Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

An informal poll: PEOPLE WHO HAVE HAD FOOT SURGERY, PLEASE READ

Posted by Nancy S. on 1/14/00 at 00:00 (014746)

Would you kindly take part in a two-question poll. I, and I'm sure others, would be very interested to know:

1. Was your surgery performed by a podiatrist or an
orthopedic surgeon?

2. How would you rate the success of your surgery, on a
scale of 1 to 10 -- 10 being the most successful?

Re: An informal poll: PEOPLE WHO HAVE HAD FOOT SURGERY, PLEASE READ

Colleen G on 1/14/00 at 00:00 (014750)

Nancy,
I had surgery on Nov. 17. The surgery was performed by a podiatrist.
As of today 8 weeks later, I would rate the success an 8 because it takes approximately six months to fully recover from the surgery. Last week I had a lot of pain, but this week the pain is less and less every day. I even when shopping yesterday and was on my feet for about 4 hours. I had very little discomfort last night. The mornings I am stiff, and have some pain, don't think it's related to PF, more surgical pain.

Colleen

I'll keep you posted.

john h on 1/14/00 at 00:00 (014759)

i had pf,tts surgery on 23 august 1999. at this point i would rate the surgery as a 6. i am told it could take up to a year to know the final results so the rating could go up. i am better than before surgery. performed by an orthopedic foot and ankle surgeon.

annm on 1/14/00 at 00:00 (014762)

My surgery was performed on my left heel on 3/31/99 by a foot and ankle orthopedic surgeon. I would rate the surgery an 8 compared to what I was before surgery. I really have very little heel pain. Mostly just stiffness and some aching in my entire foot area after a long time on my feet. I am sure that I would do it again. I would be better about the stretching and icing.

Nancy M on 1/14/00 at 00:00 (014766)

1. EPF 1/3 release left foot September 1998 - Podiatrist DPM
EPF 1/3 release right foot March 1999 - Podiatrist DPM

2. I would rate my surgeries a 10. I'm 100% pain free in both heels.

Nancy M in AZ

Lynda S. on 1/14/00 at 00:00 (014768)

Endoscopic plantar fasciotomy of right heel 3/97 by podiatrist (0 out of 10) Didn't do a thing.
Open heel fasciotomy of right heel 1/98 by 2 podiatrists (0 out of 10) Didn't do anything. Birks did much more.

Stuart B on 1/15/00 at 00:00 (014777)

Pf in both feet. Fasciaectamy on right in August. Orthopedic surgeon did a very neat job, scar about 2+1/2 inches long.

7 out of 10. Walked into work this morning. First time in a year! Loss of feeling in heel is weird and get sharp twinges occasionally. But it is better.

Lori S on 1/15/00 at 00:00 (014797)

May 1999 2/3 release of PF ligament and bone spur removal
Dr. Richard Buchbinder, DPM, Phoenix, AZ
Rating: 9 1/2 (was told it could take between 6 months to a year to heal completely)
Before I had the surgery, I wanted to die and didn't care if he cut my feet off. Today I work as a teacher all day long, walk my dogs at least a mile each day, and have very little soreness, if any.

Ken on 1/15/00 at 00:00 (014806)

Had partial release on right foot by podiatrist.I would rate it about a 6.Better than before but not as good as I wanted

Trish on 1/16/00 at 00:00 (014816)

1. orthopedic surgeon
2. unsuccessful, '1', plus I got some nerve damage as a result!

Jane B. on 1/16/00 at 00:00 (014818)

1. Open surgery 1996. DPM

2. Relieved a lot of sharp heel pain, however; now suffer from pain all over foot. Rate success a 1 on 0-10 scale. Looking back I think I should have waited longer before surgery but hard to say now if I could have taken it any longer. Suffered for 2 years before I gave in.
Still suffering and still unable to walk any distance ie: mall etc.
Still unable to work at my profession.

Re: An informal poll: OOOOOO

DaNita on 1/17/00 at 00:00 (014838)

I have had 2 pf surgeries and one TTS surgery on my left foot and 1 pf on my right and TTS on my right.
On a scale of 1-10
OOOOOOO My feet are so screwed up its unbeliveable. I have been fighting this the last 4 yrs. I also have fibromyalgia. I no longer can work or do any of the fun things I use to enjoy, if it means standing/walking longer than 20. minutes forget it! I would never reccommend surgery to any one. Just my opinion. Doctors don't agree on anything. Each one I have been to tell me something different than the last one. Who do you believe?

Rick R on 1/17/00 at 00:00 (014846)

Nancy,

Great question. I'm answering in the context of my expectations. I think to expect to be the same as you were before that first hint of a problem is a bit too optimistic. Given that perspective I rate the work done on me to be a 10 by a very skilled Orthopedic surgeon. I still take many precautions which may be overkill. Since I still have a nasty spur on the non-repaired side it's easy to stay a bit cautious. With taping etc. I can run again so that's a 10 by me.

Colleen G on 1/14/00 at 00:00 (014750)

Nancy,
I had surgery on Nov. 17. The surgery was performed by a podiatrist.
As of today 8 weeks later, I would rate the success an 8 because it takes approximately six months to fully recover from the surgery. Last week I had a lot of pain, but this week the pain is less and less every day. I even when shopping yesterday and was on my feet for about 4 hours. I had very little discomfort last night. The mornings I am stiff, and have some pain, don't think it's related to PF, more surgical pain.

Colleen

I'll keep you posted.

john h on 1/14/00 at 00:00 (014759)

i had pf,tts surgery on 23 august 1999. at this point i would rate the surgery as a 6. i am told it could take up to a year to know the final results so the rating could go up. i am better than before surgery. performed by an orthopedic foot and ankle surgeon.

annm on 1/14/00 at 00:00 (014762)

My surgery was performed on my left heel on 3/31/99 by a foot and ankle orthopedic surgeon. I would rate the surgery an 8 compared to what I was before surgery. I really have very little heel pain. Mostly just stiffness and some aching in my entire foot area after a long time on my feet. I am sure that I would do it again. I would be better about the stretching and icing.

Nancy M on 1/14/00 at 00:00 (014766)

1. EPF 1/3 release left foot September 1998 - Podiatrist DPM
EPF 1/3 release right foot March 1999 - Podiatrist DPM

2. I would rate my surgeries a 10. I'm 100% pain free in both heels.

Nancy M in AZ

Lynda S. on 1/14/00 at 00:00 (014768)

Endoscopic plantar fasciotomy of right heel 3/97 by podiatrist (0 out of 10) Didn't do a thing.
Open heel fasciotomy of right heel 1/98 by 2 podiatrists (0 out of 10) Didn't do anything. Birks did much more.

Stuart B on 1/15/00 at 00:00 (014777)

Pf in both feet. Fasciaectamy on right in August. Orthopedic surgeon did a very neat job, scar about 2+1/2 inches long.

7 out of 10. Walked into work this morning. First time in a year! Loss of feeling in heel is weird and get sharp twinges occasionally. But it is better.

Lori S on 1/15/00 at 00:00 (014797)

May 1999 2/3 release of PF ligament and bone spur removal
Dr. Richard Buchbinder, DPM, Phoenix, AZ
Rating: 9 1/2 (was told it could take between 6 months to a year to heal completely)
Before I had the surgery, I wanted to die and didn't care if he cut my feet off. Today I work as a teacher all day long, walk my dogs at least a mile each day, and have very little soreness, if any.

Ken on 1/15/00 at 00:00 (014806)

Had partial release on right foot by podiatrist.I would rate it about a 6.Better than before but not as good as I wanted

Trish on 1/16/00 at 00:00 (014816)

1. orthopedic surgeon
2. unsuccessful, '1', plus I got some nerve damage as a result!

Jane B. on 1/16/00 at 00:00 (014818)

1. Open surgery 1996. DPM

2. Relieved a lot of sharp heel pain, however; now suffer from pain all over foot. Rate success a 1 on 0-10 scale. Looking back I think I should have waited longer before surgery but hard to say now if I could have taken it any longer. Suffered for 2 years before I gave in.
Still suffering and still unable to walk any distance ie: mall etc.
Still unable to work at my profession.

Re: An informal poll: OOOOOO

DaNita on 1/17/00 at 00:00 (014838)

I have had 2 pf surgeries and one TTS surgery on my left foot and 1 pf on my right and TTS on my right.
On a scale of 1-10
OOOOOOO My feet are so screwed up its unbeliveable. I have been fighting this the last 4 yrs. I also have fibromyalgia. I no longer can work or do any of the fun things I use to enjoy, if it means standing/walking longer than 20. minutes forget it! I would never reccommend surgery to any one. Just my opinion. Doctors don't agree on anything. Each one I have been to tell me something different than the last one. Who do you believe?

Rick R on 1/17/00 at 00:00 (014846)

Nancy,

Great question. I'm answering in the context of my expectations. I think to expect to be the same as you were before that first hint of a problem is a bit too optimistic. Given that perspective I rate the work done on me to be a 10 by a very skilled Orthopedic surgeon. I still take many precautions which may be overkill. Since I still have a nasty spur on the non-repaired side it's easy to stay a bit cautious. With taping etc. I can run again so that's a 10 by me.