Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I have been diagnosed with PF and Heal Pad Syndrome Help Please

Posted by Annal on 2/01/00 at 00:00 (015355)

I have been diagnosed with PF and Heal Pad syndrome and am currently getting used to an insert which raises my foot(due to one leg being 1' shorter than the other) and cushions the foot. I am still suffering a lot of pain which is getting me down. After reading up on PF I am not sure that this is the whole of my problem. I do not have the classic morning pain and walking worsens rather than reduces pain. However after sitting for long periods the pain does come back. My rhumatologist is referring me to a podietrist who I have yet to see. The whole thing is getting me down. I find it hard to walk anywhere and really want a solution or help with the problem Any suggestions greatfully recieved.
Thanks
Anna

Re: I have been diagnosed with PF and Heal Pad Syndrome Help Please

VickiJ on 2/01/00 at 00:00 (015358)

Everyone here knows your frustration and discouragement...one of my first bits of advice is to do something really wonderful for yourself...something where you feel pampered...like a massage or steam bath...something where you can 'feel good in your body' even if it's only for a short time....and to do this periodically. Did your dr x ray your feet or do the 'thumb pressure' test on your heel? YOu need an accurate diagnosis first off.

When you say that you've readup on PF I am assuming that you have read Scott's book (link at the top of the message board)If not check it out....there's tons of valuable info there. Doing the 'big toe' stretch he describes, before I try to stand up, helps tremendously with that first step. My sister has one leg shorther than the other and it took a while (couple of months) for her inserts to give her some relief. Have you had your inserts long? Discouragement is the worst enemy of healing...which is why I strongly suggest doing something 'good' for yourself as soon as you can...sometimes for me simply getting a gentle foot rub from a loved one who is sad with me keeps me from despair. Good Luck!

BJC on 2/01/00 at 00:00 (015368)

I have had PF for 19 months, with symptoms similar to yours. Not a lot of pain in the morning, progressing in the afternoon and evening. Shopping was a nightmare! I was fortunate to find a knowledgeable podiatist who recommended the following treatments: Heat and ice (ice did not work for me most of the time, but my heating pad is my best friend); cortisone shots (2), which did not work; taping - a true blessing, exercise and stretching (minimal help); orthotics. Custom orthotics were the best, and required no time to break in for me. Another device I used was an ankle brace, the ace bandage-type that is sold in drugstores. This mimicked the taping, and I felt good while wearing it. Xrays revealed no bone spur. Since I was getting progressively worse, I had surgery (endoscopic) 2 weeks ago, which revealed a thickened fascia. The dr. and I are both extremely pleased with the post-op recovery, and are confident of a full recovery. I have minimal discomfort in tennis shoes right now, no swelling, and can full extend my toes without difficulty. He is not recommending PT, which I concur with. As an Occupational Therapist, my course of treatment seems reasonable and logical to me, and has worked in my case. As you will read on this board, there are many treatments available, and there does not seem to be any one which works in all cases. There are some which do not seem logical to me, but if they work... Good luck, I hope you find some relief!

SusanG on 2/01/00 at 00:00 (015377)

I know that when I first got my orthodics, my pain did not decrease immediately. My inserts totally changed that way I placed my feet as I walked, and it took my entire body a while to adjust. I totally agree with Vicki about doing something good for yourself. You have to keep your positive attitude with anything like this. Good luck.

Marti C on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015404)

HI, Anna
I know how you are feeling. You hurt,cant stand up long, and no one can see your injured pf. You, feel like they think you are doing it for attention.Ive been dealing with this for 3 years and my family altho, supportive didnt know what to do for me.
Until I came to this board I couldnt stand up for any longer than 30mins and that was pushing it. I can now shop and clean house and take care of my children without being in tears. I still have to rest in betwween doing things.
The things that helped me,REST,ice,massage, Pancreatin and I believe one of the most important, Birkenstock sandals!
Coming to this site everyday, for awhile was my emotional support which is just as important!
Did you say you were 19? You, have soo much to do yet and hopefully it will be pain free. Dont push your self when you hurt and keep us posted.
Thanks. Marti

VickiJ on 2/01/00 at 00:00 (015358)

Everyone here knows your frustration and discouragement...one of my first bits of advice is to do something really wonderful for yourself...something where you feel pampered...like a massage or steam bath...something where you can 'feel good in your body' even if it's only for a short time....and to do this periodically. Did your dr x ray your feet or do the 'thumb pressure' test on your heel? YOu need an accurate diagnosis first off.

When you say that you've readup on PF I am assuming that you have read Scott's book (link at the top of the message board)If not check it out....there's tons of valuable info there. Doing the 'big toe' stretch he describes, before I try to stand up, helps tremendously with that first step. My sister has one leg shorther than the other and it took a while (couple of months) for her inserts to give her some relief. Have you had your inserts long? Discouragement is the worst enemy of healing...which is why I strongly suggest doing something 'good' for yourself as soon as you can...sometimes for me simply getting a gentle foot rub from a loved one who is sad with me keeps me from despair. Good Luck!

BJC on 2/01/00 at 00:00 (015368)

I have had PF for 19 months, with symptoms similar to yours. Not a lot of pain in the morning, progressing in the afternoon and evening. Shopping was a nightmare! I was fortunate to find a knowledgeable podiatist who recommended the following treatments: Heat and ice (ice did not work for me most of the time, but my heating pad is my best friend); cortisone shots (2), which did not work; taping - a true blessing, exercise and stretching (minimal help); orthotics. Custom orthotics were the best, and required no time to break in for me. Another device I used was an ankle brace, the ace bandage-type that is sold in drugstores. This mimicked the taping, and I felt good while wearing it. Xrays revealed no bone spur. Since I was getting progressively worse, I had surgery (endoscopic) 2 weeks ago, which revealed a thickened fascia. The dr. and I are both extremely pleased with the post-op recovery, and are confident of a full recovery. I have minimal discomfort in tennis shoes right now, no swelling, and can full extend my toes without difficulty. He is not recommending PT, which I concur with. As an Occupational Therapist, my course of treatment seems reasonable and logical to me, and has worked in my case. As you will read on this board, there are many treatments available, and there does not seem to be any one which works in all cases. There are some which do not seem logical to me, but if they work... Good luck, I hope you find some relief!

SusanG on 2/01/00 at 00:00 (015377)

I know that when I first got my orthodics, my pain did not decrease immediately. My inserts totally changed that way I placed my feet as I walked, and it took my entire body a while to adjust. I totally agree with Vicki about doing something good for yourself. You have to keep your positive attitude with anything like this. Good luck.

Marti C on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015404)

HI, Anna
I know how you are feeling. You hurt,cant stand up long, and no one can see your injured pf. You, feel like they think you are doing it for attention.Ive been dealing with this for 3 years and my family altho, supportive didnt know what to do for me.
Until I came to this board I couldnt stand up for any longer than 30mins and that was pushing it. I can now shop and clean house and take care of my children without being in tears. I still have to rest in betwween doing things.
The things that helped me,REST,ice,massage, Pancreatin and I believe one of the most important, Birkenstock sandals!
Coming to this site everyday, for awhile was my emotional support which is just as important!
Did you say you were 19? You, have soo much to do yet and hopefully it will be pain free. Dont push your self when you hurt and keep us posted.
Thanks. Marti