Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Thanks, Nancy S. now I am leery of podiatry.

Posted by dang dave on 1/14/00 at 00:00 (014754)

I can see now why my MD friend was a little sniffy about podiatry....although if the podiatrists want to stay in business they'd better get up to speed about plantar fasciitis. (NO MDs and they get paid???)

I did learn some interesting stats at one podiatrist's website: nothing about pf btw, but he said that foot problems increase with downward mobility or for those lower on the income ladder, thus I guess those of us who have problems paying for medical bills will be having further foot problems. That didn't seem very 'scientific' though. The 'site' was full of vague truisms.....

ran a couple miles today. I think I am pretty fit in the feet so far... but can't take too many chances. (Also, 'stress' seems to cause flareups of pf in my experience.... and too much work paying off Christmas bills!!_)

see you all later, my son's having a birthday party, gotta go.

Re: Thanks, Nancy S. now I am leery of podiatry.

wendyn on 1/14/00 at 00:00 (014761)

First Dave, let me confess that I'm jealous of anyone who can run a few miles...I've resorted to hobbling around as little as possible and my pain since New Year's has gone from 2 to a persistent 6 or 7. No explanation...but very depressing...I am happy though that you can do so much (I'm not really jealous - just frustrated).

I suppose there could be a correlation between foot pain and income...a lot of lower income jobs would require standing or walking (couriers, waitresses, cashiers, laborers etc). Also, individuals with lower incomes may not be able to take time off work to heal - and may have inadequate health care as well. That's the only possible connection I could think of.

I was skimming some Podiatry news last year - and there was an article that showed a connection between IQ and heel height of womens shoes. The higher the heel, the lower the average IQ of the wearer. I guess now that I wear Birks I should make application to Mensa - because I don't think it gets any lower than that!

Re: Thanks, Nancy S. now I am leery of podiatry.

wendyn on 1/14/00 at 00:00 (014761)

First Dave, let me confess that I'm jealous of anyone who can run a few miles...I've resorted to hobbling around as little as possible and my pain since New Year's has gone from 2 to a persistent 6 or 7. No explanation...but very depressing...I am happy though that you can do so much (I'm not really jealous - just frustrated).

I suppose there could be a correlation between foot pain and income...a lot of lower income jobs would require standing or walking (couriers, waitresses, cashiers, laborers etc). Also, individuals with lower incomes may not be able to take time off work to heal - and may have inadequate health care as well. That's the only possible connection I could think of.

I was skimming some Podiatry news last year - and there was an article that showed a connection between IQ and heel height of womens shoes. The higher the heel, the lower the average IQ of the wearer. I guess now that I wear Birks I should make application to Mensa - because I don't think it gets any lower than that!