Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

exactly how does this Pilates machine work

Posted by Annette on 1/20/00 at 00:00 (014940)

Hi,
I hear some of you talking about this Pilates machine and how well it works for you, I have seen a picture of it, but was wondering exactly how this machine works, and what kind of exersizes do you do with it, and why this certian kind of exersize works so well for the faciitis foot , sounds like it is even better than just plain rest. Does it strengthen the foot, does it stretch the foot? Is there no stress at all on the foot? I am very curious, has it helped everybody that has tried it? then if it has, I think that it is worth investing in.
thanks for any kind of info, (sorry so many questions)
annette

Re: exactly how does this Pilates machine work

alan k on 1/20/00 at 00:00 (014942)

Do a word search 'pilates' on this site to get the whole story, especially the posts by its advocate on the board whose name I don't remember. She healed herself, her husband and some friends with it.

My wife may have helped her pf with it. I have tts and do most of the exersizes which are non-weight bearing and tone me up without any impact on the feet, not even like that of walking to pick up a dumbell or walking to the next machine, etc.

For pf the idea of the advocate is that it stretches and provides controlled resistance. There is a board you lie on, which slides on rollers away from a bar you place you feet on in varius positions. The board and bar are connected by bungy cords which you easily adjust to one, 2, 3, or four cords resistance. There are also ropes by which you can pull the board away rather than use your legs. For the feet, you push against the bungy resistance, and then it pulls you back down when you release, and stretches you. You put your feet in various positions and it strengthens/stretches in various ways.
With the ropes you pull in various ways lying and sitting forward and sitting backward, and works out your upper body. Also, you put the straps on your feet and do various things with the legs. I can do these latter exersizes which don't hurt my feet.

I don't know if the machine will heal pf but I suspect it could be helpful. I certainly think it would keep off pf from returning in healed or nearly healed people. But the person who introduced it here flat out worked off pf from ground zero up.

Even though this might not be the solution for my tarsal tunnel syndrome, it does give me a total body workout, gets my circulation going and my keep my spirits up, without any pressure on my feet (because I skip the feet exersizes). Its like swimming only its in your living room. It is definitely the best piece of exersize equipment I have ever used, although I have never been a fan of equipment.

If you are not getting as much exersize as you like, have some money or credit, and have classic pf, I would get it. Other than classic pf, I would weigh the money against the desire to do non-wieght bearing exersize at home.

I have perfect satisfaction with the pilates premier I got at egghead.com.

alan k

Re: exactly how does this Pilates machine work

alan k on 1/20/00 at 00:00 (014942)

Do a word search 'pilates' on this site to get the whole story, especially the posts by its advocate on the board whose name I don't remember. She healed herself, her husband and some friends with it.

My wife may have helped her pf with it. I have tts and do most of the exersizes which are non-weight bearing and tone me up without any impact on the feet, not even like that of walking to pick up a dumbell or walking to the next machine, etc.

For pf the idea of the advocate is that it stretches and provides controlled resistance. There is a board you lie on, which slides on rollers away from a bar you place you feet on in varius positions. The board and bar are connected by bungy cords which you easily adjust to one, 2, 3, or four cords resistance. There are also ropes by which you can pull the board away rather than use your legs. For the feet, you push against the bungy resistance, and then it pulls you back down when you release, and stretches you. You put your feet in various positions and it strengthens/stretches in various ways.
With the ropes you pull in various ways lying and sitting forward and sitting backward, and works out your upper body. Also, you put the straps on your feet and do various things with the legs. I can do these latter exersizes which don't hurt my feet.

I don't know if the machine will heal pf but I suspect it could be helpful. I certainly think it would keep off pf from returning in healed or nearly healed people. But the person who introduced it here flat out worked off pf from ground zero up.

Even though this might not be the solution for my tarsal tunnel syndrome, it does give me a total body workout, gets my circulation going and my keep my spirits up, without any pressure on my feet (because I skip the feet exersizes). Its like swimming only its in your living room. It is definitely the best piece of exersize equipment I have ever used, although I have never been a fan of equipment.

If you are not getting as much exersize as you like, have some money or credit, and have classic pf, I would get it. Other than classic pf, I would weigh the money against the desire to do non-wieght bearing exersize at home.

I have perfect satisfaction with the pilates premier I got at egghead.com.

alan k