Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Acupuncture...and lived to tell about it

Posted by wendyn on 1/24/00 at 00:00 (015066)

Had my first visit to the voo-doo lady with the pins today. Searched for one that looked like Brad Pitt as johnh suggested (actually more of a Mel Gibson type myself) but I will make do with the one I found (I can always shut my eyes and pretend it's Mel-in-a-kilt-from Braveheart...sigh). This one is a physiotherapist that uses acupuncture in some of her treatments. From our discussion I learned that she is using it more and more because it works so well (often in cases where nothing else seems to work).

The initial assessment took about 20 minutes, she already had my records from my regular PT. She spent some time looking at my ear, and explained that traditional Chinese medicine shows that the state of the rest of the body can often be seen by looking at the top portion of the ear. Whatever works I guess....never question anyone that's about to stick you full of pins.

I received the first series of pokes while laying on my stomach, a few in my shoulders and one behind each knee. I must say that I think a mosquito bite is much more painful than these needles. When she spun them after they were in, I could feel a tugging sensation - but I can't say that I could call it pain. A few minutes later the one behind my right knee started to bug me, it gave me some weird sensations. No idea what that means.

She came back in and asked me to flip over, I told her I couldn't because I was full of pins. She had taken them all out and I hadn't even noticed.

The next batch all went in my lower legs, from my knees down. I was really not sure about having them jabbed right in the Tarsal tunnel area (since I don't even like people touching that area), but the anticipation was worse than the poke. No discomfort at all.

When I left, my right foot was really stiff and tight - I almost didn't think I'd be able to walk to my car, and I wondered if I'd made a huge mistake. After about 45 minutes that sensation disappeared completely, and it seems to have been not bad the rest of the day. Spent some time looking for the holes in my legs at the gym, but I couldn't find any, did get a few strange looks though.

John, I never did get a chance to ask to much about the treatment itself - will try to chat more next time.

Anyone considering trying acupuncture - this is a piece of cake and certainly worth a try. Certainly don't let fear stop you. Here's hoping that it will help (I think that I am supposed to go for 6 to 8 before I decide whether or not it's helping).

ps...as a point of interest, I have had no burning in my feet or pain in my legs since my B12 shot - only the routine pain in my foot. Weird...I will be sure to discuss this with my doctor and whether or not it's possible that the shot could helped that much that fast. I find it very hard to believe, but then again I spent the morning with someone looking at my ear and sticking pins in my feet...so I guess I'll believe just about anything!!!

Re: Acupuncture...and lived to tell about it

Laurie R on 1/24/00 at 00:00 (015068)

Hi Wendyn I am so glad that everything went well for you .I guess you must try everything so you can see what works well for you.Tomarrow I am going to my podiatrist I am going to ask him again about TTS.Today I had pt and I was talking to him about TTS and he seems to think I have all the symptoms.We will see I will let you know.Laurie R

alan k on 1/25/00 at 00:00 (015071)

That sounds great Wendy.

I have two acupuncturists, one a phys rehab md which is probably like yours, and the other a chinese trained more 'mystical' type. Niether of them put anything in my stomach, or had me on my back. Maybe I'll ask whether more can be done like that.

I also had slightly expanded symptoms (that is not worse but adding on a little something-- in my case pressure in the toes), after my first two treatments. Apparently the needles I think are supposed to irritate a little and cause a healing reaction (even if you aren't aware of the irritation). I can't remember which needler said that. I find that one or two of the needles cause a dull toothache like feeling that is quite tolerable, and this was the case the last time I was treated years ago, for shingles. I know in acupressure and active release therapy or reflexology (I forget which), you are supposed to concentrate on tender points because that's where the blockage is, so if any needles feel like they are tugging that is probably good for you.

I always feel in good spirits after the acupuncture for some reason.

I was searching the web for B-12 experiences and pn and found that there were others that had instant relief from a B-12 shot, others that had gradual relief. It seems that within the medical community there is great disagreement on what is a low B-12 count. Many posters were vigourously announcing that it varies from individual to individual and that it is recognized that a low-normal count in one person is a low count in another.

They also recommended recommending to a physician that article by Dr. Snow the source for which I posted here recently. I don't know if that is something you could propose to your physician. My doctors and their staff have now identified me as 'difficult patient.'

alan k

john h on 1/26/00 at 00:00 (015126)

my accupuncturist frequently ask if i feel any pressure when she insert the needle. and she regularly inserts one just below my belly button. lately she has been leaving he needles in for about 10 minutes.

Laurie R on 1/24/00 at 00:00 (015068)

Hi Wendyn I am so glad that everything went well for you .I guess you must try everything so you can see what works well for you.Tomarrow I am going to my podiatrist I am going to ask him again about TTS.Today I had pt and I was talking to him about TTS and he seems to think I have all the symptoms.We will see I will let you know.Laurie R

alan k on 1/25/00 at 00:00 (015071)

That sounds great Wendy.

I have two acupuncturists, one a phys rehab md which is probably like yours, and the other a chinese trained more 'mystical' type. Niether of them put anything in my stomach, or had me on my back. Maybe I'll ask whether more can be done like that.

I also had slightly expanded symptoms (that is not worse but adding on a little something-- in my case pressure in the toes), after my first two treatments. Apparently the needles I think are supposed to irritate a little and cause a healing reaction (even if you aren't aware of the irritation). I can't remember which needler said that. I find that one or two of the needles cause a dull toothache like feeling that is quite tolerable, and this was the case the last time I was treated years ago, for shingles. I know in acupressure and active release therapy or reflexology (I forget which), you are supposed to concentrate on tender points because that's where the blockage is, so if any needles feel like they are tugging that is probably good for you.

I always feel in good spirits after the acupuncture for some reason.

I was searching the web for B-12 experiences and pn and found that there were others that had instant relief from a B-12 shot, others that had gradual relief. It seems that within the medical community there is great disagreement on what is a low B-12 count. Many posters were vigourously announcing that it varies from individual to individual and that it is recognized that a low-normal count in one person is a low count in another.

They also recommended recommending to a physician that article by Dr. Snow the source for which I posted here recently. I don't know if that is something you could propose to your physician. My doctors and their staff have now identified me as 'difficult patient.'

alan k

john h on 1/26/00 at 00:00 (015126)

my accupuncturist frequently ask if i feel any pressure when she insert the needle. and she regularly inserts one just below my belly button. lately she has been leaving he needles in for about 10 minutes.