Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Happy to walk again...

Posted by Bob G. on 2/01/00 at 00:00 (015382)

Hello everybody, I want to share my happiness at being able to walk without pain; took a nice short walk (wearing heel lifts) on the beach at sunset. When I got home it was gentle/moderate stretch and ice. I credit the NightSplint (wore all last night) and ibuprophen. My goal is to be jogging and ballroom dancing by summer.

For additional comfort I am wearing Thorlo socks, wearing the heel lift inside the NightSplint, and occasionally using ThatFootThing at night. I find TFT makes my foot tender and vulnerable, so I use it late in the day before night's rest.

I can feel the PF and know it's there, so I am progressing slowly and with caution. If I were to run I'd have momentary fun, but it would cause subsequent pain and set me back months. I was tempted to run with reckless abandon, but restrained the urge. This PF takes lots of patience.

If I get my foot back this time I will take better care of it and not go jogging barefoot and always stretch appropriately.

Re: Happy to walk again...Yeah!!

dang dave on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015393)

It's good to be conservative in treating your PF but don't forget to exercise your feet Too!!. I am happy to say I just did my first full day at a new work without a hint of pain (I do rigorous construction work) and even did my usual 1.8 mile walk-jog, run and snowshoe after work.

One word of advice for everyone is to simply get enough sleep which without I feel was a major cause of my continuing foot pain. The night splint (or my simple stretch bandage routine like a Strassburg sock) is also a good thing... but now I'm just doing lower leg and foot stretches every morning and a foot massage too before getting off the bed.... (about 5 minutes ) get in my Birkenstock sandles for the morning routine and then off to work with custom inserts....

Still keeping in shape and using your feet in a meaningful way is necessary to be 'cured'.

also Zuckerman's right about early treatment of PF But I am not sure I'd go to the many Poditrists out there who are out to make a fast buck... better to just follow advice here and at the Runner's World site... but my only disagreement with some advice here is that Too Conservative of treatment (like casts, no walking at all, avoidance of all exercise...) is bad for most of us.

gentle reconditioning and also some barefoot is okay IMO. Now I am enthused enough to go do some 'toe ups' on the stairs so to further strengthen my feet. Strength conditioning after pain and inflammation is gone IMO is the next step to a 'cure' for PF.

Re: Happy to walk again... conservative for a reason

Marti C on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015403)

dave,
I will agree, excercise is important for over all well-being.What about those who cant make it from the bed to the bathroom without tears? Ive been one of those people and yes, wishing I could excercise but praying more for just being able to walk around the house a little without such pain.

Some, of the treatments here may seem too conservative, but when most come here for the first time that is exactely what they need.
Alot, of us have made this condition worse because we pushed during the pain when we should have been resting.

I think, its great you are able to excercise but with some it will be a slower, conservative process.
Thanks, Marti

Re: Happy to walk again...Yeah!! To Dave

Laurie R on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015408)

Hi Dave,Not to get out of line with you but,I disagree with what you said abot conservative treatment I am in a walking cast for the second time for PF.The reason is because when I felted better pain wise I thought I was cured so I did lots of walking and I wented backed to work 10 hours a night on my feet no brakes so now I am paying for it I now have been off work for 4 months do to this.My Podiatrist never told me to stay off my feet he said let your pain be your guide.The walking cast has helped me the most.......Have a good day
Laurie R

Zuckerman (Zucky) on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015415)

I don't see how you can stretch or make the pf stronger with using the edge of stairs. I like to only use the wall. I have a hard time cuttting the PF in surgery. Work on the lower leg muscles, the back
Achilles, peroneal, Make sure that you only feel the pulling at the junction of the achilles tendon and the Gastronemius muscle. You can feet this point very easy. I find that even after all of the surgery, ESWT etc whatever. The patient has such weak leg muscles that they still limp for a time period. Sometimes I have to send them to Physical therapy. The point don't forget about the leg muscle just because the foot hurt. Learn to stretch as much as you can for the rest of your life

Zuckerman on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015417)

Go to the YMCA and start swimming every day . This will allow you to live again The water antigravity etc effect may move you in the right direction

dang dave on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015393)

It's good to be conservative in treating your PF but don't forget to exercise your feet Too!!. I am happy to say I just did my first full day at a new work without a hint of pain (I do rigorous construction work) and even did my usual 1.8 mile walk-jog, run and snowshoe after work.

One word of advice for everyone is to simply get enough sleep which without I feel was a major cause of my continuing foot pain. The night splint (or my simple stretch bandage routine like a Strassburg sock) is also a good thing... but now I'm just doing lower leg and foot stretches every morning and a foot massage too before getting off the bed.... (about 5 minutes ) get in my Birkenstock sandles for the morning routine and then off to work with custom inserts....

Still keeping in shape and using your feet in a meaningful way is necessary to be 'cured'.

also Zuckerman's right about early treatment of PF But I am not sure I'd go to the many Poditrists out there who are out to make a fast buck... better to just follow advice here and at the Runner's World site... but my only disagreement with some advice here is that Too Conservative of treatment (like casts, no walking at all, avoidance of all exercise...) is bad for most of us.

gentle reconditioning and also some barefoot is okay IMO. Now I am enthused enough to go do some 'toe ups' on the stairs so to further strengthen my feet. Strength conditioning after pain and inflammation is gone IMO is the next step to a 'cure' for PF.

Marti C on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015403)

dave,
I will agree, excercise is important for over all well-being.What about those who cant make it from the bed to the bathroom without tears? Ive been one of those people and yes, wishing I could excercise but praying more for just being able to walk around the house a little without such pain.

Some, of the treatments here may seem too conservative, but when most come here for the first time that is exactely what they need.
Alot, of us have made this condition worse because we pushed during the pain when we should have been resting.

I think, its great you are able to excercise but with some it will be a slower, conservative process.
Thanks, Marti

Re: Happy to walk again...Yeah!! To Dave

Laurie R on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015408)

Hi Dave,Not to get out of line with you but,I disagree with what you said abot conservative treatment I am in a walking cast for the second time for PF.The reason is because when I felted better pain wise I thought I was cured so I did lots of walking and I wented backed to work 10 hours a night on my feet no brakes so now I am paying for it I now have been off work for 4 months do to this.My Podiatrist never told me to stay off my feet he said let your pain be your guide.The walking cast has helped me the most.......Have a good day
Laurie R

Zuckerman (Zucky) on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015415)

I don't see how you can stretch or make the pf stronger with using the edge of stairs. I like to only use the wall. I have a hard time cuttting the PF in surgery. Work on the lower leg muscles, the back
Achilles, peroneal, Make sure that you only feel the pulling at the junction of the achilles tendon and the Gastronemius muscle. You can feet this point very easy. I find that even after all of the surgery, ESWT etc whatever. The patient has such weak leg muscles that they still limp for a time period. Sometimes I have to send them to Physical therapy. The point don't forget about the leg muscle just because the foot hurt. Learn to stretch as much as you can for the rest of your life

Zuckerman on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015417)

Go to the YMCA and start swimming every day . This will allow you to live again The water antigravity etc effect may move you in the right direction