Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Yeast free vegan diet heath book?

Posted by kara M on 1/30/00 at 00:00 (015302)

Hi,
I've thought alot about giving this yeast free, no sugar diet a try, but I am vegan (I would eat dairy, but I am allergic to it) SO most of my diet has been based on carbohydrates since I gave of meat... does anyone know of any good books about yeast digestive problems that are aimed at vegitarians? Most of the ones I've seen stress eating lots of meat and that's just not an option for me! any advice would be appreciated...
Kara m

Re: Yeast free vegan diet heath book?

alan k on 1/31/00 at 00:00 (015312)

Please forgive me for the following reply, which is only meant as food for thought for anyone considering diet as a treatment for footpain and the question of vegetarianism. This post is not meant as the final word in the matter but only as something to stir up some critical thought and reflection.

First, keep searching, there may be something out there. You should know that a low-carb yeast free diet is next to impossible to keep as a vegan. Maybe for a couple of weeks, but then your just too limited in what you can eat.

If you really can't get past the vegan diet, you might try enduring a vegan version (make it up yourself) for a couple weeks, and then switch to a yeast-contributing avoidance diet which includes near normal carbs and just excludes the yeast-promoting foods. Low-carb is not a feasable option for vegans. You could however avoid all wheat, oats, barley, rye, and white rice and replace those carbs with vegan alternatives like buckwheat, quinoa, etc. Vegans, I assume, know all about these alternatives in the healthfood store. In addition, of course, you avoid all simple sugars and fermented foods and drinks. There is only so much tofu you can eat as a replacement for carbs. If you can't go to meat then you probably can't do a low-carb diet as life-long practice. I don't know how effective the above modified diet would be.

I would add, with all the best intentions, that they kill alot of bugs and rodents to grow the vegetables and grains that vegans eat, and the produce is carried on the backs of laborers and migrants who die at 40, broke, and the whole thing is wrapped up in our economy rife with inequalities, injustices, and suffering. There is no way to avoid it, insulate, and purify yourself from these facts so as not to worry about the killing of animals and suffering and maiming of humans done so that vegans (and others) can eat the foods they prefer.

Just something to think about-- if you need to make a diet adjustment for your health, why not do it and then take some responsibility for your implication in these awful matters (you are implicated anyway, even if you have a diet that makes it seem otherwise).

This is a health suggestion and shouldn't become the basis of a argumentative reply unless that reply is also related to the beneficial dietary or other practices in relation to footpain.

cheers, alan k

ps the argument that 'were the whole world vegetarian' rather than wasting resources on animal feed, the earth's resources would be used more efficiently, seems to be correct according to most calculations. Of course, it would also depend also on equitable distribution.

Nancy S. on 1/31/00 at 00:00 (015316)

Hi Kara -- I don't know of any books to recommend. I have only one (not vegetarian oriented), and the rest of my information I've gotten from this message board and many extensive searches on the web. I do seem to recall in my searches that I occasionally came across references to vegetarians doing the yeast-killing diet. But I couldn't begin to tell you where they were -- I spent days searching and reading through all kinds of sites. My best suggestion is to look through all the books at the bookstore, and do heavy-duty searches through the web to find sites that include recipes and might mention help for vegetarians, and you may find a way to tackle this. Good luck to you -- Nancy S.

alan k on 1/31/00 at 00:00 (015312)

Please forgive me for the following reply, which is only meant as food for thought for anyone considering diet as a treatment for footpain and the question of vegetarianism. This post is not meant as the final word in the matter but only as something to stir up some critical thought and reflection.

First, keep searching, there may be something out there. You should know that a low-carb yeast free diet is next to impossible to keep as a vegan. Maybe for a couple of weeks, but then your just too limited in what you can eat.

If you really can't get past the vegan diet, you might try enduring a vegan version (make it up yourself) for a couple weeks, and then switch to a yeast-contributing avoidance diet which includes near normal carbs and just excludes the yeast-promoting foods. Low-carb is not a feasable option for vegans. You could however avoid all wheat, oats, barley, rye, and white rice and replace those carbs with vegan alternatives like buckwheat, quinoa, etc. Vegans, I assume, know all about these alternatives in the healthfood store. In addition, of course, you avoid all simple sugars and fermented foods and drinks. There is only so much tofu you can eat as a replacement for carbs. If you can't go to meat then you probably can't do a low-carb diet as life-long practice. I don't know how effective the above modified diet would be.

I would add, with all the best intentions, that they kill alot of bugs and rodents to grow the vegetables and grains that vegans eat, and the produce is carried on the backs of laborers and migrants who die at 40, broke, and the whole thing is wrapped up in our economy rife with inequalities, injustices, and suffering. There is no way to avoid it, insulate, and purify yourself from these facts so as not to worry about the killing of animals and suffering and maiming of humans done so that vegans (and others) can eat the foods they prefer.

Just something to think about-- if you need to make a diet adjustment for your health, why not do it and then take some responsibility for your implication in these awful matters (you are implicated anyway, even if you have a diet that makes it seem otherwise).

This is a health suggestion and shouldn't become the basis of a argumentative reply unless that reply is also related to the beneficial dietary or other practices in relation to footpain.

cheers, alan k

ps the argument that 'were the whole world vegetarian' rather than wasting resources on animal feed, the earth's resources would be used more efficiently, seems to be correct according to most calculations. Of course, it would also depend also on equitable distribution.

Nancy S. on 1/31/00 at 00:00 (015316)

Hi Kara -- I don't know of any books to recommend. I have only one (not vegetarian oriented), and the rest of my information I've gotten from this message board and many extensive searches on the web. I do seem to recall in my searches that I occasionally came across references to vegetarians doing the yeast-killing diet. But I couldn't begin to tell you where they were -- I spent days searching and reading through all kinds of sites. My best suggestion is to look through all the books at the bookstore, and do heavy-duty searches through the web to find sites that include recipes and might mention help for vegetarians, and you may find a way to tackle this. Good luck to you -- Nancy S.