Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How to determine your foot type

Posted by Pat on 2/03/00 at 00:00 (015446)

Earlier on the thread about flat feet/high arches someone asked how can you tell if you have flat feet or not. One way is just look at your arches on your inner feet while standing barefoot. If you are flatfooted your arch will be very low or touch the ground level.

Another way is the Wet Footprint Test. Wet your feet and step on a piece of paper,(dark like contruction Paper) be sure you are stepping on a hard flat surface.

If you have a high arch (as some said) your print will only show the forefoot/toes and the heel, nothing in the middle

If you have a normal arch you will see the the forefoot/toes, heel and and a more slender area in print in the middle. The area where the arch is will not show print, therefore the imprint line will curve inwards, making the middle of the print more slender than the foot and heel.

If you have a flat foot, most if not all of your foot print will show.
There will be little no inner curve on the print for the arch. I have totally flat feet (no arch) and my print looks like a duck footprint. This is extremely flat, but usually rare. There are different degrees of flat feet. A very low to flat arch is considered flatfooted.

Re: How to determine your foot type

Lucy M on 2/03/00 at 00:00 (015455)

Thanks for the info. I had been wondering how to determine this.

Re: How to determine your foot type

Lucy M on 2/03/00 at 00:00 (015455)

Thanks for the info. I had been wondering how to determine this.