Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question about custom orthotics

Posted by Colleen G on 1/23/00 at 00:00 (015034)

I have had my orthotics for seven months. I noticed this morning when I was putting them in my new sneakers that they are worn out near the arch. I thought that they didn't need to be replaced. Not only am I flat footed by my ankles roll in quite a bit. Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks.

Colleen

Re: Question about custom orthotics

wendyn on 1/23/00 at 00:00 (015035)

Orthotics will need to be replaced, but I would be very unhappy with a pair that wore out within 7 monhths. I would take them back to the place where you got them, and see what can be done.

alan k on 1/23/00 at 00:00 (015040)

orthotics should not wear out early, but in fact they do sometimes and that is the first thing a podiatrist looks for (even my bad ones!) because it is a sign that they are not fitted properly and need an adjustment. These signs of wear are supposed to be checked regularly.
I don't know what they are supposed to do once they find it starting to wear, but I do know it is important.

alan k

Rick R on 1/24/00 at 00:00 (015055)

Colleen,

I tend to trash out orthotics in a few months. I have been getting the leather & cork type and paid somewhere around $300. I think that after about 6 months I'm no better than if I bought the off the shelf cheapies. My Daughter has some great ones for track that look like they will last a long time but they are fitted to her training shoes and can't be transfered to another shoe easily. My biggest gripe about mine is the way they tend to slide up and out of position. This is almost inevitable since they act like a wedge (wide side on the inside narrow side on the outside)and slide out toward the inside. The shoes begin to conform allowing the whole mess to position too far to the instep. For many years, prior to the relief from surgery, I taped every day and used an ace bandage to keep an arch support where it needs to be. I still perform this ritual prior to any physical activity. Another beef I have with orthotics is that they formed them to my feet as they are rather than as I wish for them to be. I'm somewhat flat footed which I think is a major part of my problem to begin with. I actually build a higher and stronger arch with my more aggressive arch support approach. I'd rather have between 1/2 1nd 1/4 of an inch more height than the way the orthotics are made.

Good Luck

Rick

wendyn on 1/23/00 at 00:00 (015035)

Orthotics will need to be replaced, but I would be very unhappy with a pair that wore out within 7 monhths. I would take them back to the place where you got them, and see what can be done.

alan k on 1/23/00 at 00:00 (015040)

orthotics should not wear out early, but in fact they do sometimes and that is the first thing a podiatrist looks for (even my bad ones!) because it is a sign that they are not fitted properly and need an adjustment. These signs of wear are supposed to be checked regularly.
I don't know what they are supposed to do once they find it starting to wear, but I do know it is important.

alan k

Rick R on 1/24/00 at 00:00 (015055)

Colleen,

I tend to trash out orthotics in a few months. I have been getting the leather & cork type and paid somewhere around $300. I think that after about 6 months I'm no better than if I bought the off the shelf cheapies. My Daughter has some great ones for track that look like they will last a long time but they are fitted to her training shoes and can't be transfered to another shoe easily. My biggest gripe about mine is the way they tend to slide up and out of position. This is almost inevitable since they act like a wedge (wide side on the inside narrow side on the outside)and slide out toward the inside. The shoes begin to conform allowing the whole mess to position too far to the instep. For many years, prior to the relief from surgery, I taped every day and used an ace bandage to keep an arch support where it needs to be. I still perform this ritual prior to any physical activity. Another beef I have with orthotics is that they formed them to my feet as they are rather than as I wish for them to be. I'm somewhat flat footed which I think is a major part of my problem to begin with. I actually build a higher and stronger arch with my more aggressive arch support approach. I'd rather have between 1/2 1nd 1/4 of an inch more height than the way the orthotics are made.

Good Luck

Rick