Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Hello? To Lee H

Posted by wendyn on 1/23/00 at 00:00 (015044)

Have not heard from you for a while...wondering how you made out with the catscan, RSD diagnosis etc....drop a line when you have a few minutes and let us know how you're doing...!!!

Re: Hello? To Lee H

Lee H on 1/24/00 at 00:00 (015054)

Hi Wendyn,

I am still here, been reading the posts but havn't been posting. I was in a sort of hopeless state for a while and I was feeling that if I couldn't help myself I was quite useless giving any advice to other.

In the last week my condition has improved dramatically. I had an IV regional Block done last week on my left foot and the change is incredible. I am having one done on the right foot this week. I had pretty much come close to hitting rock bottom, after an extremely painful Christmas I resigned my self to doing nothing but staying in and off my feet (pretty tough to do with 2 children). The block showed me there is hope. I would say the block helped by about 70% in the foot I had done, even the other one doesn't seem as bad now. There is still some pain, but it isn't enough to stop me all together. I still have the 'pressure points' in the bottom of my feet and they are sensitive to touch. I think that may still be PF.

I also have started some new medications. The drug Vioxx prooved to be very expensive (insurance would not pay for it and I paid for it out of my own pocket) and didn't help in the least bit.I now have a prescription for Elavil and I am going to start taking Neurotin this week.

I don't know how long the block will continue to work but I will keep having them done. Hopefully it will eventually put the RSD into remission and I will be able to move on. A week ago I didn't think that was possible.

That is where I am at right now. I guess it prooves that if you keep trying different things eventually something will bring some relief for at least a little while. I wish you all luck in finding that relief.

Would a block work for TTS?

Lee H

john h on 1/24/00 at 00:00 (015056)

lee: vioxx if purchased in a 90 day supply is normally less expensive at 'www.drugstore.com'. no shipping charges and overnite delivery. you can check the price online. they can also transfer your prescriptions for you. i have found some prescriptions to be half of what i would pay at wallmart.

Re: Hello? To Lee H-- What is a IV regional block?

alan k on 1/24/00 at 00:00 (015057)

That's great news Lee!

What is it?

alan k

Lynda S. on 1/24/00 at 00:00 (015059)

Hello Lee:

I'm interested in just what an IV regional block entails. How do they know where to put it? If you have had cortisone shots before and didn't work, would that mean an IV block wouldn't also?
My PCP mentioned this to me about a year ago. I am on Nortriptyline right now which along with the Birkenstocks gives me much relief, but I hate the dry mouth that goes along with it. Why did you doc think one might work?

Lee H on 1/25/00 at 00:00 (015085)

Hi Alan,
An IV regional block is a nerve block that basically puts the nerve to sleep for a while therefore slowing it done when its out of control as is the case with Regional Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD). It is done with an IV into the foot, and a turniquet above the knee then they put the same drug into the IV that they use to put people to sleep for surgery. They keep the meds below the knee with the turniquet for 30-40 minutes then release the turniquet. The foot sleeps for several hours afterwards and the nerve slows done for a little while. Sometimes it can last for a month or so but in most cases just a few days. The Drs keep doing these blocks in hope that with each one the nerve will slow down a bit longer and eventually slow down all together. I am not sure if it would work with TTS or other nerve problems but it does seem to be working with me and RSD. I understand your frustrations with the medical field. It is just recently that I have had any luck in getting them to understand just how bad my pain was and to do anything about it. As I said before I was so frustrated that I was at the point of giving up. I hope you find a Dr. that understands. Good Luck. Lee

Lee H on 1/25/00 at 00:00 (015086)

Hi Lynda, I have Regional Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) which is when the sympathetic nerve goes hay wire. This sometimes happens after an injury and in my case the injury was PF. They need to slow the nerve down so they put it to sleep with the IV regional Block. This allows the sympathetic to rest for a bit and slow down. I am not sure what other nerve problems they use this treatment with. Were you diagnosed with a nerve condition? I do not think they would use this treatment on PF. What is nortriptylene? Is that an anti-depressent?

Lee H on 1/25/00 at 00:00 (015087)

Thanks John for the info. Although I will not be taking Vioxx again I will keep it in mind for the next time my insurance doesn't give an approval. Right now I am waiting on an approval for Neurotin, this is another drug they do not pay for.

Lynda S. on 1/25/00 at 00:00 (015101)

Lee:

After two unsuccessful surgeries for PF, my podiatrist told me he saw a lot of diabetics with foot problems and when they were put on an anti-depressant such as Elavil (Amitriptyline) or Nortriptyline, their feet sometimes felt better. With nothing to lose, I agreed to try this. Well, it worked. Not totally, but it sure helps. My PCP explained that anti-depressants sometimes help with nerve problems. Sometimes our brain still interprets injuries as acute even when the acute phase has passed. It then becomes chronic. I don't understand it completely. All I know is it has helped me. He did mention something about a nerve block, said possibly I might want to see a physiologist about this which I haven't pursued as of yet. Still thinking about acupuncture.

Lee H on 1/24/00 at 00:00 (015054)

Hi Wendyn,

I am still here, been reading the posts but havn't been posting. I was in a sort of hopeless state for a while and I was feeling that if I couldn't help myself I was quite useless giving any advice to other.

In the last week my condition has improved dramatically. I had an IV regional Block done last week on my left foot and the change is incredible. I am having one done on the right foot this week. I had pretty much come close to hitting rock bottom, after an extremely painful Christmas I resigned my self to doing nothing but staying in and off my feet (pretty tough to do with 2 children). The block showed me there is hope. I would say the block helped by about 70% in the foot I had done, even the other one doesn't seem as bad now. There is still some pain, but it isn't enough to stop me all together. I still have the 'pressure points' in the bottom of my feet and they are sensitive to touch. I think that may still be PF.

I also have started some new medications. The drug Vioxx prooved to be very expensive (insurance would not pay for it and I paid for it out of my own pocket) and didn't help in the least bit.I now have a prescription for Elavil and I am going to start taking Neurotin this week.

I don't know how long the block will continue to work but I will keep having them done. Hopefully it will eventually put the RSD into remission and I will be able to move on. A week ago I didn't think that was possible.

That is where I am at right now. I guess it prooves that if you keep trying different things eventually something will bring some relief for at least a little while. I wish you all luck in finding that relief.

Would a block work for TTS?

Lee H

john h on 1/24/00 at 00:00 (015056)

lee: vioxx if purchased in a 90 day supply is normally less expensive at 'www.drugstore.com'. no shipping charges and overnite delivery. you can check the price online. they can also transfer your prescriptions for you. i have found some prescriptions to be half of what i would pay at wallmart.

alan k on 1/24/00 at 00:00 (015057)

That's great news Lee!

What is it?

alan k

Lynda S. on 1/24/00 at 00:00 (015059)

Hello Lee:

I'm interested in just what an IV regional block entails. How do they know where to put it? If you have had cortisone shots before and didn't work, would that mean an IV block wouldn't also?
My PCP mentioned this to me about a year ago. I am on Nortriptyline right now which along with the Birkenstocks gives me much relief, but I hate the dry mouth that goes along with it. Why did you doc think one might work?

Lee H on 1/25/00 at 00:00 (015085)

Hi Alan,
An IV regional block is a nerve block that basically puts the nerve to sleep for a while therefore slowing it done when its out of control as is the case with Regional Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD). It is done with an IV into the foot, and a turniquet above the knee then they put the same drug into the IV that they use to put people to sleep for surgery. They keep the meds below the knee with the turniquet for 30-40 minutes then release the turniquet. The foot sleeps for several hours afterwards and the nerve slows done for a little while. Sometimes it can last for a month or so but in most cases just a few days. The Drs keep doing these blocks in hope that with each one the nerve will slow down a bit longer and eventually slow down all together. I am not sure if it would work with TTS or other nerve problems but it does seem to be working with me and RSD. I understand your frustrations with the medical field. It is just recently that I have had any luck in getting them to understand just how bad my pain was and to do anything about it. As I said before I was so frustrated that I was at the point of giving up. I hope you find a Dr. that understands. Good Luck. Lee

Lee H on 1/25/00 at 00:00 (015086)

Hi Lynda, I have Regional Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) which is when the sympathetic nerve goes hay wire. This sometimes happens after an injury and in my case the injury was PF. They need to slow the nerve down so they put it to sleep with the IV regional Block. This allows the sympathetic to rest for a bit and slow down. I am not sure what other nerve problems they use this treatment with. Were you diagnosed with a nerve condition? I do not think they would use this treatment on PF. What is nortriptylene? Is that an anti-depressent?

Lee H on 1/25/00 at 00:00 (015087)

Thanks John for the info. Although I will not be taking Vioxx again I will keep it in mind for the next time my insurance doesn't give an approval. Right now I am waiting on an approval for Neurotin, this is another drug they do not pay for.

Lynda S. on 1/25/00 at 00:00 (015101)

Lee:

After two unsuccessful surgeries for PF, my podiatrist told me he saw a lot of diabetics with foot problems and when they were put on an anti-depressant such as Elavil (Amitriptyline) or Nortriptyline, their feet sometimes felt better. With nothing to lose, I agreed to try this. Well, it worked. Not totally, but it sure helps. My PCP explained that anti-depressants sometimes help with nerve problems. Sometimes our brain still interprets injuries as acute even when the acute phase has passed. It then becomes chronic. I don't understand it completely. All I know is it has helped me. He did mention something about a nerve block, said possibly I might want to see a physiologist about this which I haven't pursued as of yet. Still thinking about acupuncture.