Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: bromelain and milligrams

Posted by Robin B. on 1/15/00 at 00:00 (014795)

Whew -- I have started this message twice, hit the wrong keys on the keyboard twice -- and heaven only knows where my two incomplete messages went. Maybe they will show up here -- maybe not.

Anyway, to anyone who is interested in bromelain -- the volume of milligrams is not the important factor if you intend to use bromelain as an anti-inflammatory. The gel dissolving units (GDUs) are what's important.

1500-1800 GDUs is considered a healthy dose of bromelain. Whether that has 100 milligrams or 1000 doesn't seem to make any difference. There is a lot of information on bromelain available on the Internet to describe the importance of GDUs.

Used on a full stomach, bromelain will work primarily as a digestive aid. Used on an empty stomach, it has anti-inflammatory properties. I have been using bromelain since July 1999. I take it inbetween meals (including the very first thing when I get up in the morning); I take 3 or 4 caps per day, spaced out throughout the day. Each cap is 500 milligrams and 600 GDUs.

Bromelain has been a godsend for me. I buy it now from the Vitamin Shoppe in lots of 300 capsules, and I buy a lot of it. I do find that it works best on a consistently empty stomach -- that means, I don't take it before meals, I DO take it really between meals. For example: 10 or 10:30 in the morning is good; 2 or 3 in the afternoon is good. Late at night is good.

I have seen no adverse effects at all. In fact, other than helping my feet to not hurt so much, I have seen NO OTHER effects.