Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Racewalking & Spinning causing pf?

Posted by Martha Y2ok on 1/25/00 at 00:00 (015106)

I have been spinning for 2 years...first noticed pain in my heels when waking with first steps in the morning way back then. Couldn't see why my heels hurt when the ball of my foot was on the petals. Now I have taken up racewaling---and had to use a treadmil for two days in a row due to weather. Suddenly my left foot has horrible heel pain. I read the heelspurs site and realize I must be experiencing pain from pf. I teach spinning now.Any advice on how to help myself get better before getting worse while continuing to teach spinning 3-4 days per week and race walk 3 + times a week? Racewalking is unique because technique calls for landing on ones heel. Please help me before this gets worse. Thanks

Re: Racewalking & Spinning causing pf?

alan k on 1/26/00 at 00:00 (015118)

Unfortunately, as you will soon hear from others, you have got to take a break immediately before you develop a long-term, possibly life-long. disability, and can't go shopping or take care of yourself.

Get yourself to a podiatrist immediately. Do the conservative treatments: rest, rest, rest, icing and heat, stretching, strengthening (after at least a brief period of radical rest), nightsplints, custom orthotics, anti-inflammatories, self or other message, and positive attitude.

I realize what I am saying is not going to help much at first with the attitude, but I feel people do not realize soon enough how dangerous this condition is and how easily treatable it is if you take it seriously. There is a lot to gain and a lot to lose.

Stop using the treadmill, stop the racewalking (others have had bad results with this-- seems to be worse than running), and take a break from your job. If you pursue the treatment you might be able to return to your job. If you don't, you might lose it and a lot else besides.

While you are resting, read Scott's 'book' thoroughly, and read through the message board, browsing back at least a couple months.

take care, alan k

Susan S on 1/26/00 at 00:00 (015122)

I just wanted to reinforce weverything alan said. The 'extreme rest' was the hardest pill to swallow but it really does help spped relief.

Also told my poditrist about this site. He actually called me back at work Monday to tell me that he had checked it out over the weekend and was quite impressed! Obviously he disagreed with some of the comments posted (who doesn't) but said overall the information here is accurate. Scott has obviously done his research well!

Nancy S. on 1/26/00 at 00:00 (015131)

Martha, you do need to start taking care of your feet Now, and give them top priority. I wasted months before seeing a doctor, and then spent more months reinjuring my feet daily because the doctor neglected to tell me to stay off them and start various home treatments such as stretching, getting the right shoes with the right support, etc. I kept trying to walk and work through the pain for 8 months, and there is no doubt that I have prolonged and worsened my condition because of it. I am now stretching, wearing a night splint, sometmes wearing my orthotics but more often my Birkenstocks because they feel better, and most important of all, I am RESTING. I walk with a cane from room to room in the house, and I go out on short errands, but for the time being I am not doing much more than that -- no standing around, no activities that cause me any foot pain. You must find a way to take a break and give your feet and healing them top priority. This is a hard adjustment at first, but it's the only route to healing. Good luck to you -- Nancy S.

Bob G. on 1/27/00 at 00:00 (015145)

Martha, if it hurts, then stop. You will recover sooner if you don't cause worse injury - pain means stop!

Be sure to do some research (such as this site) and think about what you're doing. Rest, study, patience and pay attention.

I hate the patience part (grrrr!).

HankC on 1/27/00 at 00:00 (015152)

Martha,
I had to stop spinning after incurring plantar fasciitis. I was
spinning on a regular basis to help improve my biking for triathlons
(especially good in the winter). I had stopped running at first but
didn't realize how much spinning also aggravated the condition.
I'm 43, however, and thus don't heal as
quickly as the young pups. Right now I'm wearing a walking cast
(pneumatic aircast) in hopes that it will allow the inflammation to
completely go away. My workouts consist of alternating swimming with
weightlifting. Best of luck and keep your chin up. I suspect some
research scientist could make a bundle of money if a common cure
could be found for PF. There's a heck of a lot of people who have it.
best, Hank C.

Martha Y2ok on 1/28/00 at 00:00 (015237)

I am not even sure it is pf that I am experiencing. Yes=my first symptom was pain with my first few steps in the morning. Then this went away and has returned several times. Yet the REST and giving up activities I enjoy and need (for weight control etc) seems so EXTREEM. Yet several of you have told me the same thing. This is so new to me and does seem so harsh. Please help me understand. Thanks

Nancy S. on 1/29/00 at 00:00 (015243)

Martha, I know it seems harsh, but it's usually only temporary, and there are exercise alternatives to the racewalking which sounds about as hard on the heels as one can get (e.g., swimming; floor aerobics off your feet). It sounds like you have not been diagnosed, I must have missed that in your first post. That of course should be your very next step -- get an appointment with either a very good podiatrist or an ortho. doc. and have yourself diagnosed so that a good treatment plan can be instituted. Also, I recommend that you read Scott's 'Pf Book' (the 20- or 25-page document) thoroughly, which I think will help you understand the need for rest as well as a variety of other things you can be doing at home to help yourself. Best of luck to you! -- Nancy S.

wendyn on 1/29/00 at 00:00 (015245)

The resting seems extreme unless you're looking at this from a perspective of someone who is now able to do next to nothing on her feet. Although my problems are more nerve related than PF - the fundamental advice is the same.

I know how completely stressed I was that I couldn't participate in my 4 to 6 times a week aerobics/step classes along with walking and jogging. I ignored the advice to rest for a long time. Now, I cannot walk at all without pain. I would like to be able to walk farther than a block or two one day without pain - I no longer care about the sports anymore. The idea of jogging now is so unrealistic that I can't even daydream about it.

Believe me, if you take it easy now - it will not hurt you or make your condition worse. If you 'push through the pain' as many of us have done - there is a real potential that you could be making yourself much much worse.

Make sure you see a good doctor for a full exam. There are many conditions (some systemic) that can cause pain that begins in the feet. They can't be treated by ice and rest, and you run the risk of overlooking early warning signs of something significant if you're not checked out properly. There aren't home test kits yet for things like diabetes and lupus - and you can't self-diagnose them.

But, despite the conditions of many of us here - it is more than likely that you have a case of PF that will respond in time to conservative treatments. Please don't panic and believe that you are destined for a life of sore feet and limitations - most people fully recover from PF and other foot injuries, just make sure you listen to your bod and use common sense.

Best wishes.

alan k on 1/26/00 at 00:00 (015118)

Unfortunately, as you will soon hear from others, you have got to take a break immediately before you develop a long-term, possibly life-long. disability, and can't go shopping or take care of yourself.

Get yourself to a podiatrist immediately. Do the conservative treatments: rest, rest, rest, icing and heat, stretching, strengthening (after at least a brief period of radical rest), nightsplints, custom orthotics, anti-inflammatories, self or other message, and positive attitude.

I realize what I am saying is not going to help much at first with the attitude, but I feel people do not realize soon enough how dangerous this condition is and how easily treatable it is if you take it seriously. There is a lot to gain and a lot to lose.

Stop using the treadmill, stop the racewalking (others have had bad results with this-- seems to be worse than running), and take a break from your job. If you pursue the treatment you might be able to return to your job. If you don't, you might lose it and a lot else besides.

While you are resting, read Scott's 'book' thoroughly, and read through the message board, browsing back at least a couple months.

take care, alan k

Susan S on 1/26/00 at 00:00 (015122)

I just wanted to reinforce weverything alan said. The 'extreme rest' was the hardest pill to swallow but it really does help spped relief.

Also told my poditrist about this site. He actually called me back at work Monday to tell me that he had checked it out over the weekend and was quite impressed! Obviously he disagreed with some of the comments posted (who doesn't) but said overall the information here is accurate. Scott has obviously done his research well!

Nancy S. on 1/26/00 at 00:00 (015131)

Martha, you do need to start taking care of your feet Now, and give them top priority. I wasted months before seeing a doctor, and then spent more months reinjuring my feet daily because the doctor neglected to tell me to stay off them and start various home treatments such as stretching, getting the right shoes with the right support, etc. I kept trying to walk and work through the pain for 8 months, and there is no doubt that I have prolonged and worsened my condition because of it. I am now stretching, wearing a night splint, sometmes wearing my orthotics but more often my Birkenstocks because they feel better, and most important of all, I am RESTING. I walk with a cane from room to room in the house, and I go out on short errands, but for the time being I am not doing much more than that -- no standing around, no activities that cause me any foot pain. You must find a way to take a break and give your feet and healing them top priority. This is a hard adjustment at first, but it's the only route to healing. Good luck to you -- Nancy S.

Bob G. on 1/27/00 at 00:00 (015145)

Martha, if it hurts, then stop. You will recover sooner if you don't cause worse injury - pain means stop!

Be sure to do some research (such as this site) and think about what you're doing. Rest, study, patience and pay attention.

I hate the patience part (grrrr!).

HankC on 1/27/00 at 00:00 (015152)

Martha,
I had to stop spinning after incurring plantar fasciitis. I was
spinning on a regular basis to help improve my biking for triathlons
(especially good in the winter). I had stopped running at first but
didn't realize how much spinning also aggravated the condition.
I'm 43, however, and thus don't heal as
quickly as the young pups. Right now I'm wearing a walking cast
(pneumatic aircast) in hopes that it will allow the inflammation to
completely go away. My workouts consist of alternating swimming with
weightlifting. Best of luck and keep your chin up. I suspect some
research scientist could make a bundle of money if a common cure
could be found for PF. There's a heck of a lot of people who have it.
best, Hank C.

Martha Y2ok on 1/28/00 at 00:00 (015237)

I am not even sure it is pf that I am experiencing. Yes=my first symptom was pain with my first few steps in the morning. Then this went away and has returned several times. Yet the REST and giving up activities I enjoy and need (for weight control etc) seems so EXTREEM. Yet several of you have told me the same thing. This is so new to me and does seem so harsh. Please help me understand. Thanks

Nancy S. on 1/29/00 at 00:00 (015243)

Martha, I know it seems harsh, but it's usually only temporary, and there are exercise alternatives to the racewalking which sounds about as hard on the heels as one can get (e.g., swimming; floor aerobics off your feet). It sounds like you have not been diagnosed, I must have missed that in your first post. That of course should be your very next step -- get an appointment with either a very good podiatrist or an ortho. doc. and have yourself diagnosed so that a good treatment plan can be instituted. Also, I recommend that you read Scott's 'Pf Book' (the 20- or 25-page document) thoroughly, which I think will help you understand the need for rest as well as a variety of other things you can be doing at home to help yourself. Best of luck to you! -- Nancy S.

wendyn on 1/29/00 at 00:00 (015245)

The resting seems extreme unless you're looking at this from a perspective of someone who is now able to do next to nothing on her feet. Although my problems are more nerve related than PF - the fundamental advice is the same.

I know how completely stressed I was that I couldn't participate in my 4 to 6 times a week aerobics/step classes along with walking and jogging. I ignored the advice to rest for a long time. Now, I cannot walk at all without pain. I would like to be able to walk farther than a block or two one day without pain - I no longer care about the sports anymore. The idea of jogging now is so unrealistic that I can't even daydream about it.

Believe me, if you take it easy now - it will not hurt you or make your condition worse. If you 'push through the pain' as many of us have done - there is a real potential that you could be making yourself much much worse.

Make sure you see a good doctor for a full exam. There are many conditions (some systemic) that can cause pain that begins in the feet. They can't be treated by ice and rest, and you run the risk of overlooking early warning signs of something significant if you're not checked out properly. There aren't home test kits yet for things like diabetes and lupus - and you can't self-diagnose them.

But, despite the conditions of many of us here - it is more than likely that you have a case of PF that will respond in time to conservative treatments. Please don't panic and believe that you are destined for a life of sore feet and limitations - most people fully recover from PF and other foot injuries, just make sure you listen to your bod and use common sense.

Best wishes.