Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Flat feet =PF ?

Posted by PatA on 2/01/00 at 00:00 (015384)

I'd like just a survey to find how many people have PF that
are flatfooted OR have normal to high arch.
Let me know please. I'm currently researching this PF thing for
myself (i'm flatfooted by the way, the majority?)
Thanks
ps-I'll probably post later asking more questions...such as orthotics, birks, etc.

Re: Flat feet =PF ?

SusanG on 2/01/00 at 00:00 (015390)

I have flat feet, and after getting used to my orthodics and after physical therapy I am pain free from the PF, I also have had major ankle problems over the years which contributed to the PF

Rick R on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015394)

Pat,

Mine are pretty darned flat. If I hadn't worn some type of arch support since childhood I suspect they would be completely flat. Did you ever wonder why the army woundn't take flat footed men into the infantry? What was the mode of failure or difficulty supposed to be? Good question!

Rick

caryne on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015401)

I definitely have flat feet and bad heel pain

Marti C on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015402)

I have a very high arch and Ive had PF for 3 years. I think, my husband is starting to develop pf. He has very flat feet.
Marti

Re: Flat feet =PF ? / reply

Elise M. on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015407)

Hi all,
I have very high arches and a very high instep. My PF is only 9 months long and I'm having some very good weeks lately with minimal pain. I attribute this to finally finding the combination of things, arch supports, gel heel pads, stretching exercizes, rest, otc analgesics and diet/weightloss that work for me.....Feel better...Elise

Lori S on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015409)

I have a very HIGH arch and didn't find this out until about 8 years into my PF pain. Orthotics help tremendously and I wonder if, having the right support, I might have prevented the pain I've had? Growing up in the FL Keys, I hardly ever wore shoes except the open toed sandles I wore to school. Absolutely NO support. This is an interesting thread...
Lori in AZ

wendyn on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015413)

Flat feet - pretty ugly feet too as far as feet go.

Re: Flat feet =PF ? -- I have no idea

Nancy S. on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015414)

I am interested in this, and posted a while ago asking how one tells if the arch is high, normal, or flat, but I got no response. Maybe no one knows how to tell? Does a doctor have to tell you? I'd like to figure out which of these beautiful arch styles I have. Can I tell by just examining my own foot? If so, I will post result here.

Laurie R on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015419)

Hi I have very very very high arch I had a PT a while back and she said that my arches were so high that it is no wonder that I did'nt get PF earlier.Laurie R

Colleen G on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015421)

I have very flat feet and my ankles roll in a lot. I practically walk on the bone. You know the one with the bump. I don't know what it's called. I guess I'm having a senior moment.

Nicole V.R. on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015426)

Yes, I have had several doctors tell me I have high arches just by examining my feet.

Re: Flat feet =PF ? --

Martha B. on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015428)

I have high arches that flatten(roll inward)whem I walk.I was told this by a physical therapist who watches me walk barefoot.

Bob G. on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015434)

I think my feet are 'normal' :D , but I wonder what defines. Today I had a certified podiatheripist (spelling?) examine the wear pattern of my Florsheim Comfortechs (two years old). He saw almost no uneven wear. He did a great demonstration of how an over-pronator walks (I almost fell over laughing! 'That's how one of my friends walks!') I ordered a pair of New Balance 877 running shoes :)

I walked the beach at sunset again, not as casual as last night, came home, stretched, iced, and then experienced a 'toothache' in my left heel for a scary five minutes - then the pain went away. My PF was telling me something, like slowdown. The ice didn't feel right, either. To ice or not to ice, that is the question.

wendyn on 2/03/00 at 00:00 (015448)

Don't you be laughing at us 'over-pronators', we don't realize how silly we look because we don't see ourselves walk. I can see it in my kids though - and you're right - it does look silly. I have the added bonus of feet that turn out (my right worse than my left). After watching Dances With Wolves several years ago, I came up with an Indian name for myself.....'Walks Like a Duck'.

Pat on 2/03/00 at 00:00 (015450)

You tell him Wendy! I had it hard enough as a kid teased on my incredibly flat feet. My nickname was 'Flipper' !

And yes, pronation make it look just like a duck, especially when one's toes turn outward. Those ol flat feet flattening and ankles rolling inwards...it justa ain't pretty :-)

SusanG on 2/01/00 at 00:00 (015390)

I have flat feet, and after getting used to my orthodics and after physical therapy I am pain free from the PF, I also have had major ankle problems over the years which contributed to the PF

Rick R on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015394)

Pat,

Mine are pretty darned flat. If I hadn't worn some type of arch support since childhood I suspect they would be completely flat. Did you ever wonder why the army woundn't take flat footed men into the infantry? What was the mode of failure or difficulty supposed to be? Good question!

Rick

caryne on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015401)

I definitely have flat feet and bad heel pain

Marti C on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015402)

I have a very high arch and Ive had PF for 3 years. I think, my husband is starting to develop pf. He has very flat feet.
Marti

Elise M. on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015407)

Hi all,
I have very high arches and a very high instep. My PF is only 9 months long and I'm having some very good weeks lately with minimal pain. I attribute this to finally finding the combination of things, arch supports, gel heel pads, stretching exercizes, rest, otc analgesics and diet/weightloss that work for me.....Feel better...Elise

Lori S on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015409)

I have a very HIGH arch and didn't find this out until about 8 years into my PF pain. Orthotics help tremendously and I wonder if, having the right support, I might have prevented the pain I've had? Growing up in the FL Keys, I hardly ever wore shoes except the open toed sandles I wore to school. Absolutely NO support. This is an interesting thread...
Lori in AZ

wendyn on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015413)

Flat feet - pretty ugly feet too as far as feet go.

Nancy S. on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015414)

I am interested in this, and posted a while ago asking how one tells if the arch is high, normal, or flat, but I got no response. Maybe no one knows how to tell? Does a doctor have to tell you? I'd like to figure out which of these beautiful arch styles I have. Can I tell by just examining my own foot? If so, I will post result here.

Laurie R on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015419)

Hi I have very very very high arch I had a PT a while back and she said that my arches were so high that it is no wonder that I did'nt get PF earlier.Laurie R

Colleen G on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015421)

I have very flat feet and my ankles roll in a lot. I practically walk on the bone. You know the one with the bump. I don't know what it's called. I guess I'm having a senior moment.

Nicole V.R. on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015426)

Yes, I have had several doctors tell me I have high arches just by examining my feet.

Re: Flat feet =PF ? --

Martha B. on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015428)

I have high arches that flatten(roll inward)whem I walk.I was told this by a physical therapist who watches me walk barefoot.

Bob G. on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015434)

I think my feet are 'normal' :D , but I wonder what defines. Today I had a certified podiatheripist (spelling?) examine the wear pattern of my Florsheim Comfortechs (two years old). He saw almost no uneven wear. He did a great demonstration of how an over-pronator walks (I almost fell over laughing! 'That's how one of my friends walks!') I ordered a pair of New Balance 877 running shoes :)

I walked the beach at sunset again, not as casual as last night, came home, stretched, iced, and then experienced a 'toothache' in my left heel for a scary five minutes - then the pain went away. My PF was telling me something, like slowdown. The ice didn't feel right, either. To ice or not to ice, that is the question.

wendyn on 2/03/00 at 00:00 (015448)

Don't you be laughing at us 'over-pronators', we don't realize how silly we look because we don't see ourselves walk. I can see it in my kids though - and you're right - it does look silly. I have the added bonus of feet that turn out (my right worse than my left). After watching Dances With Wolves several years ago, I came up with an Indian name for myself.....'Walks Like a Duck'.

Pat on 2/03/00 at 00:00 (015450)

You tell him Wendy! I had it hard enough as a kid teased on my incredibly flat feet. My nickname was 'Flipper' !

And yes, pronation make it look just like a duck, especially when one's toes turn outward. Those ol flat feet flattening and ankles rolling inwards...it justa ain't pretty :-)