Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cross Country Skiing???

Posted by VickiJ on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015411)

I did a search on the board for posts regarding skiing and am perplexed by the range of responses....so....are any of you that have had PF for more than one year cross country skiers and do you find that you can ski even if you can't walk?
I am barely able to walk again...short distances (six blocks), stand and do dishes, etc, for the first time in over two years (spent them on crutches) I can do 15 to 30minutes on the Nordic Trac without pain also where before I couldn't...but I am able to X country for over an hour! Anyone with similar experience...if so, my question is, are you able to rollar blade also? I do not know how to skate (grew up in a town with out sidewalks) but would love it if I could get the same exercise (OUTSIDE) benefits after the snow is gone without hurting my pf.

Re: Cross Country Skiing???

John V on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015422)

I, too, find it perplexing. Even when my PF has been particularly bad, I have been able to cross country ski without pain. Skate technique seems to be better than classic. I can skate 10 miles, when I'm not able to walk a half mile and certainly not run. Between skiing and biking I've been able to maintain some semblance of aerobic fitness without being able to run. If you figure out the 'why' of the skiing question, please let me know.

Re: Cross Country Skiing??? and snowshoeing with a cast

Rosalind on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015436)

I wouldn't have dared to cross country ski last year. My pf was so bad there was no way I could flex my foot in that position. I had to replace my ski boots as I 'outgrew' them, so I switched from the three pin binding to the new system which I think is a lot less traumatic on the arch. I am happy to report I have been out twice now for about a half hour each time and did fine. I am doing everything in moderation, so can't report if I can ski for longer.

I can report though that many years ago I broke my foot and I was able to snowshoe even when I had my non-weight bearing cast on. The weight was distributed so evenly I didn't feel any pain at all. Last year I was in so much pain from pf that I doubt that I could have lifted even a light snowshoe. Plus I could wear only running shoes and didn't want to snowshoe in them. That problem is solved because I have found I can wear running shoes with N.E.O.S. overboots and it works fine.

Annette on 2/04/00 at 00:00 (015500)

HI,
I just tried to x-country ski yesterday, It felt so great to get outside and work out really hard!(I am a runner and am missing the intensity of that kind of workout) I have to say it felt pretty good and I pushed really hard, I didn't know what I was doing, but I did it hard. My foot was preety sore last night, which did discourage me a bit, but then I had to realize that I havent X-country skied in over 10 years and even then I only did it a few times. so I Iced the heck out of my foot and then heated it this morning followed by icing it through out the day, it feels pretty good but I 'm not going to try and ski for a few more days, I am really excited about this, for I miss running this winter terribly.
take care and let me know how the skiing is for your foot.
Annette

John V on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015422)

I, too, find it perplexing. Even when my PF has been particularly bad, I have been able to cross country ski without pain. Skate technique seems to be better than classic. I can skate 10 miles, when I'm not able to walk a half mile and certainly not run. Between skiing and biking I've been able to maintain some semblance of aerobic fitness without being able to run. If you figure out the 'why' of the skiing question, please let me know.

Re: Cross Country Skiing??? and snowshoeing with a cast

Rosalind on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015436)

I wouldn't have dared to cross country ski last year. My pf was so bad there was no way I could flex my foot in that position. I had to replace my ski boots as I 'outgrew' them, so I switched from the three pin binding to the new system which I think is a lot less traumatic on the arch. I am happy to report I have been out twice now for about a half hour each time and did fine. I am doing everything in moderation, so can't report if I can ski for longer.

I can report though that many years ago I broke my foot and I was able to snowshoe even when I had my non-weight bearing cast on. The weight was distributed so evenly I didn't feel any pain at all. Last year I was in so much pain from pf that I doubt that I could have lifted even a light snowshoe. Plus I could wear only running shoes and didn't want to snowshoe in them. That problem is solved because I have found I can wear running shoes with N.E.O.S. overboots and it works fine.

Annette on 2/04/00 at 00:00 (015500)

HI,
I just tried to x-country ski yesterday, It felt so great to get outside and work out really hard!(I am a runner and am missing the intensity of that kind of workout) I have to say it felt pretty good and I pushed really hard, I didn't know what I was doing, but I did it hard. My foot was preety sore last night, which did discourage me a bit, but then I had to realize that I havent X-country skied in over 10 years and even then I only did it a few times. so I Iced the heck out of my foot and then heated it this morning followed by icing it through out the day, it feels pretty good but I 'm not going to try and ski for a few more days, I am really excited about this, for I miss running this winter terribly.
take care and let me know how the skiing is for your foot.
Annette