Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: Consider other treatment options

Posted by Robin B. on 1/14/00 at 00:00 (014744)

Rosie, if you search the message board and archived messages, you will not find too many people who support either cortisone injections or continued use of steroids as safe or lasting treatment. A few people on the board have been harmed by cortisone injections, and they are definitely not recommended over the long haul as a regular treatment option.

Anti-imflammatories, either steroid or non, will ease your pain while you take them. Taking anti-inflammatories for a pain in your elbow or shoulder may be more helpful, since you don't always have to use that part of your body and it gets to rest and recover while the anti-inflammatories go to work. But for the vast majority of us, we have to use our feet at least sometime, and frequently often, during the day. Most often when you stop taking the meds, the pain will return.

One of the difficulties for doctors is that most of them are used to writing prescriptions as a first course of treatment. Of course, some people recover fairly rapidly from PF and meds MAY help. But others do not recover so quickly, or they need additional treatments beyond meds to effect a recovery. If your podiatrist had orthotics made for you, at least that sounds like a step in the right direction. Unfortunately for everyone here, PF is not a condition that is often remedied by just one dose of meds.

Rosie A on 1/14/00 at 00:00 (014752)

Thanks for your comments, Robin. Could you possibly tell me what other options there are? I personally would not like to get another set of shots. As it was, I missed working yesterday because my feet hurt so much from the shots. I've read about the night splits and having your feet put in some sort of cast but isn't that sort of a last ditch effort. I sure would appreciate some more insight. Thanks a bunch!

Re: Consider other treatment optionsTo Rosie

Laurie R on 1/14/00 at 00:00 (014756)

Hi Rosie,Have you tried Physical therapy yet? It has helped me in the past.You must find a therapist that knows about PF .I go to a sports medicine therapist now.I have pf and a entrapped nerve it has really helped with the pf but not the entrapped nerve .I hope this can help you a little bit good luck.Laurie R

Rosie A on 1/14/00 at 00:00 (014752)

Thanks for your comments, Robin. Could you possibly tell me what other options there are? I personally would not like to get another set of shots. As it was, I missed working yesterday because my feet hurt so much from the shots. I've read about the night splits and having your feet put in some sort of cast but isn't that sort of a last ditch effort. I sure would appreciate some more insight. Thanks a bunch!

Re: Consider other treatment optionsTo Rosie

Laurie R on 1/14/00 at 00:00 (014756)

Hi Rosie,Have you tried Physical therapy yet? It has helped me in the past.You must find a therapist that knows about PF .I go to a sports medicine therapist now.I have pf and a entrapped nerve it has really helped with the pf but not the entrapped nerve .I hope this can help you a little bit good luck.Laurie R