Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

your feet will get BETTER!!

Posted by dang dave on 1/20/00 at 00:00 (014935)

I was limping badly everywhere I walked. And I hadn't ran in 5 months. Did a couple of miles running of level pavements today. This time again with the Merrell trail shoes called 'Red Desert'... My feet feel great... but then I haven't worked all week.

I think PF can and should be overcome, but that is hard for those in the midst of PF to feel.... When I discovered I just didn't have temporary 'sore feet' I nearly fell off my chair self diagnosing it on the computer (maybe at this website), I nearly puked and fainted ... as I Love to hike and trail run and was hoping to get in better shape. My plans have been set back months. I'd hoped to have finished the Long Trail (here in VT.) by now.

I do know now I have to take care of my feet.... but that doesn't mean not using my feet... in fact atrophy in my case was probably the precursor to PF (where I took off a year of work to just play around on the computer and enjoy a laid back sort of life and back away from responsibilities due to a 'seperation'). Regular exercise is key to keeping PF and foot problems at bay.... but Too much time on the feet in bad conditions (like standing on concrete for 8 or more hours a day...) is also a cause of PF... (I had severe footpain 2 decades ago when I had a job like that..)

Also, if backpacking when hiking... dump the big heavy packs they were all selling up 'til a few months ago. Now 'fast packing' and ultra light weight gear is the rage in Backpacking. There are packs that weigh less than a pound alone... (whereas I got suckered into buying an 'elite' Dana Terraplane (recommended by Backpacker Magazine...which weighed 8 pounds without anything in it....want to buy it???)

I have cut back on the weight of a pack when I carry one... rarely now.. as I just do short hikes. Also, my dog has a pack. I'll let him carry at least the food and water.

Re: your feet will get BETTER!!

VLJ on 1/20/00 at 00:00 (014939)

I don't want to start a 'fight' by any means, but, Dave, what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. I was walking a minimum of three miles a day (at 2.25 miles an hour)five days a week and diligently stretching calf and ham string muscles everyday and I got PF anyway!
Yes, perhaps very moderate walking is helpful at some point, but for some of us there are phases of PF where it is impossible. Stretching, icing, anti-inflammitories, and a good set of orthotics finally got me off crutches...but according to your theory of exercising the feet everyday I never should have had PF.

alan k on 1/20/00 at 00:00 (014943)

This comment may be right. A lot of people believe that one shouldn't be long-walking or running at all until several months after pf has completely cleared. Especially with cortisone shots, one might not be aware of the damage done until it wears off.

Strenthening exersizes like toe curls and towel grabs with gentle frequent and not too long periods of stretching might be necessary for a long time before returning to activities that brought on pf.

alan k

john h on 1/20/00 at 00:00 (014957)

several times i thought i was on the road to recovery and proceeded to walk 2 or 3 miles 3 or 4 days in a row. setbacks came as a consequence. my pf ( i think ) was brought on by overuse of running 5 days a week in the hills and on concrete. i ignored my body signals of pain.

VLJ on 1/20/00 at 00:00 (014939)

I don't want to start a 'fight' by any means, but, Dave, what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. I was walking a minimum of three miles a day (at 2.25 miles an hour)five days a week and diligently stretching calf and ham string muscles everyday and I got PF anyway!
Yes, perhaps very moderate walking is helpful at some point, but for some of us there are phases of PF where it is impossible. Stretching, icing, anti-inflammitories, and a good set of orthotics finally got me off crutches...but according to your theory of exercising the feet everyday I never should have had PF.

alan k on 1/20/00 at 00:00 (014943)

This comment may be right. A lot of people believe that one shouldn't be long-walking or running at all until several months after pf has completely cleared. Especially with cortisone shots, one might not be aware of the damage done until it wears off.

Strenthening exersizes like toe curls and towel grabs with gentle frequent and not too long periods of stretching might be necessary for a long time before returning to activities that brought on pf.

alan k

john h on 1/20/00 at 00:00 (014957)

several times i thought i was on the road to recovery and proceeded to walk 2 or 3 miles 3 or 4 days in a row. setbacks came as a consequence. my pf ( i think ) was brought on by overuse of running 5 days a week in the hills and on concrete. i ignored my body signals of pain.