Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

mercury amalgams and PF

Posted by pete on 1/17/00 at 00:00 (014850)

To clarify, I do not live in vermont, nor am I fighting any dental boards,but i have read alot on the subject of amalgams because i have them and i'm going to get them removed. I'm just a PF suffer (chronic) who also has some other symptoms that are unexplainable. I think mercury has something to do with many of my symptoms including the PF. i did post a message on an amalgam board, and one person did respond saying her pf cleared up in 1994 after amalgam removal.

also, the arguement that dentists have been using mercury for 150 years sounds good on the surface, but doesn't hold up under scrutiny. back in the 70's, dentists started using amalgams that had a higher concentration of copper, and it is theorized that the higher copper amalgams that all us younger folks have, gives off mercury alot faster due to the higher copper content.

i will gaurantee you amalgams with mercury will stop being used at some point in this country. amalgams in sweden, germany and austria are being elininated as we speak. it's the height of insanity that dentists put highly toxic poison in people's mouths. if you want to read more on it, read 'it's all in your head' by hal huggins. i actually haven't seen alot of info yet on connecting pf to amalgams, but maybe the light bulb just hasn't clicked yet in many practitioners heads.

any furhter comments are welcome!

Re: mercury amalgams and PF

alan k on 1/17/00 at 00:00 (014851)

I think a balanced attitude toward this is best.
I think toxic substances in the mouth is a probably bad idea.
I think one can't trust disavowals from dentists or other dental health practicioners because they may not want to face the idea that they put poison in peoples' mouths. Who would want to believe that?
The history of the medical profession is a long story of harmful practices that seemed okay at one time and now we look back in astonishment. At least medicine and dentistry is open, eventually, to self-correction and perhaps these amalgams will prove one more example of medical progress through science.
How much does it cost to replace the amalgams (not that I could ever afford it)?

alan k

john a on 1/17/00 at 00:00 (014852)

Here is a slightly skeptical, but not definitively so, view:
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_428.html

pete on 1/17/00 at 00:00 (014855)

i've got about 11 of them (some pretty big) and i've gotten estimates between $1,500 and $2,800. I have one crown which will probably add another $400 over and above the average per tooth cost.

as for study and scientific research, i think eventually they'll show mercury amalgams to be the horrific thing they are. by the time you could ever prove it in a court of law though, it could be 10-20 years. i'm taking the common sense approach. i.e. mercury is very, very toxic. generally speaking (of coarse) the mouth is a very bad place to put toxic substances, especially on a permanent basis. for me, that's enough. i don't need to wait for (nor do i want to risk waiting for) the law suits to start to fly against the american dental association and their members for holding the line on what is obviously a very dangerous substance to have in your mouth.

who knows. maybe i'll get them removed, and experience no benficial effects, but there is only one way to find out. lord knows, i don't take this lightly due to the time and money involved. i just think there there is too much evedence out there though too support that the amalgam thing can be a real problem for some people. if my pf impvoves after removal, i'll report back here. i'm not even really removing them in hopes of improving my pf at this point, but hopefully will alleviate some other symptoms. however, if the pf gets better too, that would be awsome!

pete

alan k on 1/17/00 at 00:00 (014851)

I think a balanced attitude toward this is best.
I think toxic substances in the mouth is a probably bad idea.
I think one can't trust disavowals from dentists or other dental health practicioners because they may not want to face the idea that they put poison in peoples' mouths. Who would want to believe that?
The history of the medical profession is a long story of harmful practices that seemed okay at one time and now we look back in astonishment. At least medicine and dentistry is open, eventually, to self-correction and perhaps these amalgams will prove one more example of medical progress through science.
How much does it cost to replace the amalgams (not that I could ever afford it)?

alan k

john a on 1/17/00 at 00:00 (014852)

Here is a slightly skeptical, but not definitively so, view:
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_428.html

pete on 1/17/00 at 00:00 (014855)

i've got about 11 of them (some pretty big) and i've gotten estimates between $1,500 and $2,800. I have one crown which will probably add another $400 over and above the average per tooth cost.

as for study and scientific research, i think eventually they'll show mercury amalgams to be the horrific thing they are. by the time you could ever prove it in a court of law though, it could be 10-20 years. i'm taking the common sense approach. i.e. mercury is very, very toxic. generally speaking (of coarse) the mouth is a very bad place to put toxic substances, especially on a permanent basis. for me, that's enough. i don't need to wait for (nor do i want to risk waiting for) the law suits to start to fly against the american dental association and their members for holding the line on what is obviously a very dangerous substance to have in your mouth.

who knows. maybe i'll get them removed, and experience no benficial effects, but there is only one way to find out. lord knows, i don't take this lightly due to the time and money involved. i just think there there is too much evedence out there though too support that the amalgam thing can be a real problem for some people. if my pf impvoves after removal, i'll report back here. i'm not even really removing them in hopes of improving my pf at this point, but hopefully will alleviate some other symptoms. however, if the pf gets better too, that would be awsome!

pete