Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Low carb diets in general

Posted by wendyn on 1/31/00 at 00:00 (015317)

I've read the info and opinions here on the low carb/yeast killing diets - but I haven't seriously considered giving it a shot because I'm not sure it would be right for me. Everyone always talks about how much weight you lose on this type of diet - what happens if you're a person that should not be losing weight? Is there any way to approach this diet and not lose any weight?

Also, (and forgive me if I'm not correct in any assumptions on this because I'm not terribly informed on exactly how this diet works) how do you get enough fibre on a low carb diet? I've always tried to eat lots of whole grains, vegggies and fruit - but I think those would be restricted...?

Just as a side point...I've been trying to read up on B12 and apparently it's easier to become deficient in that vitamin if you are a vegan. B12 is only found in animal products. I would think that anyone who is a vegan, that is experiencing unexplained foot pain/numbness/tingling - should ask their doctor if a blood test for B12 may be in order.

Re: Low carb diets in general

alan k on 1/31/00 at 00:00 (015320)

Wendy, some people don't lose any weight because the low-carb isn't relevant to their metabolism. You could try it and see if you lose too much. Obviously, as you know by eating a lot of meat you would not be harming your B-12, just the opposite, so that might be good.
For fiber you can and should eat lots and lots of vegetables (except maybe carrots, peas, and zuchini-- too many sugars), and then take psyillium fiber husk for additional fiber. It is very important in the yeast killing diet to get lots of fiber moving through your intestines. Women of course also need calcium supplementation.

alan k

Nancy S. on 1/31/00 at 00:00 (015321)

Yes, Wendy, the amount of vegetables one can (and should) eat on this diet gives you plenty of fiber. I'm eating more fiber than I ever did before in my life, and believe me, I needed it! Fruits are discouraged for 1-3 months because of sugars they contain, but after that moderate amounts should be fine.
Not everyone loses weight on this diet. Your choice of proteins can make a big difference in whether or not you lose weight. Also, many versions of the diet say that butter is okay. I believe some people on the board who are or have been on low-carb or yeast-killing diets say they did not lose weight (I think Robin may be one). --Nancy S.

alan k on 1/31/00 at 00:00 (015320)

Wendy, some people don't lose any weight because the low-carb isn't relevant to their metabolism. You could try it and see if you lose too much. Obviously, as you know by eating a lot of meat you would not be harming your B-12, just the opposite, so that might be good.
For fiber you can and should eat lots and lots of vegetables (except maybe carrots, peas, and zuchini-- too many sugars), and then take psyillium fiber husk for additional fiber. It is very important in the yeast killing diet to get lots of fiber moving through your intestines. Women of course also need calcium supplementation.

alan k

Nancy S. on 1/31/00 at 00:00 (015321)

Yes, Wendy, the amount of vegetables one can (and should) eat on this diet gives you plenty of fiber. I'm eating more fiber than I ever did before in my life, and believe me, I needed it! Fruits are discouraged for 1-3 months because of sugars they contain, but after that moderate amounts should be fine.
Not everyone loses weight on this diet. Your choice of proteins can make a big difference in whether or not you lose weight. Also, many versions of the diet say that butter is okay. I believe some people on the board who are or have been on low-carb or yeast-killing diets say they did not lose weight (I think Robin may be one). --Nancy S.