Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Custom Inserts

Posted by VLJ on 1/18/00 at 00:00 (014877)

Dave, some questions: what type of arches do you have...high,flat,etc and did you ever have a pair of orthotics made thru a dr's office to compare with the Superfeet brand? I've had great relief with my 'dr office' orthotics but will be very interested in finding an equal but less expensive alternative when it comes time to replace them.

also, what type of 'custom fitting' do they do to the Kork insoles at the store?

Re: Custom Inserts

dang dave on 1/18/00 at 00:00 (014895)

here's a link

I have the half length 'customKork' foot bed. It's fitted at the store (at an appointed time) which takes about 20 mins. or so. The 'Kork' is heated in a little convection oven with some heated mixture of resin then it is fitted to the arch of the foot with fabric covering between foot and the heated malable 'Kork' while the footbed is vacumn bagged to the foot. It sets up quickly and feels afterward like a custom fitted Birkenstock sole (the Kork seems very Cork like and is very comfortable as a Birkenstock but comforming to my feet exactly.

However, the store owner made it clear to me he didn't want to advertize this as an 'orthotic' probably to avoid being sued by the many foot doctors out there.

If I was made of money I'd give the orthotic a try, but I looked over the $l50 plus model shown to me by the nurse practitioner and it looked overly 'soft' and not as well made as the Korkbed.... (estimated longevity was loosely given as being 2 years or so...) ...

Now that I feel my feet are just about as good as they've been in a couple of years, I only give credit to doctor's office for the info. already gotten at Heelspurs.com and the nice cortisone shot. But these inserts are excellent... although I just ran a couple of miles without them with my Merrell trail running shoes and it seems maybe I no longer need 'custom footbeds' at least with a soft flexible shoe. But with stiffer shoes and boots, I wouldn't go anywhere with out that custom footbed.

VLJ on 1/18/00 at 00:00 (014897)

Thanks for the info. I'll look into them when I need to replace what I've got. Wish the cortizone had helped me like it did you.

I'm jealous that you can walk let alone run. I'm one of those that am grateful that I'm off crutches and can actually stand long enough to cook dinner and do the dishes! I'd give almost anything to be able to walk just a half mile a day again.

john a on 1/19/00 at 00:00 (014920)

Where is the place you went to to get the custom superfeet inserts? I was all set to go get mine, but the place that was supposed to have them near me (Syosset, NY) said they no longer make them. The guy said there were only 5 in North America!

john a on 1/19/00 at 00:00 (014928)

I have since tried zip codes of other nearby cities, and I get many more shops with Custom Fit Centers. I guess their search-by-distance algorithm needs some work...

Re: Custom Inserts (superfeet... )

dang dave on 1/20/00 at 00:00 (014936)

john, honest, I am not a Superfeet stock holder nor advertizer. I should have mentioned only one store in my area had the custom fitting ability and they had me make an appointment.

I was pretty much in pain then and even bought a new pair of boots there too,... but the boots didn't work like the Superfeet did. (the shop is the Alpine Shop in South Burlington, Vermont)

I am not crazy about some skis I bought there a year ago either....but the Superfeet have been the best thing ever for my Plantar Fasciitis, although I am not needing them as much now as I wear often my Merrell Red Desert trail shoes (also bought there...)---- again I haven't connection with this store... )

Although the owner did interceed when I almost bought a lesser quality of Superfeet insert... and not because of money... but he explained the Hot Kork method as being superior to a slightly less Superfeet model... I am grateful for his assistance in directing my attention to the hot custom Kork (trademark name).

All in all, I suspect that if in doubt, go with the Computer designed custom more expensive Orthotic. Like I said, I have had the bucks to try them. But they look overly soft and the Superfeet Kork mimics the aclaimed Birkenstock cork bed in stiffness and give.

I may have just been lucky in finding the best store for this. My Superfeet insert btw has a Red cloth cover and is only 'Korked' two thirds from rear of heal to just shy of the balls of feet.... and the full ski boot model isn't recommended for walkers and hikers and probably is slightly more in cost.

A lot of people swear by the off the shelf 20 to 30 dollar Superfeet inserts... but they aren't PF sufferers that I know off.

Up to a point nothing works completely. It was just that the recent (3 weeks ago) cortisone shot and the recent purchase of the Superfeet custom insert..(6 weeks ago). seemed to help turn the corner for me.

After running two days in a row, I can feel VERY very slightly feel a tiny little twinge of something in my Right foot left side of heal. for that I massage and rest the feet tonight with a little ice and warm water after... nothing to worry about... but Note, The ever so painful left foot that got the cortisone shot feels completely healed!!

dang dave on 1/18/00 at 00:00 (014895)

here's a link

I have the half length 'customKork' foot bed. It's fitted at the store (at an appointed time) which takes about 20 mins. or so. The 'Kork' is heated in a little convection oven with some heated mixture of resin then it is fitted to the arch of the foot with fabric covering between foot and the heated malable 'Kork' while the footbed is vacumn bagged to the foot. It sets up quickly and feels afterward like a custom fitted Birkenstock sole (the Kork seems very Cork like and is very comfortable as a Birkenstock but comforming to my feet exactly.

However, the store owner made it clear to me he didn't want to advertize this as an 'orthotic' probably to avoid being sued by the many foot doctors out there.

If I was made of money I'd give the orthotic a try, but I looked over the $l50 plus model shown to me by the nurse practitioner and it looked overly 'soft' and not as well made as the Korkbed.... (estimated longevity was loosely given as being 2 years or so...) ...

Now that I feel my feet are just about as good as they've been in a couple of years, I only give credit to doctor's office for the info. already gotten at Heelspurs.com and the nice cortisone shot. But these inserts are excellent... although I just ran a couple of miles without them with my Merrell trail running shoes and it seems maybe I no longer need 'custom footbeds' at least with a soft flexible shoe. But with stiffer shoes and boots, I wouldn't go anywhere with out that custom footbed.

VLJ on 1/18/00 at 00:00 (014897)

Thanks for the info. I'll look into them when I need to replace what I've got. Wish the cortizone had helped me like it did you.

I'm jealous that you can walk let alone run. I'm one of those that am grateful that I'm off crutches and can actually stand long enough to cook dinner and do the dishes! I'd give almost anything to be able to walk just a half mile a day again.

john a on 1/19/00 at 00:00 (014920)

Where is the place you went to to get the custom superfeet inserts? I was all set to go get mine, but the place that was supposed to have them near me (Syosset, NY) said they no longer make them. The guy said there were only 5 in North America!

john a on 1/19/00 at 00:00 (014928)

I have since tried zip codes of other nearby cities, and I get many more shops with Custom Fit Centers. I guess their search-by-distance algorithm needs some work...

Re: Custom Inserts (superfeet... )

dang dave on 1/20/00 at 00:00 (014936)

john, honest, I am not a Superfeet stock holder nor advertizer. I should have mentioned only one store in my area had the custom fitting ability and they had me make an appointment.

I was pretty much in pain then and even bought a new pair of boots there too,... but the boots didn't work like the Superfeet did. (the shop is the Alpine Shop in South Burlington, Vermont)

I am not crazy about some skis I bought there a year ago either....but the Superfeet have been the best thing ever for my Plantar Fasciitis, although I am not needing them as much now as I wear often my Merrell Red Desert trail shoes (also bought there...)---- again I haven't connection with this store... )

Although the owner did interceed when I almost bought a lesser quality of Superfeet insert... and not because of money... but he explained the Hot Kork method as being superior to a slightly less Superfeet model... I am grateful for his assistance in directing my attention to the hot custom Kork (trademark name).

All in all, I suspect that if in doubt, go with the Computer designed custom more expensive Orthotic. Like I said, I have had the bucks to try them. But they look overly soft and the Superfeet Kork mimics the aclaimed Birkenstock cork bed in stiffness and give.

I may have just been lucky in finding the best store for this. My Superfeet insert btw has a Red cloth cover and is only 'Korked' two thirds from rear of heal to just shy of the balls of feet.... and the full ski boot model isn't recommended for walkers and hikers and probably is slightly more in cost.

A lot of people swear by the off the shelf 20 to 30 dollar Superfeet inserts... but they aren't PF sufferers that I know off.

Up to a point nothing works completely. It was just that the recent (3 weeks ago) cortisone shot and the recent purchase of the Superfeet custom insert..(6 weeks ago). seemed to help turn the corner for me.

After running two days in a row, I can feel VERY very slightly feel a tiny little twinge of something in my Right foot left side of heal. for that I massage and rest the feet tonight with a little ice and warm water after... nothing to worry about... but Note, The ever so painful left foot that got the cortisone shot feels completely healed!!