Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

5 Days Pain-free

Posted by Bob G. on 1/29/00 at 00:00 (015241)

I am happy to report a personal record five days without pain! This is what is working for me: rest, not over-stretching; very gentle stretching, wall stretching both straight and bent-leg methods - same with TheFootFlex - this tool works well for me. Ice after use, after walking to the store, after some stretching sessions. The NightSplint is a major player in eliminating morning pain (I even put my heel lift in the NightSplint for added comfort!) No more barefooting; I wear a heel lift inside my shoes. Plenty of Vitamin C spread out over the day. Ibuprophen twice a day is a big help to me. Plenty of rest; I have adjusted many aspects of my daily routine being careful so not to stess my PF. I am so happy at this point. Don't give up; keep looking for what works for you!

Re: 5 Days Pain-free

Nancy S. on 1/29/00 at 00:00 (015244)

Bob, I'm happy you reported it too! It's very nice to hear when a combination of conservative treatments seems to be helping. I'm doing several of those things myself and am also experiencing less pain than when i first found this board. Congratulations! -- Nancy S.

Re: 5 Days Pain-free/ Reply

Elise M. on 1/29/00 at 00:00 (015266)

Congrats on feeling better. I too, have had several days into a couple of weeks now of more relief than I've experienced since last June. I have been stretching faithfully before rising, never go barefoot, take my vitamins, continue to eliminate yeast producers from my diet, rest more than before, take otc painkillers only when necessary. The inside of my shoe looks like......well.....I'm not sure what it looks like now. I have arch supports and gel heel pads in there. Makes me look taller and that's a bonus (I'm only 5'2) but I get more relief from that combination than I've gotten from anything else. I never ice my feet, I use only heat for relief when needed. I haven't been posting much in here anymore, but I still visit daily to see the progress of others and to view the treatments. I am happy for you that you've hit a stretch of pain-free days. Whatever you're doing, keep at it...Continued wellness to you!!!Elise

Bob G. on 1/29/00 at 00:00 (015281)

Thank you, Elise, for your input! I use arch supports in addition to the heel lifts inside my shoes when I am in pain - that seems to bring immediate relief. But I sometimes find that I need to remove the arch supports to gain relief, so with no pain I am not using the arch supports (different strokes for different folks).
My experience with icing has been positive short & long-term. I don't like to ice, but the benefits are worth it. I am wondering if you have much experience icing, and if so, what do you find? I don't like icing or losing sleep with the NightSplint, but they help my PF so I 'grin & bear it'.
Good luck to us all!

Re: 5 Days Pain-free/ Reply to the reply

Elise M. on 1/30/00 at 00:00 (015289)

Hi Bob,
I've lots of experience icing, not just my feet but my shoulders after vigorous weight lifting episodes and not to long ago, surgery. As far as icing my feet, all it did was make me tighten up more and did nothing for the pain. I gain much more relief from soaking them in hot water (usually as hot as I can stand it) If I'm crippled before soaking, 95% of the time, I can get out of the soak, put on my shoes and walk without pain or problem. Hope you are doing well and continued wellness to you !!! ...............Elise

Re: 5 Days Pain-free

Nancy S. on 1/29/00 at 00:00 (015244)

Bob, I'm happy you reported it too! It's very nice to hear when a combination of conservative treatments seems to be helping. I'm doing several of those things myself and am also experiencing less pain than when i first found this board. Congratulations! -- Nancy S.

Elise M. on 1/29/00 at 00:00 (015266)

Congrats on feeling better. I too, have had several days into a couple of weeks now of more relief than I've experienced since last June. I have been stretching faithfully before rising, never go barefoot, take my vitamins, continue to eliminate yeast producers from my diet, rest more than before, take otc painkillers only when necessary. The inside of my shoe looks like......well.....I'm not sure what it looks like now. I have arch supports and gel heel pads in there. Makes me look taller and that's a bonus (I'm only 5'2) but I get more relief from that combination than I've gotten from anything else. I never ice my feet, I use only heat for relief when needed. I haven't been posting much in here anymore, but I still visit daily to see the progress of others and to view the treatments. I am happy for you that you've hit a stretch of pain-free days. Whatever you're doing, keep at it...Continued wellness to you!!!Elise

Bob G. on 1/29/00 at 00:00 (015281)

Thank you, Elise, for your input! I use arch supports in addition to the heel lifts inside my shoes when I am in pain - that seems to bring immediate relief. But I sometimes find that I need to remove the arch supports to gain relief, so with no pain I am not using the arch supports (different strokes for different folks).
My experience with icing has been positive short & long-term. I don't like to ice, but the benefits are worth it. I am wondering if you have much experience icing, and if so, what do you find? I don't like icing or losing sleep with the NightSplint, but they help my PF so I 'grin & bear it'.
Good luck to us all!

Re: 5 Days Pain-free/ Reply to the reply

Elise M. on 1/30/00 at 00:00 (015289)

Hi Bob,
I've lots of experience icing, not just my feet but my shoulders after vigorous weight lifting episodes and not to long ago, surgery. As far as icing my feet, all it did was make me tighten up more and did nothing for the pain. I gain much more relief from soaking them in hot water (usually as hot as I can stand it) If I'm crippled before soaking, 95% of the time, I can get out of the soak, put on my shoes and walk without pain or problem. Hope you are doing well and continued wellness to you !!! ...............Elise