Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Acupuncture number 2 and my rambling thought in general

Posted by wendyn on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015432)

Had acupuncture again today. Decided that I liked it a lot less this time than I did last time. I am not sure why the experience was so different, but it may very well have been my mental state - I simply DID NOT want to be there. I think I am dealing with an attitude problem.

The series of needles I got while laying on my stomach were okay, a few in my shoulders (for lungs/phleghm?) one each near my kidneys (for circulation/energy) and one behind each knee (for lower extremity pain).

I had told the PT about my experience after leaving last week (my right foot being very stiff and uncooperative). She was not sure what to make of that response, but decided against putting needles directy into that foot this time.

I got one on either side of my forehad(I'm sure I looked lovely) and one in each wrist (I think for lungs/phleghm too). She put a few near each knee and one on the outside of my left knee did something strange. It didn't hurt when she put it in, but when she spun it, a shock zapped right down into my outer toes. Of course, then I tensed up and the needle was uncomfortable. She had to remove it and re-do that one. When she removed one from my left foot, I had a similar sensation. Don't know what any of this means.

That said, my disposition did not improve after acupuncture, but - my feet and the rest of me have actually felt really good today. Subsequently, my outlook has improved since this morning. Hmmmm...I will reserve my official judgement on what I think of this voo-doo sticking until I've had more experiences to judge from.

I am excited for all of you that will be checking this treatment out at the end of February. I really hope that this is the answer for at least a few of you....if anyone hears of any experimental treatment for TTS (preferably one that doesn't involve needle sticking) please let me know!

Re: Acupuncture number 2 and my rambling thought in general

Rosalind on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015437)

Just to encourage you, I had very good results on my TTS with acupunture. I became impatient with it curing pf however. Not to scare you, but one day the good (and he was good) doctor forgot to take all of the needles out. I was getting ready to land with both feet on the floor when luckily I felt a strange sensation and paused at the last instant. I then realized he had left all of the needles in the bottom of my feet. He had left me alone in the room to 'take my time' getting up and went on to another patient, so I had to lie there and yell for someone to go get him to remove the needles. I was mildly traumatized, and so was he, but we got over it.

Nancy S. on 2/03/00 at 00:00 (015440)

A friend of mine having a long series of acupuncture treatments one day left the acupuncturist's office and did several errands -- grocery shopping, etc. She got some funny looks but didn't think much of it until she got home, looked in the mirror, and found a big acupuncture needle had been left sticking out of her head. She thought this was pretty funny. She probably looked as lovely as you, Wendy, only many more people got to take in the sight!
Watched a documentary video the other night of acupuncture in China being used as anesthesia for operations. The film followed a woman having a goiter removed from her throat -- blood, guts, and all. She was completely calm and able to handle the operation with little discomfort, and shortly afterward was sitting up in bed eating an orange. I was amazed. -- Nancy

YokoS on 2/03/00 at 00:00 (015460)

Wendy, when you posted after your 1st treatment, you said treatment wasn't uncomfortable and you felt 'piece of cake'. Johnh also didn't complain about his treatmen. I was shocked when compare to my treatment. I finished 9th treatment last saturday.
I never got used to pain, sensation and discomfort since the 1st one. (1) My technician is not board certified. Even though he has several Chinese certificates in his room, my isurance doesn't cover.
(2) He doesn't speak even single English word. All our communication made via his 16yrs old daughter, and I don't understand how his needle works by her translation. (3)I did failed acupuncture treatment last summer in Japan (my native country). Because of 3 reasons, I was dealing w/my attitude (dilemma) problem too.

He puts 3 needles and moves those around all over left foot where I have touchable spurs and 24hrs of pain. Needles on top, toes, arch and ball areas are really no big deal, ' piece of cake', but when he puts needles right on the spur, I was jumped, and sweat, moreover when he spun it, I felt like throwing up and faint by spread out sensations every single time last 9 weeks.
That's why I envy you guys said ' not uncomfortable'.

Even though I never got used to the sensation, my condition is improving. Thank you Lori AZ, if you didn't strongly recommended for acupuncture, I don't bother to go back again. I become 100% pain free and my touchable knots disappeared and heel become very soft right after the treatment (really amazing). TOO BAD IT DOESN'T LAST LONG. Knots become touchable by night (same day). But duration of pain free is slowly and slowly extending in each week. First 3 weeks, pain comes back by monday, but now it's about thursday.

Due to weather, I do not try long run (over 5 miles) now, so I can not say anything definately positive, but I feel a tiny bud in my heel is rising, therefore, I do continue the treatment until I broke. Take care.

wendyn on 2/03/00 at 00:00 (015483)

Wow, that sounds like a horrible experience. Are you comfortable going to someone that is not 'board certified'? Is there anyone in your area that is certified that might be able to communicate better with you?

I am hoping to find some time to do some research on acupuncture, something I was reading today mentioned that sensations (dull, pressure, or shooting sensations) are a good sign. Here's hoping.

I guess when it comes down to it, the sensations I had were not 'pain' but they were very very strong sensations - very similar to a zap (much like the EMG test zap).

My feet are not great tonight (really hot) but I feel great overall. I am thinking that perhaps the acupuncture is helping me in general. Like I said, I will reserve official judgement on the acupuncture until I have completed the 6 or 8 treatments.

Rosalind on 2/04/00 at 00:00 (015496)

You should not have that kind of pain. I had one treatment from an accupuncturist who caused me a lot of pain, although not as bad as you describe. So I went to another acupuncturist with a very good reputation. There are many different ways to treat this condition with acupuncture. I would get another acupuncturist and not go back to the one you describe.

john h on 2/04/00 at 00:00 (015505)

yoko: i am amazed that you can run 5 miles. i have had 8 appuncture treatments (5 element appuncture type). I at first thought i was receiving some help but i seem to be about the same after 8 treatments.

Rosalind on 2/02/00 at 00:00 (015437)

Just to encourage you, I had very good results on my TTS with acupunture. I became impatient with it curing pf however. Not to scare you, but one day the good (and he was good) doctor forgot to take all of the needles out. I was getting ready to land with both feet on the floor when luckily I felt a strange sensation and paused at the last instant. I then realized he had left all of the needles in the bottom of my feet. He had left me alone in the room to 'take my time' getting up and went on to another patient, so I had to lie there and yell for someone to go get him to remove the needles. I was mildly traumatized, and so was he, but we got over it.

Nancy S. on 2/03/00 at 00:00 (015440)

A friend of mine having a long series of acupuncture treatments one day left the acupuncturist's office and did several errands -- grocery shopping, etc. She got some funny looks but didn't think much of it until she got home, looked in the mirror, and found a big acupuncture needle had been left sticking out of her head. She thought this was pretty funny. She probably looked as lovely as you, Wendy, only many more people got to take in the sight!
Watched a documentary video the other night of acupuncture in China being used as anesthesia for operations. The film followed a woman having a goiter removed from her throat -- blood, guts, and all. She was completely calm and able to handle the operation with little discomfort, and shortly afterward was sitting up in bed eating an orange. I was amazed. -- Nancy

YokoS on 2/03/00 at 00:00 (015460)

Wendy, when you posted after your 1st treatment, you said treatment wasn't uncomfortable and you felt 'piece of cake'. Johnh also didn't complain about his treatmen. I was shocked when compare to my treatment. I finished 9th treatment last saturday.
I never got used to pain, sensation and discomfort since the 1st one. (1) My technician is not board certified. Even though he has several Chinese certificates in his room, my isurance doesn't cover.
(2) He doesn't speak even single English word. All our communication made via his 16yrs old daughter, and I don't understand how his needle works by her translation. (3)I did failed acupuncture treatment last summer in Japan (my native country). Because of 3 reasons, I was dealing w/my attitude (dilemma) problem too.

He puts 3 needles and moves those around all over left foot where I have touchable spurs and 24hrs of pain. Needles on top, toes, arch and ball areas are really no big deal, ' piece of cake', but when he puts needles right on the spur, I was jumped, and sweat, moreover when he spun it, I felt like throwing up and faint by spread out sensations every single time last 9 weeks.
That's why I envy you guys said ' not uncomfortable'.

Even though I never got used to the sensation, my condition is improving. Thank you Lori AZ, if you didn't strongly recommended for acupuncture, I don't bother to go back again. I become 100% pain free and my touchable knots disappeared and heel become very soft right after the treatment (really amazing). TOO BAD IT DOESN'T LAST LONG. Knots become touchable by night (same day). But duration of pain free is slowly and slowly extending in each week. First 3 weeks, pain comes back by monday, but now it's about thursday.

Due to weather, I do not try long run (over 5 miles) now, so I can not say anything definately positive, but I feel a tiny bud in my heel is rising, therefore, I do continue the treatment until I broke. Take care.

wendyn on 2/03/00 at 00:00 (015483)

Wow, that sounds like a horrible experience. Are you comfortable going to someone that is not 'board certified'? Is there anyone in your area that is certified that might be able to communicate better with you?

I am hoping to find some time to do some research on acupuncture, something I was reading today mentioned that sensations (dull, pressure, or shooting sensations) are a good sign. Here's hoping.

I guess when it comes down to it, the sensations I had were not 'pain' but they were very very strong sensations - very similar to a zap (much like the EMG test zap).

My feet are not great tonight (really hot) but I feel great overall. I am thinking that perhaps the acupuncture is helping me in general. Like I said, I will reserve official judgement on the acupuncture until I have completed the 6 or 8 treatments.

Rosalind on 2/04/00 at 00:00 (015496)

You should not have that kind of pain. I had one treatment from an accupuncturist who caused me a lot of pain, although not as bad as you describe. So I went to another acupuncturist with a very good reputation. There are many different ways to treat this condition with acupuncture. I would get another acupuncturist and not go back to the one you describe.

john h on 2/04/00 at 00:00 (015505)

yoko: i am amazed that you can run 5 miles. i have had 8 appuncture treatments (5 element appuncture type). I at first thought i was receiving some help but i seem to be about the same after 8 treatments.