Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Toe numbness is spreading to other foot!(long)

Posted by Kathy W on 1/22/00 at 00:00 (015025)

I posted a while back. I have PF and bone spur in left foot. My 2nd, 3rd and little toe are numb (for reasons unknown as of yet) Currently am under treatment with a podiatrist who has tried taping (worked great for pain relief), then ordered custom orthotics which were supposed to work(waste of money!). I wear a night splint. I have been wearing Birkenstock sandals as my only shoe for a month now. It has helped a little...but recently (after wearing only the Burks) I noticed that my right foot little toe has also gone numb. My podiatrist doesn't seem to know the cause of this numbness so he seems to be ignoring it for now. I haven't given in to having cortisone shots yet. Mainly because I want to find out the cause of numbness. Should I go back to my PCP and request another referral. My PCP ran CBC before sending me to podiatrist. Only flag was elevated chloesterol - no diabetes. Any ideas about this numbness. I have a slight curve to my spin. I'm also having some aching pain in my right leg which I suspect is arthritis. I'm 32 with two active toddlers to keep up with. Help! Anyone with similar numbness in toes? Thanks!

Re: Toe numbness is spreading to other foot!(long)

alan k on 1/23/00 at 00:00 (015027)

Some things to be checked for include:

a spinal nerve entrapment (which can cause foot pains, numbness etc.)

vitamin B-12 deficiency (which if positive should put you into the care of a neurologist right away)

tarsal tunnel syndrome

other forms of peripheral neuropathy

Some things to avoid:

Going along with the wait and see attitude.

This has hurt me terribly, maybe changed the whole course of the rest of my life.

I have had PCP and DPM care with a 'lets try this and see what happens, oh how odd lets try that, yes that is strange hmm well see you in two weeks' attitude, and whatever it is that is wrong with me, it has progressed to a bad place. When I do get to the bottom of it I might discover that there was something I should have been doing all along that might have reversed it or assuaged it but now its too late.

For instance, B-12 deficiency which can cause peripheral neuropathy similar to what you describe is reversable if treated immediately. I only found out about it recently and I am going to demand a test right away. But if I didn't find out about, no one was going to tell me about it. I probably don't have it, but why take a chance? How many other things are there like that which I might have?

The numb toes are a very important sign, and your idiot doctors should be interested in it, especially in the numb toe developing on the other side. Sirens and horns should be blowing. They would be, believe me, if it was the doctors toes!

Numbness starting on one side and spreading to the other is something people with peripheral neuropathy describe on their web message board at neuropathy.org. There is also a long info document you should read.

But remember, there are any number of conditions that your symptoms might fit, and you can't decide 'it's me' based on reading this stuff. You need the doctors and the tests and referrals, as you stated already. As far as I know, which is not much as I am not medically trained, the fact that taping helped is a sure sign that you have pf. Logically, it seems to me, that does not mean that you don't have something else as well. You are right to want to look into it.

good luck, and please return the favor by letting us know what happens with the doctors what they say and how your treatment and symptoms go.

alan k

Re: Toe numbness is spreading to other foot!(long)

alan k on 1/23/00 at 00:00 (015027)

Some things to be checked for include:

a spinal nerve entrapment (which can cause foot pains, numbness etc.)

vitamin B-12 deficiency (which if positive should put you into the care of a neurologist right away)

tarsal tunnel syndrome

other forms of peripheral neuropathy

Some things to avoid:

Going along with the wait and see attitude.

This has hurt me terribly, maybe changed the whole course of the rest of my life.

I have had PCP and DPM care with a 'lets try this and see what happens, oh how odd lets try that, yes that is strange hmm well see you in two weeks' attitude, and whatever it is that is wrong with me, it has progressed to a bad place. When I do get to the bottom of it I might discover that there was something I should have been doing all along that might have reversed it or assuaged it but now its too late.

For instance, B-12 deficiency which can cause peripheral neuropathy similar to what you describe is reversable if treated immediately. I only found out about it recently and I am going to demand a test right away. But if I didn't find out about, no one was going to tell me about it. I probably don't have it, but why take a chance? How many other things are there like that which I might have?

The numb toes are a very important sign, and your idiot doctors should be interested in it, especially in the numb toe developing on the other side. Sirens and horns should be blowing. They would be, believe me, if it was the doctors toes!

Numbness starting on one side and spreading to the other is something people with peripheral neuropathy describe on their web message board at neuropathy.org. There is also a long info document you should read.

But remember, there are any number of conditions that your symptoms might fit, and you can't decide 'it's me' based on reading this stuff. You need the doctors and the tests and referrals, as you stated already. As far as I know, which is not much as I am not medically trained, the fact that taping helped is a sure sign that you have pf. Logically, it seems to me, that does not mean that you don't have something else as well. You are right to want to look into it.

good luck, and please return the favor by letting us know what happens with the doctors what they say and how your treatment and symptoms go.

alan k