Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Contrarian advice that may have some benefit....

Posted by dang dave on 1/20/00 at 00:00 (014949)

Okay, folks, I will admit that 'dang dave' is short for dangerousdave, used on another forum.. but:

this page has an interesting idea about 'strenghtening muscle fibers' and stretching....

I suspect that the plantar fasia maybe weak when it encounters strain that leads to plantar fasciitis. Probably long periods of inaction followed by a sudden stressful activity may cause it.

I don't recommend going out and stressing our feet 'once a week' for strength reasons... but the idea that the fascia and the muscles are associated with the fascia are anarobic or not needing oxygen (only belattedly through the nutrient stream) is interesting. Maybe steady 'endurance' exercises are not the best for exercising the feet (noted for their slow heeling and lack of bloodsupply) but strength exercises are better.. thus heel lifts and drops on the stairs, some weight exercises etc maybe better. long runs probably aren't good but short runs maybe excellent!!

sorry for posting so much, just taking the morning off. see you all later~

Re: Contrarian advice that may have some benefit....

alan k on 1/20/00 at 00:00 (014953)

That page is interesting. I get the sense of what it means for running. What do you think it means for pf?

alan k

john h on 1/20/00 at 00:00 (014955)

dangdave: i do not think your advice is contrarian. i have read such advice in a number of articles. i sometimes wonder about how much and what kind of stretching to do. i personally think it may vary from individual to individual. if your fascia has microtears i wonder how strething would allow any healing and not continue to cause more microtears and further inflamation. i like the idea of a night splint holding your foot in a dorsifled position allowing healing in a somewhat stretched position.

alan k on 1/20/00 at 00:00 (014953)

That page is interesting. I get the sense of what it means for running. What do you think it means for pf?

alan k

john h on 1/20/00 at 00:00 (014955)

dangdave: i do not think your advice is contrarian. i have read such advice in a number of articles. i sometimes wonder about how much and what kind of stretching to do. i personally think it may vary from individual to individual. if your fascia has microtears i wonder how strething would allow any healing and not continue to cause more microtears and further inflamation. i like the idea of a night splint holding your foot in a dorsifled position allowing healing in a somewhat stretched position.