Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

agent orange

Posted by alan k on 1/25/00 at 00:00 (015100)

John you might look into peripheral neuropathy as a possible cause of your condition.

I got this post off the neuropathy.org message board:

Hi Bettie Mae:
I do a great deal of advocacy work for veterans. I am certified by the Dept. of Veterans Affairs to do so.
If any soldier was in Viet Nam, he was exposed to Agent Orange. It doesn't matter whether it was Saigon, Plei Ku, etc. A few years ago, Title 38 US CFR was amended. There are seven conditions whereas a veteran can get service-connected disability compensation (and apportionments for his children) relative to Agent Orange. Peripheral Neuropathy IS one of the seven medical conditions covered along with non-Hodgkins lymphoma, Hodgkins Disease, Multiple Myeloma, Sarcoma, Prostate Cancer, etc. If the veterans 201 file or any other document can show the veteran was in Viet Nam, there is a good chance he can obtain service-connected disability comp. He would have to go to the VA for a C&P exam; He would have to be diagnosed with pn; and show the VA there is a link between the time in Viet Nam and the pn. Agent Orange and PN are not subject to the 'Presumptive Law'; therefore there are no time constraints.
Have the vet get a good advocate to help him. I would start with the County Service Officer where the veteran resides. Also, the DAV does good work as do other vet organizations. I hope this info is helpful.
Marlynd

Re: agent orange

john h on 1/26/00 at 00:00 (015125)

alan: interesting post on agent orange. i was an Air Rescue Helicopter pilot for 2 years in vietnam. i have been to areas were agent orange was used on various occasions. i would hate to think any problems i have now are related to my years in vietnam (1968-1972). i had sort of put that behind me. one of my good friends was squadron commander of the C-130 unit that dispensed this dreadful product.

Re: agent orange

john h on 1/26/00 at 00:00 (015125)

alan: interesting post on agent orange. i was an Air Rescue Helicopter pilot for 2 years in vietnam. i have been to areas were agent orange was used on various occasions. i would hate to think any problems i have now are related to my years in vietnam (1968-1972). i had sort of put that behind me. one of my good friends was squadron commander of the C-130 unit that dispensed this dreadful product.