Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What is De Quer syndrome? And ON POSTING

Posted by alan k on 1/22/00 at 00:00 (015009)

This board is the only thing that has helped me so far as my doctors are all less than competent and less than curious about the anomalies of my condition. I don't have the luxury of being bored with other peoples bodies like they seem to be.

I agree with Robin that sometimes it seems that not enough medical attention is being sought by people on the board-- usually first time visitors, not the information posters like Gordon, Wendy etc. We have to be eager info gobblers here on the board, and just as eager out there with the doctors. NOTE: for me this board raises questions that make me want to seek more medidal advice. IT leaves me dissatisfied with my doctors and makes me more aggressive in seeking professional help. I think this is the most common effect, and only a few people use it in place of medical advice, or decide too early that they kow what they have. I think Robin's advice was really intended for the information recievers and not the posters.

There is something about on-line communication that makes it very easy for a ball of emotion to get tossed back and forth. I think it is the combination of intimacy with publicity, and the fact that tones of voice and looks in the eyes are missing. We just need to acknowledge that we get touchy, step on eachothers toes by accident, and need to be gracious as soon as possible. It's no big deal. Just be forgiving and apologize whenever possible.

So, what is De Quer syndrome?

alan k

Re: What is De Quer syndrome? And ON POSTING

Robin on 1/22/00 at 00:00 (015019)

DeQuer (I have probably spelled it incorrectly -- it's pronounced 'decker')syndrome is very much like carpal tunnel syndrome -- except it affects the thumb. The 'tunnel' that is involved is the one holding nerves that lead to the thumb. It's far less frequent than carpal tunnel -- maybe five CTS cases to one DeQuer case -- but it hurts like CTS and sometimes worse. Treatment is similar to CTS -- conversative treatment involves serious splinting, NSAIDs, cortisone shots (youch, that was the one malady for which I did have a cortisone shot and I can honestly say, never ever again) and finally surgery. I had surgery for it after more than 2 years of trying to resolve it. Surgery was complete successful. No return of problem in 11 years. CTS was easier to get rid of -- did it in a year, no surgery. Sure wish getting rid of PF was as easy.

Re: What is De Quer syndrome? And ON POSTING

Robin on 1/22/00 at 00:00 (015019)

DeQuer (I have probably spelled it incorrectly -- it's pronounced 'decker')syndrome is very much like carpal tunnel syndrome -- except it affects the thumb. The 'tunnel' that is involved is the one holding nerves that lead to the thumb. It's far less frequent than carpal tunnel -- maybe five CTS cases to one DeQuer case -- but it hurts like CTS and sometimes worse. Treatment is similar to CTS -- conversative treatment involves serious splinting, NSAIDs, cortisone shots (youch, that was the one malady for which I did have a cortisone shot and I can honestly say, never ever again) and finally surgery. I had surgery for it after more than 2 years of trying to resolve it. Surgery was complete successful. No return of problem in 11 years. CTS was easier to get rid of -- did it in a year, no surgery. Sure wish getting rid of PF was as easy.