Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: Try not to despair

Posted by Robin B. on 2/01/00 at 00:00 (015348)

Wendy, you have been such a spark of enthusiasm on this board. I'm sorry to hear that you hit a low point, but at the same time, it's totally understandable.

I can definitely empathize. I have spent many hours crying -- in part because of the pain, and in part because I was afraid I would never see an improvement. Unlike some people who have pain when they walk or pain when they stand, my pain was 24-hour pain -- sitting down, lying down, it was all the same to me.

I hate to say it but -- crying is a good emotional outlet. It doesn't make you bitter the way some people become, and it doesn't make you overwhelmingly fatalistic either. It just helps to get the frustration out. And it helps in dealing with the fear, too. Because the fear is almost as crippling as the PF itself.

If there is proof that the 'impossible' can happen -- I may be a part of it. I just came in from a 2-mile walk -- and I pretty much gave up walking (and standing) entirely in the summer of 1998. From Xmas on, I have been able to do about a mile, or a mile and a half, at a time. Today was my first day doing two miles. Truth is -- I am icing my feet right now. I continue to stay on this board because my PF is far from cured, but I am so much better than I was in November 1998 when I first found this board. I hate to say this, but if I never improve more than I have to now, it will be okay. Much of my life has returned to normal and I am ever so grateful.

You WILL find the right combination of treatments, Wendy. Just keep trying different approaches and give them long enough to see if they have an impact. Eventually some combination will work for you -- and one day you will start to see improvement -- and you will be thrilled to pieces. I hope it happens soon for you.