Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Please-- Need lots of advice before seeing my primary doc monday

Posted by alan k on 1/22/00 at 00:00 (015011)

I have been phoning in asking for referrals to my PCP, but now he's called me in after I asked for a referral for a neurologist.

I have a trump card to play which is his poor care for me when I came to him for foot pain and he didn't give me any advice to stay off my feet. I was much worse at the follow up 4-6 weeks later.

My question is what are the kinds of tests and referrals I should ask for for my condition of pain in both hands and feet, some tarsal tunnel signs, and the onset of foot pain after a flu.

I have had EMG on feet, blood tests for rheumatism and lyme, and x-rays.

Right now I want a B-12 test, and I want my digestive system tested (but I don't know what to ask for). What other things are out there that I need? Is there a test for mercury amalgam poisoning. What kinds of issues should I pursue with the doctor to make sure I cover all the bases and get to the bottom of this?

thanks, alan k

Re: Please-- Need lots of advice before seeing my primary doc monday

janet on 1/22/00 at 00:00 (015013)

Your PCP or a GI doc can address the digestive issues. A blood test will not rule out all rheumatologic conditions so you might want to see a rheumatologist agian for more extensive testing for arthritic/auto-immune conditions. An ultrasound on your feet is a very simple, not-too-expensive test that can be ordered by your PCP or an orthopod. It will show the condition of your PF (thickness at calcaneal insertion, which can be indicative of scarring/PF) and also whether you have any abnormalities or edemas in the stuff that runs through the TT. If you can get an ortho consult for this test its better because orthos are more qualified to discuss the test results and recommend a course of action. I believe that a hair analysis by a naturopath can test for heavy metals (mercury). Your PCP will probably know of other heavy metal tests.

Good luck Alan. Take a deep breath and try not to get aggressive with your PCP. Stress how much your pain is negatively affecting your activities of daily living.

Nancy S. on 1/22/00 at 00:00 (015015)

Alan, my one piece of advice is unscientific: Don't be understated with this apparently lackadaisical guy. Be a squeaky wheel -- be frightened -- be aggressive -- be dramatic while logical at the same time -- light a fire -- and play your trump card. Good luck! --Nancy

Annette GE on 1/22/00 at 00:00 (015020)

Yes there is a test for mercury toxicity or heavy metals. A good idea if you have lots of fillings. And ask for a candida test. These are not normally done so insist on them no matter what your doctor says. Take charge of your own condition. If the doctors balks ask him to send you to someone who will do them. Doctors are totally ignorant on this and pompous bastards to boot.

janet on 1/22/00 at 00:00 (015013)

Your PCP or a GI doc can address the digestive issues. A blood test will not rule out all rheumatologic conditions so you might want to see a rheumatologist agian for more extensive testing for arthritic/auto-immune conditions. An ultrasound on your feet is a very simple, not-too-expensive test that can be ordered by your PCP or an orthopod. It will show the condition of your PF (thickness at calcaneal insertion, which can be indicative of scarring/PF) and also whether you have any abnormalities or edemas in the stuff that runs through the TT. If you can get an ortho consult for this test its better because orthos are more qualified to discuss the test results and recommend a course of action. I believe that a hair analysis by a naturopath can test for heavy metals (mercury). Your PCP will probably know of other heavy metal tests.

Good luck Alan. Take a deep breath and try not to get aggressive with your PCP. Stress how much your pain is negatively affecting your activities of daily living.

Nancy S. on 1/22/00 at 00:00 (015015)

Alan, my one piece of advice is unscientific: Don't be understated with this apparently lackadaisical guy. Be a squeaky wheel -- be frightened -- be aggressive -- be dramatic while logical at the same time -- light a fire -- and play your trump card. Good luck! --Nancy

Annette GE on 1/22/00 at 00:00 (015020)

Yes there is a test for mercury toxicity or heavy metals. A good idea if you have lots of fillings. And ask for a candida test. These are not normally done so insist on them no matter what your doctor says. Take charge of your own condition. If the doctors balks ask him to send you to someone who will do them. Doctors are totally ignorant on this and pompous bastards to boot.