Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

good luck, did you try the exercises??

Posted by dand dave on 1/19/00 at 00:00 (014906)

I am probably not a 'bad case' but I had this latest bout of PF for 6 months. I wasn't 'crippled' but I am currently 'underemployed' and I limped alot. This is a devastating, unseen problem for many people it seems. I tend to think 'stress' is part of PF sufferers problem. Whenever I think about my dwindling bank account I get a little twinge of pain in the feet. But 'exercise' is probably the best solution I've come up with. Start very light and build up. I don't want this PF again so I guess I am going to have to keep in shape. My only problem now is that when I start to work longer hours than my average 20 a week, it'll flare up again as 'work' usually doesn't supply 'good' exercise. (I work on my feet and in different positions, but not very 'aerobatically'. I am a self employed 'carpenter' and jack of all trades ... but financially that's getting 'old' so thus the 'stress'. )

For first off, if in real pain constantly try to get massage done on the feet and then learn to do it regular. The stretching is next. I wish I could see a prof. physical therapist and massage person. But my current budget doesn't allow it.

I really need to hike and run for my sanity as well as my feet. I am lucky to have good places to do both nearby. But even if in a highly urban place there are city parks that most be okay. Women though with their personal safty issues have a different perspective perhaps. Where to do exercise and also do the job? That's a tough question for many who are either very hurt by PF and those who have full time jobs plus homework.

Even if you can only walk a quarter mile without pain, please try to keep at it. Sometime the pain may just float away and you'll find yourself walking for longer distances. Also, Spring's just around the corner. We're having a bit of low temps here in the NE right now... but that's normal for this time of year. The older I get the more I see Spring just around the corner.

Gotta go put more logs on the fire.

Re: good luck, did you try the exercises??

alan k on 1/20/00 at 00:00 (014944)

Remember that it is not clear that such activity is helpful for pf. It is likely a complex of various factors of rest vs. atrophy different for everyone. Extending ones own experience to others has to be tentative, and even ones own experience for oneself has to be questioned a little. The fact that you are not completely healed means that you cannot say that your hiking is, without any doubt whatsoever, good for your feet.

Re: good luck, did you try the exercises??

alan k on 1/20/00 at 00:00 (014944)

Remember that it is not clear that such activity is helpful for pf. It is likely a complex of various factors of rest vs. atrophy different for everyone. Extending ones own experience to others has to be tentative, and even ones own experience for oneself has to be questioned a little. The fact that you are not completely healed means that you cannot say that your hiking is, without any doubt whatsoever, good for your feet.