Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Too much responding to meaningless or provoking messages?

Posted by Nancy S. on 1/29/00 at 00:00 (015264)

Remember Scott's post after a mean message from Maggie O?
He said, 'Don't respond to Maggie.' He's right. It only encourages people who are probably just looking for attention. If a lie gets posted, of course that needs correcting. Otherwise, I think we should all go along as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened. If we don't, we contribute to the wasting of space on Scott's board.
--Nancy S.

Re: Too much responding to meaningless or provoking messages?

wendyn on 1/29/00 at 00:00 (015270)

Most folks that have followed this bulletin board (or any other bulletin board) for any length of time...know that periodically folks will disagree and at times the comments may deteriorate into a type of cyber-mud-slinging-display of human nature at it's finest.

I generally don't respond or react to the inflammatory remarks...but I continue to be human and sometimes prone to the odd knee-jerk response.

It's really important to remember that this type-written form of communication contains none of the body language clues or expressions that we normally use to determine the tone of an individual's statements. You could read something that I wrote and perceive it to be derogatory and condescending, when I actually intended it to be slightly sarcastic and witty. It can be tough to convey your message in the manner that you intended to present it.

Bulletin boards and chat groups are also open to pretty much anyone. You may meet people (just like you would in a bar or at a party) that aren't particularly to your liking, and that you have no interest in talking to.

At a party, you can just nod your head and smile - and look for an excuse to move on....pick up your glass and strike up a conversation with someone that your comfortable with. You really can do pretty much the same thing here.

Re: Too much responding to meaningless or provoking messages?

wendyn on 1/29/00 at 00:00 (015270)

Most folks that have followed this bulletin board (or any other bulletin board) for any length of time...know that periodically folks will disagree and at times the comments may deteriorate into a type of cyber-mud-slinging-display of human nature at it's finest.

I generally don't respond or react to the inflammatory remarks...but I continue to be human and sometimes prone to the odd knee-jerk response.

It's really important to remember that this type-written form of communication contains none of the body language clues or expressions that we normally use to determine the tone of an individual's statements. You could read something that I wrote and perceive it to be derogatory and condescending, when I actually intended it to be slightly sarcastic and witty. It can be tough to convey your message in the manner that you intended to present it.

Bulletin boards and chat groups are also open to pretty much anyone. You may meet people (just like you would in a bar or at a party) that aren't particularly to your liking, and that you have no interest in talking to.

At a party, you can just nod your head and smile - and look for an excuse to move on....pick up your glass and strike up a conversation with someone that your comfortable with. You really can do pretty much the same thing here.