Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ongoing discussion on TTS

Posted by wendyn on 1/13/00 at 00:00 (014699)

I have TTS in both feet, worse in my right.

Whether or not it should be worse in one would probably be determined by what's causing it - if it's caused by the way you walk then it's not surprising that it's in both feet.

Alan, has your doctor ran tests to rule out systemic problems like arthritis, diabetes, thyroid, lupus etc? Those tests should always be done in a case like this...

Saw my PT today. He will start to work on my lower back/hips again. In answer to your yoga question Alan and whether or not there could be a spinal problem - no one knows for sure. It has not been ruled out, but everyone seems to think that my lower back pain is from the way I walk.

Asked PT about physio for my foot, he winced and told me he is afraid to touch my foot (we never know what it may respond badly to). He agreed to start trying some stretching and strength work for my legs/ankles/feet with the understanding that we will take things VERY slowly.

He explained my sad tale of woe to another PT there that does acupuncture (told him I am growing tired of telling the same story over and over). She said she would be very interested in trying to help me - I see her for an assessment in just about 2 weeks.

They were both concerned that my ability to stretch the nerve is so limited. The PT wanted me to do 'neural glides' in the past. You lay on your back, lift one leg up to 90 degrees and drop the lower half of your leg, supporting the leg with your hands just below the knee. You turn your foot outward slightly and then raise it just to the point of tension. The idea is to then do gentle lifts (not reaching that point of tension again).

In my case, just putting my foot in that position now causes tension on the nerve - so I can't move it at all without pain (and fear). This limitation in the nerve is evidently why I have so much pain from driving...the foot is in essentially the same position.

They will try to work on this...Alan have you been to a good PT?

Re: ongoing discussion on TTS

alan k on 1/13/00 at 00:00 (014701)

I have been to a good PT for pf, perhaps I should go back there. They weren't very hands on, though.

Right now I guess I am getting PT from the rehabilitation doctor who is giving acupuncture. He was alright about talking to me but he was another 'I know everything leave it to me' guy. So far no one who I can talk to about things like complications from shots, from surgery, exersize, etc. Everything is cut and dry and no one finds my condition the slightest bit odd, even when they say 'yes that's strange' (like the fact that I had no tinnels sign when I was in greatest pain, and now have a strong one with less pain). I don't understand how helath professionals could have such a low curiosity about things. If I was a day in day out body mechanic, I would love a challenge like me (or any of us).

I had rheumatoid, lyme, and thyroid tests. I don't know about lupus-- I don't think so.

well, I'm off to get an ankle brace. I've got something I can bring back to a store to get the cash for the next thing.

alan k

Re: ongoing discussion on TTSTo Alan

Laurie R on 1/13/00 at 00:00 (014704)

HI Alan I was just thinking ,are you off work because of pf and TTS?I am and have been off work now for about 3 and half months.I know there is no way I could work now .See I have pain if I am walking or just sitting doing nothing my inside ankel has really started to get worst in the last week or so.I just hope someone can tell me for sure if I have TTS so I can deal with it.Laurie R

Janet on 1/13/00 at 00:00 (014706)

Hi Laurie,

If you're going stir-crazy about being out of work, I might suggest a scooter. I got one--my insurance paid for it--and it allows me to work and have a bit more freedom. I must admit, however, that my pride took, and continues to take, quite a beating from riding that thing. Oh humility....

Good luck with your case.

john h on 1/13/00 at 00:00 (014707)

the doctor who performed the emg for tts told me to be careful when having my feet massaged. vigorous massage around the ankle area can aggevate or damage a nerve if you do have tts (in some cases).

Laurie R on 1/14/00 at 00:00 (014741)

Hi Janet,I must tell you I did start laughing when I read this,but I soon stopped when my pain kicked in.It does sound good.I do remenber when I first got my walking cast it is so big and people used to look at me crazy and they would ask what happen to your foot.I don't even tell people I have pf because they don't know what it is.I do have nerve entrapment so thats what I say.Anyways thanks again.Laurie R

alan k on 1/13/00 at 00:00 (014701)

I have been to a good PT for pf, perhaps I should go back there. They weren't very hands on, though.

Right now I guess I am getting PT from the rehabilitation doctor who is giving acupuncture. He was alright about talking to me but he was another 'I know everything leave it to me' guy. So far no one who I can talk to about things like complications from shots, from surgery, exersize, etc. Everything is cut and dry and no one finds my condition the slightest bit odd, even when they say 'yes that's strange' (like the fact that I had no tinnels sign when I was in greatest pain, and now have a strong one with less pain). I don't understand how helath professionals could have such a low curiosity about things. If I was a day in day out body mechanic, I would love a challenge like me (or any of us).

I had rheumatoid, lyme, and thyroid tests. I don't know about lupus-- I don't think so.

well, I'm off to get an ankle brace. I've got something I can bring back to a store to get the cash for the next thing.

alan k

Laurie R on 1/13/00 at 00:00 (014704)

HI Alan I was just thinking ,are you off work because of pf and TTS?I am and have been off work now for about 3 and half months.I know there is no way I could work now .See I have pain if I am walking or just sitting doing nothing my inside ankel has really started to get worst in the last week or so.I just hope someone can tell me for sure if I have TTS so I can deal with it.Laurie R

Janet on 1/13/00 at 00:00 (014706)

Hi Laurie,

If you're going stir-crazy about being out of work, I might suggest a scooter. I got one--my insurance paid for it--and it allows me to work and have a bit more freedom. I must admit, however, that my pride took, and continues to take, quite a beating from riding that thing. Oh humility....

Good luck with your case.

john h on 1/13/00 at 00:00 (014707)

the doctor who performed the emg for tts told me to be careful when having my feet massaged. vigorous massage around the ankle area can aggevate or damage a nerve if you do have tts (in some cases).

Laurie R on 1/14/00 at 00:00 (014741)

Hi Janet,I must tell you I did start laughing when I read this,but I soon stopped when my pain kicked in.It does sound good.I do remenber when I first got my walking cast it is so big and people used to look at me crazy and they would ask what happen to your foot.I don't even tell people I have pf because they don't know what it is.I do have nerve entrapment so thats what I say.Anyways thanks again.Laurie R