Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Success story--I promised myself 8 months ago after finding this page.........

Posted by AndreaB on 1/23/00 at 00:00 (015028)

that if I EVER got better that I would post it. I remember in June last year after have PF for what seemed an eternity (developed in Sept '98) and I found this website, how elated and miserable I felt! Elated because the pain wasn't in my head and miserable because all I read was people who were suffering and very few posts from people that were cured. Obviously we have all talked here about how the majority of people who are going to post are the one's who have chronic acute pain--if you feet aren't 'killing you' what incentive do you have to read everybody's misery? I think it might be a good idea for this web page to consider a separate area for success stories only. That way when you are feeling aboslutely hopeless, you can read only 'cured' posts. Just a thought?

On with my story: For months I read this board hours upon hours, hoping that one day when I logged on to my computer that they would find a cure for this debilitating injury and my pain would disappear. But what I found was that time seems to be the only thing on my side. I am hesitant to write this because I am afraid that if I get too 'confident' that the awful pain will inflict me the way it did for over a year.

I was a marathon runner who developed non-traditional PF (no pain in a.m., excrutiating burning pain in my arches, standing was impossible etc.) after 8 years of running. For no particular reason I developed it 3 weeks prior to a marathon and being the idiot I am/was I ran it anyway. I am sure I damaged the fascia in both feet pretty good! But looking back I want to say that I have struggled with the idea that the pain is 'in my head'--Its not, the pain is real, there is a real injury but because of my 'head' I now believe that one of the reasons I couldn't heal was because of the tremendous stress my 'mental health' was in.

A doctor posted on this site that he sees a lot of chronic suffers and that they tend to have major crisis' going on in their lives when they come to see him. I believe there is truth to this--especially in my case. When I developed this injury, I was moving to a new city (in 30 years had never lived anyplace other than Minneapolis), looking for a new job after being only one place for my entire career, trying to finish my masters degree, having to take multiple exams for a new job, leaving my very close family, trying to find new friends, getting married and worst of all I moved to the rain capital of the U.S. that was in the middle of one of the worst winters on record--Seattle. All this with 'the excrutiating pain' that never went away. Talk about depressing!

In November I finally realized that I was depressed and started taking an anti-depressant and dealing with some of the issues that had created this emense stress on my life. And I have to say in the last 3 months my feet have improved remarkably--I am not going to say cured because until I can wear the shoes I want and run marathons again, I will not say cured. AND I AM NOT ADVOCATING THAT ALL PEOPLE ARE DEPRESSED--I AM SIMPLY TELLING MY STORY. However, I can now cook dinner, grocery shop, groom my dog, clean my house--basically I can stand still in one place for more than 5 minutes where as for over a year these tasks were out of the question. Yesterday I was on my feet most of the day doing all those tasks and don't even remember feeling any pain. I did sit down for an hour to 'rest them' as this has been a routine in my life for so long now that I think I do it as a precautionary measure--not because the pain forces me to do it.

I did learn alot from this page and found solace in the people and their support. But I must admit I only come here maybe once a week versus 10 times a day. I am back to exercising, eliptical trainer, stationary bike,(i run only once every two weeks for 30 minutes--what can I say I am addicted). I have been on this routine for 3 months now and had only one set back that lasted 2 days (pain when standing.)

The last thing I would like to leave with people is that I almost lost hope for ever feeling better-- I had pain on a daily basis for over a year and I would read this page and wonder if people lived in this constant pain for the rest of their lives. I am here to say 'Don't loose hope'! I am a million times better than I was for that year. I actually have days with no pain! And the days I do have pain are nothing compared to where I was from September 14, 1998 to about November 1999.

Re: Success story--I promised myself 8 months ago after finding this page.........

Nancy S. on 1/23/00 at 00:00 (015030)

Thank you for this, Andrea. It was very thoughtful of you to write, and how we need to hear stories like yours! I think that because your case is/was atypical, it will be especially heartening to the many atypical sufferers here. Having an atypical brand of this malady must be even more frightening than typical PF -- because of the unknowns, the questions that aren't easily answered. Not that this is easy for anyone. I have typical PF (for 9 months now), and this site has helped me immensely, but I still have a ways to go and have days where I'm just as frightened or discouraged as anybody else, I imagine. Congratulations to you -- for dealing with your depression, for taking good care of your feet, and for having developed what is obviously a wise and positive attitude. I have a feeling your situation will continue to improve because of all these things. Thank you again. -- Nancy S.

Re: Success story--I promised myself 8 months ago after finding this page.........

Nancy S. on 1/23/00 at 00:00 (015030)

Thank you for this, Andrea. It was very thoughtful of you to write, and how we need to hear stories like yours! I think that because your case is/was atypical, it will be especially heartening to the many atypical sufferers here. Having an atypical brand of this malady must be even more frightening than typical PF -- because of the unknowns, the questions that aren't easily answered. Not that this is easy for anyone. I have typical PF (for 9 months now), and this site has helped me immensely, but I still have a ways to go and have days where I'm just as frightened or discouraged as anybody else, I imagine. Congratulations to you -- for dealing with your depression, for taking good care of your feet, and for having developed what is obviously a wise and positive attitude. I have a feeling your situation will continue to improve because of all these things. Thank you again. -- Nancy S.