Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: Nerve Entrapment

Posted by Colleen G on 1/15/00 at 00:00 (014787)

My DPM really wasn't positive if there was nerve entrapment. He told me that during the surgery for the PF release that he would look and if there was in fact nerve entrapment that he would release it. The incision is on the inside of the foot about 2 1/2 inches. THe incision would be the same size if he was just doing the PF release. He said what he would have to do is stick his finger inside the tube like covering that goes over the nerves. He used his pinky finger. HE suspected nerve entrapment because I was getting pins and needles and my toes were 'twitching'.

It took a while for the twitching to stop. Now I only twitch minimally, maybe once every other week. The worst part about the surgery is the numbness in the heel right near the incision. I have gotten most of my feeling back. Oh and I can't spread my toes anymore. I always bought my shoes a half size bigger so that I could spread them. A little strange don't you think?

Hope that helps.

john h on 1/15/00 at 00:00 (014803)

colleen: i had a pf release and tts release at the same time and incision is over 6' long. for the doctor to get a good look at the nerves the incision would be well above your ankle bone. there is one or more nerves a doctor can examine during open pf surgery but for a complete look and or release the incision will be much longer than with pf alone..

Re: Nerve Entrapment(to John H)

Colleen G on 1/15/00 at 00:00 (014805)

John,

Not to doubt you or anything, but I think I know what my doctor did to me. After all it is MY FOOT, not yours!! HE used a camera to get a look at the nerves. JUst so you know he video tapes his surgies to cover his butt. And he explains what he is doing as he does it.

john h on 1/15/00 at 00:00 (014803)

colleen: i had a pf release and tts release at the same time and incision is over 6' long. for the doctor to get a good look at the nerves the incision would be well above your ankle bone. there is one or more nerves a doctor can examine during open pf surgery but for a complete look and or release the incision will be much longer than with pf alone..

Re: Nerve Entrapment(to John H)

Colleen G on 1/15/00 at 00:00 (014805)

John,

Not to doubt you or anything, but I think I know what my doctor did to me. After all it is MY FOOT, not yours!! HE used a camera to get a look at the nerves. JUst so you know he video tapes his surgies to cover his butt. And he explains what he is doing as he does it.