises of this website. On more than one occasion I've educated her in some aspects of this PF. Thank God I have a great relationship with this Doc and she doesn't mind learning new things. One of my favorite areas in my career was pre-op teaching. I knew from experience how well the educated patient did as opposed to the uneducated patient when it came to self care. The public deserves to have the care they used to get years ago when a backrub wasn't an imposition and nurses had time to give them. In order to do that we have to give them back the work force that's out there just waiting to be employed again, the L.P.N.s. Everyone in nursing from the Nurse Manager to the CNA has a role in providing good care for the patient. As an LPN, I was the RN's eyes and ears on the floor. I was the 'blue collar' nurse, the worker. That is a position I loved and still love to this day. We are remanded to caring for the nursing home residents when we have so much more to offer to a much more diverse population. I worked 8 years in the ICU and we were equals. I now have my EMT and have passed the Firefighters exam in hopes of changing careers. With this PF, who knows. Sorry to go off on such a tangent. It just galls me the state of affairs that medicine/nursing has deteriorated into. Be well. El.