Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Neurologists

Posted by wendyn on 1/20/00 at 00:00 (014970)

Alan, as you know - people with TTS are also more likely to have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. If the pain in your foot is indeed TTS - you may have the same thing in your wrists.

I have the same situation, much milder in my wrists. They sometimes wake me up at night - and I often wake up with numb fingers. The sensation usually is uncomfortable but rarely painful in my hands.

I think (?) you had the Nerve Conduction tests done on your feet - perhaps you should have it done on your wrists too.

I see my GP tomorrow to see where we go from here (tired of being passed from doctor to doctor) and I go for acupuncture Monday.

Will let you know what the word is.....always like to hope that there's something around the corner that will make a difference.

I want to discuss the neurologist with him too, as well as whether or not we are headed in the right direction. Everyone (the GP, two sports med doctrs and my PT) that examine me, finds a concern about my lower back that they worry may be contributing to the pain. I am concerned that I am waiting for a foot and ankle surgeon - who may turn around and say the same thing. Then I will have waited all this time for nothing. I want to know what we can do to find out if this is coming from my back or not. I have been having a lot of pain lately in my back and legs, and this has me concerned that they may be right that there's more to this than just my feet.

Re: Neurologists

alan k on 1/20/00 at 00:00 (014971)

Maybe that's good news Wendy. Maybe if it's your back there is something that can be done.

As for me, it's not my wrist that hurts at all. Mostly my thumb and sometimes the rest of the hand. It's not carpal tunnel, I don't think. Anyway, I expect I would be negative on the wrist emg as I was on the feet.

I just think there is some other cause, somehow, in my system, hopefully not peripheral neuropathy. I wonder if it is not the case with several others as well.

alan k

wendyn on 1/20/00 at 00:00 (014974)

Alan, my knowledge of carpal tunnel is limited, but I believe that it affects the thumb, index and sometimes middle finger. You may want to do some research on it to see if it sounds like your symptoms. At times I have problems with my baby fingers only, which is apparently a different nerve (outside the carpal tunnel). Evidently I have problems with a whole bunch of squashed nerves.

john h on 1/21/00 at 00:00 (014986)

wendy: i had low back surgery about 20 years ago and always have had some degree of pain in the low back. when my feet developed problems my back became worse or was it the other way around? when i had the emg i asked he doctor who was performing he test if the test might show if my foot pain was being caused by my back. he mumbled something which i did not follow up on. last night while watching Chicago Hope the doctor on tv was looking at a cat scan and pointed out something in he S-1 area which he said could be causing the patient's 'burning feet'. since these programs typically are based on real life medical conditions i assume that burning feet can be caused by a spinal condition.

john h on 1/22/00 at 00:00 (015016)

about 21 years ago i started having tingling in one of my fingers and pain in my shoulder. it progressed to some of the worst pain i have ever experienced some 3 months later (pain moved to neck). what had happened was a disc had ruputered in my neck (C4/C5) and a piece would lodge against a nerve. i had a fusion with a fragment of bone from hip which got me pain free. this probably resulted from a helicopter crash in vietnam. point being a pain in finger can orriginate in neck or elsewhere.

alan k on 1/20/00 at 00:00 (014971)

Maybe that's good news Wendy. Maybe if it's your back there is something that can be done.

As for me, it's not my wrist that hurts at all. Mostly my thumb and sometimes the rest of the hand. It's not carpal tunnel, I don't think. Anyway, I expect I would be negative on the wrist emg as I was on the feet.

I just think there is some other cause, somehow, in my system, hopefully not peripheral neuropathy. I wonder if it is not the case with several others as well.

alan k

wendyn on 1/20/00 at 00:00 (014974)

Alan, my knowledge of carpal tunnel is limited, but I believe that it affects the thumb, index and sometimes middle finger. You may want to do some research on it to see if it sounds like your symptoms. At times I have problems with my baby fingers only, which is apparently a different nerve (outside the carpal tunnel). Evidently I have problems with a whole bunch of squashed nerves.

john h on 1/21/00 at 00:00 (014986)

wendy: i had low back surgery about 20 years ago and always have had some degree of pain in the low back. when my feet developed problems my back became worse or was it the other way around? when i had the emg i asked he doctor who was performing he test if the test might show if my foot pain was being caused by my back. he mumbled something which i did not follow up on. last night while watching Chicago Hope the doctor on tv was looking at a cat scan and pointed out something in he S-1 area which he said could be causing the patient's 'burning feet'. since these programs typically are based on real life medical conditions i assume that burning feet can be caused by a spinal condition.

john h on 1/22/00 at 00:00 (015016)

about 21 years ago i started having tingling in one of my fingers and pain in my shoulder. it progressed to some of the worst pain i have ever experienced some 3 months later (pain moved to neck). what had happened was a disc had ruputered in my neck (C4/C5) and a piece would lodge against a nerve. i had a fusion with a fragment of bone from hip which got me pain free. this probably resulted from a helicopter crash in vietnam. point being a pain in finger can orriginate in neck or elsewhere.