Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

B12 question

Posted by wendyn on 1/21/00 at 00:00 (014990)

Very interesting John - since that is the region that I have trouble with.

Saw my GP today - he will be sending me for nerve conduction tests on my hands and feet as I thought.

My blood work last week came back showing that I am borderline low for vitamin B12. Evidently, normal is supposed to be between 140 and 800+, mine is 135. He suggested a series of 2 or 3 B12 shots to see if it will help, although he didn't seem to think it would.

I had the shot in my arm (Alan did you say yours was in your foot?).

Does anyone know much about low B12? I know that it can cause tingling - but can it actually cause pain?

My feet are not burning as bad as yesterday, and the sharp stinging pain is not there. I would think these shots would take a while to help (if they will help at all). Are they feeling better by coincidence, or perhaps some strange placebo effect? Or is it that 'Gate Theory' again, someone whacked me with a needle in my arm...therefore I forget about my feet? Or is it just that I want so badly to have something work, that I'm convincing myself that my feet feel better than they did?

Any insight would be appreciated!

Re: B12 question !!!!!!!!! And the spine

alan k on 1/21/00 at 00:00 (014991)

As far as I have been able to figure out, B-12 deficiency is the only kind of common peripheral neuropathy that is known to be reversible. Most pn is 'ideopathic' which is their scientific sounding word to mean 'beats me.' OTher kinds involve exposure to toxics which if removed might cause improvement.

This is complex stuff and one MUST have a neurologist, according to the long term sufferers over at neuropathy.org. Also, B-12 deficiency is best treated AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Your caregiver's sort of shrugging shoulders approach, though it will get you the B-12 injections, is VERY DISTURBING to me. Wendy, please see a neurologist right away, and get someone who is very concerned about B-12 deficiency and who realizes that it is an urgent matter.

My B-12 shot was in the foot and my DPM said that acts like cortisone. Felt a little bruised there for a fdew days, but no harm or help was done by it. Monday I go for cortisone.

B-12 deficiency can cause pain, burning and tingling.

About the spinal nerve pinch-- this too could cause all the pain in the feet. It is also important to treat this early. All nerve problems are best treated early because of demyelinization, which is a process I don't understand completely. (I'm not sure I want to know-- just want to get over to a neurologist quick)

I also ordered a pn book from amazon which I should get monday (Numb Toes and Aching Soles-- about peripheral neuropathy only, by a Scott-esque sufferer of pn). Also monday I have an appointment with my primary doc to get a referral to a neurologist. I never said anything to him about his lousy treatment of me, so I get to subtly jab the elbow in too. The immediate future is looking bright.

I doubt very much the gate theory applies to a little shot, and I doubt a chronic sufferer who has experienced millions of treatments would suddenly get a placebo effect.

I want a B-12 shot in my arm too now.

alan k

wendyn on 1/21/00 at 00:00 (014994)

Alan, to clarify...

I am not classifeid as 'deficient' yet - unless it drops below 130. I am considered 'border-line low' according to the lab report. My doctor is the one who wanted to do the shots, but he isn't sure that it will help with my problem - since simply being low in B12 is not likely to cause the problems that I'm having. He felt that it would be foolish not to treat with the B12 shots because I am on the low side and having nerve related problems. As far as I know, they are trying to make sure that I have a neurologist do the next set of tests, rather than the dude who did them last time.

Re: B12 question

john h on 1/21/00 at 00:00 (014997)

wendy: was just reading an article today on carpal tunnel syndrome recommending B-6 as a possible aid. the article was from a medical journal not an alternative medicine journal. why not just a B complex.

wendyn on 1/22/00 at 00:00 (015004)

Just to be clear, this vitamin B12 info is coming from my GP - it isn't 'alternative medicine'. Evidently a deficiency in B12 can cause all kinds of problems including dementia (my family is sure this is what's wrong with me). Seriously though, I don't know why I'd have low B12 - it usually happens to strict vegans (since b12 comes from animal products) and to people with intestinal problems that affect their absorbtion of the vitamin. This is the reason for the shots (to bypass any absorbtion problem). I have no idea where we go from here on this. Would love to hear from anyone who knows more!

alan k on 1/21/00 at 00:00 (014991)

As far as I have been able to figure out, B-12 deficiency is the only kind of common peripheral neuropathy that is known to be reversible. Most pn is 'ideopathic' which is their scientific sounding word to mean 'beats me.' OTher kinds involve exposure to toxics which if removed might cause improvement.

This is complex stuff and one MUST have a neurologist, according to the long term sufferers over at neuropathy.org. Also, B-12 deficiency is best treated AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Your caregiver's sort of shrugging shoulders approach, though it will get you the B-12 injections, is VERY DISTURBING to me. Wendy, please see a neurologist right away, and get someone who is very concerned about B-12 deficiency and who realizes that it is an urgent matter.

My B-12 shot was in the foot and my DPM said that acts like cortisone. Felt a little bruised there for a fdew days, but no harm or help was done by it. Monday I go for cortisone.

B-12 deficiency can cause pain, burning and tingling.

About the spinal nerve pinch-- this too could cause all the pain in the feet. It is also important to treat this early. All nerve problems are best treated early because of demyelinization, which is a process I don't understand completely. (I'm not sure I want to know-- just want to get over to a neurologist quick)

I also ordered a pn book from amazon which I should get monday (Numb Toes and Aching Soles-- about peripheral neuropathy only, by a Scott-esque sufferer of pn). Also monday I have an appointment with my primary doc to get a referral to a neurologist. I never said anything to him about his lousy treatment of me, so I get to subtly jab the elbow in too. The immediate future is looking bright.

I doubt very much the gate theory applies to a little shot, and I doubt a chronic sufferer who has experienced millions of treatments would suddenly get a placebo effect.

I want a B-12 shot in my arm too now.

alan k

wendyn on 1/21/00 at 00:00 (014994)

Alan, to clarify...

I am not classifeid as 'deficient' yet - unless it drops below 130. I am considered 'border-line low' according to the lab report. My doctor is the one who wanted to do the shots, but he isn't sure that it will help with my problem - since simply being low in B12 is not likely to cause the problems that I'm having. He felt that it would be foolish not to treat with the B12 shots because I am on the low side and having nerve related problems. As far as I know, they are trying to make sure that I have a neurologist do the next set of tests, rather than the dude who did them last time.

john h on 1/21/00 at 00:00 (014997)

wendy: was just reading an article today on carpal tunnel syndrome recommending B-6 as a possible aid. the article was from a medical journal not an alternative medicine journal. why not just a B complex.

wendyn on 1/22/00 at 00:00 (015004)

Just to be clear, this vitamin B12 info is coming from my GP - it isn't 'alternative medicine'. Evidently a deficiency in B12 can cause all kinds of problems including dementia (my family is sure this is what's wrong with me). Seriously though, I don't know why I'd have low B12 - it usually happens to strict vegans (since b12 comes from animal products) and to people with intestinal problems that affect their absorbtion of the vitamin. This is the reason for the shots (to bypass any absorbtion problem). I have no idea where we go from here on this. Would love to hear from anyone who knows more!